Chase EWC+

Options
Jerry Pederson
Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
Chase is going to change their sign-in system to VIA Quicken.  Has anyone received any info regarding this change over?

If so please share it with me.  Thanks

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Quick summary:  Chase has decided to discontinue support for DC and EWC and replace them with EWC+.  EWC+ offers the Financial Institution (FI) lower cost and apparently better security because it uses security tokens for OSU downloads.
    The downside of this is that those who have DC set up will lose that connection and for those who also use DC for Bank Bill Pay they will lose that function, as well.  Instead, they will need to log into their online account at Chase.com to schedule and maintain their Bill Pays.
    Another downside for those who use Quicken Bill Manager is they have lost Quick Pay with Chase but they can continue to use Check Pay.
    This new process was first cut in with Schwab last Nov and there were a lot of problems then.  But it was also cut in with Paypal (in Apr?) and that has gone much more smoothly.
    Chase is cutting in EWC+ in a staggered manner between earlier this month and the end of September when DC with them will be discontinued entirely.  Each person set up with Chase will receive a notification, including instructions, when it is their turn to make the transition.
    There have been several Announcements posted in this Community forum about this during the last couple of months.  Here are some:
    You can also do a search in this forum for posts made by others who are already going through the transition to see what their experience has been like.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Quick summary:  Chase has decided to discontinue support for DC and EWC and replace them with EWC+.  EWC+ offers the Financial Institution (FI) lower cost and apparently better security because it uses security tokens for OSU downloads.
    The downside of this is that those who have DC set up will lose that connection and for those who also use DC for Bank Bill Pay they will lose that function, as well.  Instead, they will need to log into their online account at Chase.com to schedule and maintain their Bill Pays.
    Another downside for those who use Quicken Bill Manager is they have lost Quick Pay with Chase but they can continue to use Check Pay.
    This new process was first cut in with Schwab last Nov and there were a lot of problems then.  But it was also cut in with Paypal (in Apr?) and that has gone much more smoothly.
    Chase is cutting in EWC+ in a staggered manner between earlier this month and the end of September when DC with them will be discontinued entirely.  Each person set up with Chase will receive a notification, including instructions, when it is their turn to make the transition.
    There have been several Announcements posted in this Community forum about this during the last couple of months.  Here are some:
    You can also do a search in this forum for posts made by others who are already going through the transition to see what their experience has been like.

• Jerry Pederson
    Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the update.

Do you know if the notification from Chase will be just a one-time notification or if Chase will send out several notifications to those Quicken users that will be affected by this change? My point is, that I am not sure if I received a notice or not.  Is there a way I can get a copy of the notice?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    I have not received a notification, yet, so I cannot post one for you here.  I do know that the rollout to Quicken users was going to be staged:  First to those who are setting up Chase in Quicken for the 1st time and to those who are set up only with EWC accounts.  Then later it will be rolled out to those who have DC accounts as well as those who have a mix of DC and EWC accounts.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I did find some pics of notifications posted in Community:
    This one is something most of Chase customers should have already received.  I think I got my notice of this early/mid last week.:
    Here is one that some said they have received from Chase.  I didn't receive this one.

But I have not found a posted picture of the actual invite to transition to EWC+ notice.
    What I did is try to add my Chase CC account (currently set up with DC) into a TEST file to see if it would set up with DC or EWC+.  I tried it several times and Chase would not allow me to set up my account in this TEST file at all yet in my main data file DC still works perfectly.  I'm guessing that Chase is purposely throttling account connections to comply with their own internal transition schedule.
    From my perspective, I am not anxious to do the transition now so I will not try to force it.  I'll wait until near the end of the transition plan (9/26) before I transition.  That will give Chase and Quicken plenty of time to work out the bugs.  If you do a search in Community you will see that some people are finding the transition to be working smoothly for them while others are experience problems getting the transition completed properly.  So, I'm happy to sit back and wait some.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    ADDED message Chase sends out after you authorize this:

I would like to say that the message in the image @Boatnmaniac posted is "misleading".   This part of it:

Note I'm faulting either @Boatnmaniac or the original poster, this message was posted as part of the change over, but it shouldn't be.

Let me explain that the above message is for Direct Connect, not for Express Web Connect +.  They have different "settings" on Chase's website and get setup quite differently.  Note that at this point you can no setup Direct Connect, if you deactivate your accounts that has Direct Connect you can't got back!
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7917784/chase-has-crossed-the-point-of-no-return-for-direct-connect-non-investment-accounts

First for Direct Connect you would get a secure message that you needed to authorized it.  You would click on a link and it world prefill in a number and they you clicked on that and you were "verified".
    And you would see this on their site:

For Express Web Connect+ here is the flow:
    First right off there are two possibilities (actually more if you count all the possible Chase/JP Morgan entries that you might choose).
    Typing in Chase and select Chase:

If you instead select this Chase button, it will take you directly to the above dialog.

Just so people have it, here is the link for the FAQ referenced in the "Sign in" dialog above:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/changes-your-account-services-quicken

Clicking on the Sign In button brings you to this dialog in Quicken and also opens a webpage in your default web browser:

Quicken waiting on a response from Chase.

The webpage, you go through your normal Chase login including 2FA if you have that enabled.

Note I think I took too long and this web page came up.

It did tell Quicken, because I got this dialog in Quicken:

Signing again...
    Selecting the accounts you want authorized.  Note that you can do this on an account level and there is a different section for "Apps" (not "Desktop software") in the Chase website where you can modify you choices.

Unfortunately, on the Quicken side:

So, I'm going to start over and whip through the process not stopping to take screenshots and transfer them to this message.
    That worked I got same "authorize successful" message from Chase and this from Quicken:

Note that when I went through the process the second time the savings account and the "joint" account were already selected, and couldn't be deselected from that page.  If you need to remove authorization for an account you need to go to Chase's "Apps" web page.
    Note that "Joint" isn't in the list of accounts to choose in Quicken.  Joint is an investment account and it seems that they aren't ready to switch those over, they are still Direct Connect only.

To get the get to the "Chase Apps" web page I was referring to you select Security & Privacy from the menu and that gives you this:

Message that Chase sends out on a successful authorization:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow. Of ALL the Chase threads (including my own) this comes closest to my issues. I NEVER get to the confirmation the authorization at Chase has completed, but I do get the emails. Quicken ALWAYS says it has fakled. Can never get this working!

Now I get an Alert in Quicken saying Chase Online Services are now available, but have not tried. I have been doing what has been siuggested in many thread s to deactivate, then set up new accounts and link to exisitng. If there is another/better way that *might* just work would love to know.

Thanks.

• dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Echo Bob! Your post provides a clean roadmap of a really challenging transition. Information for bank bill pay has been anything but clear.
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.