Quicken ID Sign-In Window Appears in Background when Entering Q Data File Password

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lastly..... same exact Quicken file...
    With the Data File Password defined ---> problem screen
    Without any password defined ---> NO Problem

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Something is causing these people's Quicken to contact the server "every time" when using a custom password, but that isn't the "norm".
    Here is my screen with my network disabled.

Notice no message about not being able to connect?

The big problem here is that we have no idea of how the "connect to check for license" works other than some random statements like "you can use Quicken offline".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GLE81342
    GLE81342 Member ✭✭
    When I think of it none of this occurred until the R25.18 update was installed.
    Why would our virus protection and or any Malware cause this when all along the problem has not occurred before the update???
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Anyone verified using held Ctrl key while opening Quicken goes right to blank screen without prompt for ID?
  • PCWizard
    PCWizard Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I'm also suffering from the double login issue. It has been occurring through several of the last Quicken version upgrades. Currently running:
    Windows 10 - 1909 (OS Build 18363.720) 64 Bit
    Quicken 2020, R26.23, Build 27.1.26.23
    AVG, Malwarebytes (free, no av), Spybot (free, no av), Microsoft Defender
    Pausing AVG has no effect
    Setting exceptions for the paths you specified in AVG has no effect
    Safe Mode w/Networking has no effect.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    GLE81342 said:
    Why would our virus protection and or any Malware cause this when all along the problem has not occurred before the update???

Exactly
  • Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @markus1957 said:
    > Anyone verified using held Ctrl key while opening Quicken goes right to blank screen without prompt for ID?

Tried it. No difference.....
  • markus1957
    @Don Bartenstein - Please clarify, does ID screen present when holding CTRL key to open Quicken.  No data file should load, but it means something if ID screen still presents itself without the data filer loading.  If the data file loads, it means you did not hold Ctrl until Quicken completely loaded.
  • MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    Holding down the CTRL key does not open a Quicken file, but it does display the ID screen.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Don Bartenstein - Please clarify, does ID screen present when holding CTRL key to open Quicken.  No data file should load, but it means something if ID screen still presents itself without the data filer loading.  If the data file loads, it means you did not hold Ctrl until Quicken completely loaded.
    I held the CTRL key starting Quicken and never released the CTRL key.  The ID screen still presented itself after about 10 seconds.  There was no datafile password request for the default datafile.  So it appears to not have loaded.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• markus1957
    The plot thickens and seems to point a software registration problem.  Can you log on to your Quicken account, see your renewal status and download a copy of the software from Quicken?

Are all of you experiencing issues retail customers?  I wonder if a pre-registered copy from Quicken might behave differently if installed?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    GLE81342 said:

Exactly

Because cause and effect are sometimes very hard to figure out.  When we see two things happen near the same time we tend to believe that one causes the other.  And as such when troubleshooting such problems that can't be figured out, we do question a given cause and effect.

But in truth what is going on here is pure speculation because no one has an handle on exactly what is causing this.

Just to confirm I believe it has been stated that reverting back to a version of Quicken before the problem patch works right?

If so I think that all the speculation about system configurations and such are probably not going to lead to a solution.

Also I believe Divemaster asked why they can't just look at what was changed in that patch and figure it out, and I will give you a guess on that from a developer's point of view.

First off the change might not "jump out at them".  As in it is possible that they changed something in part of the program that seems to have nothing to do with this problem, that in fact caused the problem.

But even more to the point is that it is clearly not happening on the developer's machine.
    Now say you have 10 changes in that patch how do you know which one is causing the problem if you can't reproduce that problem on your machine?  (other than guessing)  And also say you make a guess at it how do you prove that your change fixes the problem if you can't reproduce the problem?

That is the crux of the problem.
    Signature:
  • markus1957
    Adding- one more longshot.

A while back there was a similar looking issue with a blank or success screen when opening a Quicken file.  Holding the Ctrl key and clicking Validate added an authentication block fix to the validation routine.  Has anyone tried that?

https://www.quicken.com/support/why-am-i-being-asked-sign-my-quicken-id-repeatedly-or-why-am-i-being-asked-activation-code
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I held the CTRL key starting Quicken and never released the CTRL key.  The ID screen still presented itself after about 10 seconds.  There was no datafile password request for the default datafile.  So it appears to not have loaded.

If holding Ctrl when opening Quicken in 24.14 Quicken will only open with blank screen with menus and you have to click on file drop down for selection of a file to open. 

I have had retail versions for many years and just renew by getting a new retail version.  Have never downloaded from Quicken.  Years ago I did download what I believe is called a Mondo patch and as I understood it was really a full version with all recent code changes.  This problem started when I went to 25.18, but since I do images prior to updating software I just restored, and put in a UAC so I have to okay when Quicken tries to force update.  Wish Quicken would take approach of just saying there is an update, do you want it?   Windows 10 I had to modify group policy via gpedit.msc to stop it from updating on its own.  I like controlling my own updates!  Developers could work with someone by giving them some code modified to track where it's going to display this screen we don't want.   I use to do this in some Assembly code I wrote for mainframes, if I used COBOL I could put in what called a trace and get sequence of executed code. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Divemaster To go back to a previous patch version of Quicken should be as easy as installing the Mondo patch for that version.  You can get it from here:

Note the difference between the "old" non Mondo patch and the Mondo patch is that the old patches (which they don't have for downloading any more) install based on the versions in the files, and as such skip files with a version equal or greater than the one in the install.  It still would include all the "changes" up to that point.  Mondo means "large", because it wasn't just a diff in the changes.  But more importantly it ignores the version numbers in the files and just copies over every file.  This allows for fixing corrupted files even though their version number might be OK.

