Credit Card Downloads are BACKWARDS

DenainKC
DenainKC Member
Has anyone figured out how to fix this???

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By any chance is this for a Truist visa?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    More details on your specific problem, please.
    What bank are you having issues with.
    Are charge transactions truly recorded as if they were payments and vice versa? Or is there a problem with a credit card account balance unexpectedly running in the black (overpaid credit card) instead of in the red?

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• DenainKC
    DenainKC Member
    My issue is with my Community America Credit Union credit card.
  • shaynet
    shaynet Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem and with Truist
  • shaynet
    shaynet Member ✭✭
    charge transactions truly recorded as if they were payments and vice versa
  • shaynet
    shaynet Member ✭✭
    I am using direct connection as well. And the same things happen to me over the past few weeks. I thought the duplicate transactions and downloading prior transactions was a result of deactivating and reactivating; or possibly resettling.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All, 

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this, though we apologize for any inconvenience.

We are looking further into this matter. Meanwhile, if you are experiencing this, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files and (if possible) screenshots attached.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue.

The more problem reports we receive, the better! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MemphisBBQ
    MemphisBBQ Member ✭✭
    My discover card Quicken account now records charges as payments and vice versa. To illustrate, balance is $100 and I record a $20 charge. The balance then goes to $80, not $120. And if I record a $25 payment the balance goes up $25. I have made no changes in the account at all. How is this corrected?
  • MemphisBBQ
    MemphisBBQ Member ✭✭
    Here is the screen shot of Discover displaying a charge and deducting from the amount owed and a payment adding to the balance owed. Just began yesterday, 2022-04-29
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks ok.  You have more payments than charges.

First make sure you are sorted in Date order with the newest date at the bottom. If you are not then click the DATE Column heading to sort.

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening.  Or maybe you are missing some charges? 

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card.  Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned.   When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it.   And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance.  If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info.....

https://www.quicken.com/support/positive-black-balance-credit-card-account

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• tdursk
    tdursk Member
    This has not addressed the issue at all
  • tdursk
    tdursk Member
    I have a zero balance on starting CC but all downloads are backwards charges are payments and payments are charges. All my other cc from the past are correct. This one also show the credit balance of the CC at the bottom of register.
  • bp192837
    bp192837 Member
    I have the same issue with the community america credit union VISA card, since October 2021. This I have seen if I try to download the quicken data file from CACU and then import it into quicken manually. Additionally if you open the QXF file from CACU it is obvious that deits and credits are flipped. And then for the live quicken express web connect downloads, quicken either won't download the transactions or CACU won't send any. Maybe quicken figures out it backwards and won't accept it- i have no idea. I've around and around with CACU's support lines and since last October all they tell me is that they've sent my comments to their IT people. Nothing ever gets fixed, and as of today, may 31 2022, it still doesn't work.
  • Levi P
    Levi P Member
    > @bp192837 said:
    > I have the same issue with the community america credit union VISA card, since October 2021. This I have seen if I try to download the quicken data file from CACU and then import it into quicken manually. Additionally if you open the QXF file from CACU it is obvious that deits and credits are flipped. And then for the live quicken express web connect downloads, quicken either won't download the transactions or CACU won't send any. Maybe quicken figures out it backwards and won't accept it- i have no idea. I've around and around with CACU's support lines and since last October all they tell me is that they've sent my comments to their IT people. Nothing ever gets fixed, and as of today, may 31 2022, it still doesn't work.

I have this same issue. I download transactions from Simpli Financial and when they load, Quicken recognizes the initial balance entered as black, which is incorrect. If the card has a balance owing, it should be red.

Then, when you download the credit card's transactions, they are entered in the "charge" column as black, and the "amount" column as red, resulting in a deduction from the balance owed. In short, this is completely backward because it looks like credit card charges are payments.

The same thing happens with payments. When Quicken downloads from my bank account (not my credit card account), the payments add to the balance owing.

It makes it hard to budget, track spending, etc when simple issues like this are left unresolved.

I wish my credit card would have kept communicating with Mint Financial as it worked better than Quicken.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be showing the Charge, Payment & Balance columns.  Don't show the Amount column, that may confuse things.  Is it just the Balance going the wrong way or are the transactions actually in the wrong column?  Like Charges in the payment column?  

Sounds like you need to fix the beginning balance.  Scroll up and read my post above for things to check.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• bp192837
    bp192837 Member
    I recently figured out a workaround that at least allows me to download monthly QFX files, fix them, and upload them to Quicken.

The format used by CACU’s VISA card provider for the QFX file downloads has been incorrect since approximately October 2021. It has credits and debits reversed, both in tag name and in numerical sign. Here is a snippet showing the incorrect formats. I replaced some items here with [] for privacy. Comments are in ().

<STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>CREDIT (This should be tagged as “DEBIT”, not “CREDIT”)
    <DTPOSTED>[transaction date]
    <TRNAMT>500.50 (This sign should be negative)
    <FITID>[transaction ID]
    <SIC>[default category code]
    <NAME>[transaction/payee name]
    </STMTTRN>
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT (This should be tagged as “CREDIT”, not “DEBIT”)
    <DTPOSTED>[transaction date]
    <TRNAMT>-500.50 (This sign should be positive)
    <FITID>[transaction ID]
    <SIC>[default category code]
    <NAME>[transaction/payee name]
    </STMTTRN>

To fix the file so that it can be imported into Quicken, open the QFX file in a text editor and use the global search and replace feature. Perform the following find/replace operations in the following order. Use “replace all” feature.

Find: AMT>
    Replace all with: AMT>-
    Find: AMT>--
    Replace all with: AMT>

This will flip all of the numerical signs to the correct sense. Quicken seems to just assign credits and debits based on their numerical sign, and ignores the “CREDIT” and “DEBIT” tags, so the tags don’t need to corrected in order for the import to work, at least when I tried it.

Save the file and import into Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth the OFX standard actually says to ignore the TRNTYPE and just use the TRNAMT amount sign.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.