Fidelity Transactions Not Downloading

Options

Answers

• MBK
    MBK Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @mfFrom35k many thanks for the report that this issue (the issue that caused the link to Fidelity to break) appears to be solved.  I will try now to link to Chase, very definitely making a backup. 

This whole thing-how we have been treated-has been a case study on how a company can alienate and infuriate its customers.  I very much that Quicken has a successful future.  I'd even pay more in subscription fees for a product that actually, consistently worked.  But if Quicken continues to treat its customers like this it is not going to survive.  Which would be a shame.
  • mr rahs
    mr rahs Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @MBK said:
    > @mfFrom35k many thanks for the report that this issue (the issue that caused the link to Fidelity to break) appears to be solved.  I will try now to link to Chase, very definitely making a backup. 

For those that have restored from a backup prior to the issue, this would realistically work if Quicken has fixed the problems created with reauthorization of Chase accounts (and maybe BofA). For those of us that can't use a backup, the issue remains (if anyone has other info, please post). We still need for Quicken to be able to remove the EWC+ designation from affected accounts.

I've tried the method that robert w mentioned (thank you!). While it's not for the faint of heart or maybe best for everyone, it is sound. Personally, my first go had some problems because of transfers between affected accounts being recategorized. I may give it another try with a few modifications, but it requires yet more hours on top of what has already been spent. THE FACT REMAINS THAT WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE DOING ANY OF THIS. We're over a month into the problem and still nothing from Quicken. After over 30 years with the software, I am for the first time looking at alternatives.
  • MBK
    MBK Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw this single user thread on this forum:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20302507#Comment_20302507

It seems as if this individual has the same issue we are all having with Fidelity downloads.  Despite this thread (the one I am posting on) Quicken is having him do the same time consuming trouble shooting that they always ask people to do.  Apparently no awareness from Quicken that this might be a broader problem
  • mr rahs
    mr rahs Member ✭✭
    Options
    @MBK

I do believe that Quicken is acutely aware of the problem, mostly because it would be inconceivable for them not to be at this point. I was even told a few weeks ago that it had already been 'escalated' and it's reasonable to think that there are far more callers into support than posters on this thread. It's also safe to say that many thousands are being affected. Unfortunately, it is painfully obvious that there is a lack of communication between those that are actually working on it and the folks that interface with customers. Take this thread, for example. We had a few stock comments from mods early on, but once it became clear that it was a larger issue and users were out of necessity devising their own workarounds, we've gotten nothing. I feel for those that want to be able to help, but can't because they're not given the tools.

While I would typically hate to hear the phrase, "We are aware of the problem and are actively working to provide a solution," (with maybe a bit more detail) it would go a long way toward tempering the ill will that Quicken has created.
  • winecracker
    winecracker Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Yes @MBK; I agree. So, now I still can't download transactions from the one Fidelity problem account, AND I'm wasting time every day checking the posts on this forum for possible solutions. Quicken knows they have no real competitors; so they could care less about customer relations. I've seen this before. When companies stop communicating with their customers they go off the rails developing "solutions" they think customers want, but mostly turn out not to be what people want/need -- nor want to pay for.
  • Fighter Pilot
    Fighter Pilot Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Thomas Roche said:
    > One more time.... deactivate the problem account..... if there is anything in the account number and customer ID fields on the general tab... delete both and click OK.... last and most important step.... using Tools - Add Account - type in Fidelity Investments.... when asked, enter your Fidelity user id and password (make sure you check box to save to vault). When the list of your accounts comes back from Fidelity find your problem account and choose link to existing account and choose the corresponding Quicken account. When finished the account number and customer ID fields will be populated automatically on the account's general tab. (One should never manually complete those fields.) This should result in your problem account being reset to the Direct Connect method. 
    >
    > Do not use the Set Up Now or Reset Account buttons on the account's online services tab.

I tried this and as with others, it did not work for me. I'm going to call Quicken just to see what they say. Ha Ha
  • qkn1992
    qkn1992 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Fighter Pilot said:
    > > @Thomas Roche said:
    > > One more time.... deactivate the problem account..... if there is anything in the account number and customer ID fields on the general tab... delete both and click OK.... last and most important step.... using Tools - Add Account - type in Fidelity Investments.... when asked, enter your Fidelity user id and password (make sure you check box to save to vault). When the list of your accounts comes back from Fidelity find your problem account and choose link to existing account and choose the corresponding Quicken account. When finished the account number and customer ID fields will be populated automatically on the account's general tab. (One should never manually complete those fields.) This should result in your problem account being reset to the Direct Connect method. 
    > >
    > > Do not use the Set Up Now or Reset Account buttons on the account's online services tab.
    >
    > I tried this and as with others, it did not work for me. I'm going to call Quicken just to see what they say. Ha Ha

