Calculate Estimated Income (8 merged votes)

Options
2»

Comments

• Jose
    Jose Member ✭✭
    Options

I have posted this issue under a question. Quicken cannot calculate a "yield on cost basis." It can calculate "Estimated income" in portfolio view. So the next step is merely taking "Estimated income" and dividing "cost basis" into it. This gives the amount of dividend yield on the original cost, and not only on the current value.

• Jose
    Jose Member ✭✭
    Options

There should be a feature in the "Estimated Income" column where you have a choice to use the Quicken downloaded data or to manually input this date. It is not any different than the Tax Planner function which provides the same flexibility to use Quicken calculated data or to override the quicken data and input manually.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Planned as it has been accepted by our Product and Development team for future implementation. Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released.

Thank you

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Jayashree
    Quicken Jayashree Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta admin
    Options

Hello All,

We have recently added a new investment report by name 'Income by Security' that captures different kinds of income from investments. Request you to:

1. Check out the 'Income by Security' report to see if it solves your need to view various kinds of income for different time ranges.
    2. If you have tried this report already (or after you try), let us know what is missing in this report, to make the income tracking better for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jayashree

Just to be clear, the new Income by Security report is nice, but it does not address the proposal being discussed in this Idea post. The Estimated Income column in the Portfolio views shows the projected annual income of your current holdings. It is currently calculated by multiplying the shares held on the view's As of date by a manually entered estimated income in $/share. This proposal is to have Quicken optionally supply the estimated income based on the "Annual Div/Shr" data which is already downloaded with the quote data and displayed on the Security Detail page for most stocks and ETFs. There needs to be an option for each security for the user to continue to enter this manually because Annual Div/Shr data is not available for all securities and some users would like to include interest, return of capital, and capital gains distributions as "Income".

For feedback on the Income by Security report, I suggest you review this Idea post and ask for more comments there. I see you commented there in September.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Hi All,

We've developed this option for a future release—

It will look similar to this:

If the quote feed amount is zero, Quicken will use the estimated amount from the security list regardless of the checkbox settings.

This is likely to be launched in a couple of release cycles—please let us know if you have any feedback!

Thanks—

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Jim_Harman
    edited December 2023
    Options

I think the setting should be on a per-security basis on the Security Detail page, similar to the security asset allocation setting.

The setting might look like this (pardon the crude graphics)

The reasoning is that downloaded annual dividend per share information is not available for many securities - mutual funds and securities that are not publicly traded for example - and thus users would want to supply that data manually for those securities but not others. Also some users like to include non-dividend information in the estimated income - capital gains distributions, interest, etc., even if the dividend data is available.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @Jim_Harman that this should be handled and addressed at the Security Detail level, not the portfolio view level. If users opts for "Downloaded Div/Share" it should be dynamic changing as the downloaded data changes. Not a one-time fill in the Est Income filed with Div/Sh at the time checked.

Beyond that, the Help for this feature would need to be specific that, when checked, the program is using the currently available "Ann Div/Sh" for that field as presented in the "Quote" section of the "Security Detail View" as the Estimated Income for that security. That value may not include all income produced by the security in the last 12 months or that might be expected in the next 12 months. Such issues as suspended dividends, capital gains distributions, and interest may account for differences.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I'm going to weigh in saying don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good solution. Rejecting a ready to implement solution for a simple request made 3.5 years ago would set implementation back a year or more.

Moreover, I would rather see the current one/two click solution as opposed to one that requires hundreds of clicks to implement.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@markus1957 Point well made, though I also see this proposal taking an irreversible path. That would be the troubling side for me. Is it really the right path long term? I don't think so, personally.

@Quicken Kathryn perhaps a more constructive comment — If going that route, I would rather see the checkbox label refer directly to "Ann Div/Shr" as shown in the Quote box for a security. "dividends", although we all think we know what that means, is unnecessarily vague.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I don't see the downside of the current path or any long-term issue. I'll be watching when it shows up in Beta, but I'd bet the Income field will be dynamic just as the annual dividend field is now. My view is the developers have taken the most expedient path allowing for a generic application across all securities with 2 clicks and the means to control them individually if desired by manually filling in the income value at the security detail level and only clicking the first box. Hopefully they have not missed putting in some logic to exclude bonds or other securities which do not get the data needed in downloads.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

How would they handle Closed End Stocks and funds that pay a Total Dist. Rate?

Example: UTG—-8.53%

Would they treat that the same as a dividend?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

They would use whatever the quote provider downloads as the "Ann Div/Shr". You can see this on the Security Detail page. Try it and see.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The quote provider indicates the Ann Div/Shr is $2.28. That is the value that would be used as Estimated Income / share / year. The Estimated Income column would show that value x your current number of shares.

The 8.53% is the Dividend Yield (dividend / current price) — that is, $2.28/share divided by $26.7/share = 8.53% yield

• Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback! We will update the text from "Use dividends from quote feed for estimate income" to "Use 'Ann Div/Shr' from quote feed for estimated income".

In addition, our developer says: effectively, users do have per-security control over the use of the quote feed for estimated income -- if you leave the second check box blank, you can set Est Income when you want to and leave it blank otherwise and know that it will be supplied from the quote feed.  The second check box should be checked for users who manually set Est Income years ago and don't care about those dated values.

Thanks—

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

Thanks for the additional info, @Quicken Kristina

This new capability would be even more useful if Quicken's quote provider could be persuaded to supply the "Ann Div/Shr" data for mutual funds as well as stocks and ETFs. Currently that and a lot of the other quote data for mutual funds is reported as "N/A"