Note though the "standard way" of going to a previous release is to uninstall Quicken and then reinstall when your Internet connection down so that it can't pick up the newer version.  And then installing the previous Mondo patch install.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I use to do this in some Assembly code I wrote for mainframes, if I used COBOL I could put in what called a trace and get sequence of executed code. 

Quicken Inc seems to be very reluctant to do things like this.  But definitely agree that would be the best way to get to the bottom of what the problem is.
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Many of you said that this started with one of the recent releases and named few. So I uninstalled my current R26.21 and installed R20.15 which is the only older one I have from a CD (did a clean uninstall, cleaned Win registry, wifi off during reinstall ..., used the instructions, you experts know what I am referring to).

* Not only the issue is non-existent in the older one
    But wait, there is more:
    * The older release is significantly faster! (program launch, OSU, going from account-to-account, making batch changes, etc.).

The performance difference stood out right away and then I began analyzing Task Manager data between the two releases which indicated the same. My guess is that they made few FUNDAMENTAL changes in one or some of the in-between releases. (I also did side-by-side tests on two identical laptops considering all variables AND switching the installed versions on both laptops)

I am going to stick with the older version without updating as long as I can/don’t run into the issues that were fixed since I find the better performance a bonus.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed a performance issue on startup during the handshake that take place, but after that I haven't really noticed any performance.  Something is going on at that startup that is taking longer, I am on 24.14, not sure when the long startup begin?  But it does point to the issue with 25, it seems the last few updates was doing something with the handshake startup?   NOt sure why they even have it for someone like me, just have a preference that lets you decide if you want checked for updates or whatever else is being looked at.  As far as contract date being up, that could all be local, no need to call home. 
  • pspiel
    pspiel Member ✭✭✭
    I've been having this problem for a while, but now it's worse because now it won't let me go forward without actually entering my Quicken login password, except that it won't accept my password. I tried it at the web site and it stopped working their too. Eventually I got a message saying I needed to change my password because an administrator made a change to my account. I changed my Quicken login password and was then able to log in to the web site, but I still can't get the Quicken application to accept the password, so I cannot download anything or do One-Step update.

Win 7
    Quicken Deluxe
    Year: 2020
    Version: R26.23
    Build: 27.1.26.23
    Membership Valid until 1/26/2021
  • GLE81342
    GLE81342 Member ✭✭
    Yesterday opening Quicken this appeared. Had to get into Quicken from the most recent back up.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    GLE81342 said:
    Yesterday opening Quicken this appeared. Had to get into Quicken from the most recent back up.
    This is the screen that will appear when Quicken is not able to open the Quicken file at the most recently saved location.  You should have been able to select Get Started and the appropriate file.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Issue started with 27.1.25.10

Adding additional info to my earlier comment of May 17 (5 above this):
    While testing I incrementally installed patch updates and this "login issue with having a file password" started once I installed 27.1.25.10 (and beyond). Everything before that version works fine. Hope this helps Quicken team with their investigation.

This also backs up what two others mentioned (one said after 24.14 and another said started in 25.18). Cheers.

• eagle11
    eagle11 Member
    I'm also getting another screen occasionally along with the one currently under discussion.
    "An error occurred. Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load."
  • johnleb
    johnleb Member ✭✭
    When I turn off Norton Security, I still get the 2 logon screens.
  • muchy1
    muchy1 Member ✭✭✭
    I disabled my password. Shut down and restarted Quicken two times without the sign in window appearing. Will it recur? We'll see.
    Windows 10, Quicken Deluxe 2020, Version R26.23, Build 27.1.26.23
  • Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @muchy1 said:
    > I disabled my password. Shut down and restarted Quicken two times without the sign in window appearing. Will it recur? We'll see.
    > Windows 10, Quicken Deluxe 2020, Version R26.23, Build 27.1.26.23

And if you turn the password back on?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    muchy1 said:
    I disabled my password. Shut down and restarted Quicken two times without the sign in window appearing. Will it recur? We'll see.
    Windows 10, Quicken Deluxe 2020, Version R26.23, Build 27.1.26.23

It is known that the problem only happens if you have a password set on your Quicken data file.

Edit:
    And even then only for "some people" the root cause isn't known.  What is also known is that reverting to R24.14 or earlier will get rid of the problem too.
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    We have identified that the issue started after R24.14 (I too verified doing multiple tests). Now why only for some users but not all is the puzzle (UserID, License?)

Long shot WAG: How about the graphics card in our PCs? The performance degradation is what I noticed. Specifically, I get 3-4 program refreshes upon launch, one being all black (yes, my Quicken program becomes all black color and refreshes few times more). Ditto after an OSU and some other activities.

No such behavior issue with R24.14, but hell breaks loose after that for me as far as performance is concerned!

So perhaps changes post R24.14 update is putting extra demand on some [weaker] graphics/video components, and as a result slowing down the program including the handshake communication with the Quicken server. This may possibly explain the other recent post about slowness of OSU.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't think graphic card??   Reason all works well if you don't use a data file password.    Also, even in 24.14 I notice in some cases a performance issue on startup and others times not so much.  This could be load on server it is handshaking with under load?  I think we have determined the issue is in handshake as doesn't happen if disconnect from internet.   If I remember when disconnected from internet on 25+ you get a blank extra login scree?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

There is a bug on the Quicken Activation Server, that does not appear, when using the installer downloaded from your Quicken Account. If you uninstall Quicken and leave the folders left over, you will still get the background. The method / procedure cleans Quicken from the computer, before reinstalling.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.