I did this twice and it didn't work.
  • Fighter Pilot
    Fighter Pilot Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, I just spent the last few hours speaking with Quicken support (takes about 22 minutes for them to answer) and they denied any knowledge of having this problem. The representative took a look at my screen and was no help whatsoever in getting this corrected. He then said this was NOT a Quicken problem and I needed to contact Fidelity. The Fidelity rep I called tried to help by having me create a Test file that we think was able to download transactions but we could not pull up registers in the new file to confirm this (has anyone ever encountered not being able to see registers?) She could not solve the problem but told me she would elevate it within her shop. I would encourage EVERYONE to call Fidelity that has not been able to solve this problem. I'm still looking for an answer if anyone can help.
  • kenjo
    kenjo Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'd be interested to know if Fidelity changed anything on their side in the timeframe discussed.
  • Shawn Scottsdale
    Options
    there is zero chance this is a Fidelity problem. Quicken broke/corrupted something about certain Fidelity accounts inside Quicken. Many of us have many Fideliety accounts and some of the solutions posted work to get most accounts back on track, but most times there is at least ONE account left that can't be fixed (i.e. can't get it out of EWC+ no matter what we try). In addition, if you start a brand new Quicken file and pull in Fidelity... most users will report ALL Fidelity accounts work in that case. It's just trying to keep the old "bad" account and trying to get it back to working in original file that remains the issue. All of that equals ZERO chance it is a Fidelity issue. Quicken support (in particular on this issue) has been less than worthless and would not trust anything they have you do. No matter how many times you refer them to this thread, they refuse to look at it and see what is going on.
  • kenjo
    kenjo Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Shawn Scottsdale It's seems to me as well that Quicken's conversion to an updated database did not work, and in particular, screwed up particular the Financial accounts. I don't understand their silence, especially for those of us who have been using Quicken forever (over 30 years for me).
  • taylors8
    taylors8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    As everyone has stated, I too have 3 family members with Quicken and none of them can get their Fidelity accounts to update any more. I wasted hours on the phone with Intuit and was told to contact Fidelity. This has nothing to do with Fidelity, Intuit broke this and they need to fix this problem. If they won't acknowledge that it's their issue, I don't know how this is going to get fixed? Aren't there moderators or Intuit employees that are supposed to be reading these threads/forums and taking major issues like this to their developers? It's strange that so many people are reporting the same problem but no one from Quicken will say, "we are aware of this issue with Fidelity updates and are actively working on a fix." I'm keeping my fingers crossed that enough activity in this thread gets someone's attention at Quicken so this problem can be resolved.
  • Shawn Scottsdale
    Options
    It's a combination of incompetence and NGAF. The "support" people aren't paid to solve your issues. They are paid to read and follow the same script of troubleshooting no matter what problem you have. You could tell them that your Fidelity account was burnt on one side and you'd be doing the same set of steps as everybody else with this issue. If you comply and don't deviate from their script, they will "escalate" your burnt Fidelity to a "ticket" (of which there is no number, no way to track, and certainly won't be handled). I've had an "escalated" ticket out for a month on this issue and you can see how much Quicken/Intuit has been involved. I own/run a software company. Even if you are really backed up, it's not that hard to communicate "we are aware of the issue and we're looking into a solution"...even if you can't get to the issue for awhile. That will at least keep additional support calls/chats on the same issue to a minimum, but they are so far into the DGAF category that they don't even care about that.
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same issue as MBK..... One step update appears to work.... but no transactions are downloading. Entering dozens of transactions manually is becoming super time consuming!
  • marroqs
    marroqs Member
    Options
    I only recently realized that Fidelity transactions from all of my several accounts were not downloading, even though the account list shows them as updated. I manually entered every transaction from late July, and hope I did all of them right!! And I will attempt ENCIN2's suggested fix. But does ANYONE get the sense that Quicken is owning this at all?
  • Fighter Pilot
    Fighter Pilot Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @marroqs said:
    > I only recently realized that Fidelity transactions from all of my several accounts were not downloading, even though the account list shows them as updated. I manually entered every transaction from late July, and hope I did all of them right!! And I will attempt ENCIN2's suggested fix. But does ANYONE get the sense that Quicken is owning this at all?

They are not accepting it at all. I would encourage everyone to call them with the problem and Fidelity as well. Both of these parties need to be energized to solve this problem. I put a notice about it also on the Quicken Facebook page. This couldn't hurt either.
  • Fighter Pilot
    Fighter Pilot Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @robert W said:
    > WORKAROUND - I have found a way to allow for Fidelity downloads from accounts that show that they think they are using the EWC+ method of connection (see my earlier posts). This is not for the faint of heart, so make sure you make a backup before you start, but it worked for me - finally.
    >
    > Step by step:
    >
    > 1) Make sure the broken account's online update is deactivated and that the account number is deleted
    > 2) Create a new brokerage account with a different name from the broken account
    > 3) With the broken account window open, click the gear icon and select "move transactions".
    > 4) Select all (there is a button at the bottom of the window), and select the name of the new account from the pulldown menu at the lower right side of the window.
    > 5) This is the scary step. Push the move button. Quicken will give you a couple of warning and notification messages, move the transactions, and run a file validation. This can take a few minutes.
    > 6) When this is over, the transactions should be in the new account and the old account should be empty.
    > 7) At this point, I used the "delete account" button in the general tab of the account details window to delete the old account, though I am not sure this step is necessary here.
    > 8) Use the "Add Account" tool in the Tools menu to add a Fidelity account. You'll have to use your Fidelity Quicken logon credentials here. After it connects to Fidelity, you should see all your Fidelity accounts listed. The ones that are not broken should appear as "do not add to Quicken" (as they are already added. But the broken account should give you the option to link the new account to the account that was not downloading.
    > 9) Connect these accounts and be hopeful.
    >
    > In my case, when the download was over, Quicken told me it imported 2296 transactions. It actually imported transactions going back to July, but the ones that were already in my account were already matched, and only the ones that had not yet been imported were "new". I accepted all, and the transactions were imported properly. There was no duplication - the "matched" transactions did not import and the "new" transactions did. The account balances at the end were correct. I did a quick comparison of lot history in Quicken against the lot history at Fidelity itself, because I almost always sell lots using specific shares, and the lot histories appear correct. I am going to do more work on this, and will let you know if I find any problems, but at this point, I feel like this has worked for me.
    >

I can report success using this method. It was tedious but I was able to download transactions on all of my accounts, at least for now. It remains to be seen if this now continues to work. I might mention that this method did not create a seperate core cash account for my brokerage account. You have to go into the General window on details for the account and check the box to create the cash account and them it takes some work to get the cash amount to match with Fidelity.
  • Fighter Pilot
    Fighter Pilot Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I did mention earlier that I had posted about the problem on Quicken's Facebook page. I wanted everyone to know that I did receive a direct Facebook message today from Quicken repeated here:

Quicken
    Hello Harold,

Thank you for reaching out, though we apologize for the trouble.

Our teams are aware of the issue with Fidelity and have opened an escalation ticket internally, though we do not have an ETA available at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you. - AH
  • chris10
    chris10 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Fighter Pilot Finally some acknowledgement from Quicken that they have an issue on their side.
  • chris10
    chris10 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've contacted Quicken support multiple times about this issue and none of their suggestions have worked for me either.
  • KKoster
    KKoster Member ✭✭
    Options
    The process recommended by Robert W on October 2nd worked for me. However, as he stated, it is not for the faint of heart! After completing the process, my Fidelity accounts all worked, but about 10 other institutions stopped working. The really weird thing was that when I went back to my back up, they still did not work! The first person I talked to at Quicken was worthless. His recommendation was to go back to my back up from before the original Fidelity issue developed (~2 months ago). I immediately called back and talked to someone that was knowledgeable and helpful. With the process he walked me through, I eventually had to re-enter the sign on information for all institutions. It was not fun, but everything works now.
  • msmirlock
    msmirlock Member ✭✭
    Options
    It IS this incompetently handled ECW+ reauthorization process for BofA (and/or Chase).
    After being asked to reauth a BofA account, one of my many Fidelity accounts became this(see image.png inserted):

I could not deactivate online services for this account because (apparently) the Customer ID that Quicken changed mine to contained special characters and I could not enter the online services tab. Fortunately it was just an ATM card cash account, so, after checking all other 11 fidelity accounts for my actual user name I just deleted the account. Now all the remaining Fidelity accounts update, hopefully correctly.

I feel like I dodged a bullet (actually a nuke) on this one and am now seriously searching for a Quicken replacement. If anyone knows of an off-line (local data storage only) financial management software package, price not withstanding, please post it here. Thanks.
  • msmirlock
    msmirlock Member ✭✭
    Options
    Here is the error message preventing access to online services tab:
  • msmirlock
    msmirlock Member ✭✭
    Options
    BTW, the issue isn't with Fidelity. It is clearly with Quicken/BofA as demonstrated above.
  • winecracker
    winecracker Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @msmirlock >> Same thing happened to me when I updated the Chase Credit Card account per Quicken's insistence. Now I have two Chase accounts. Eventually got one working which now downloads transactions and have an "old" Chase account for transactions before Quicken went to hell. Still don't have the Fidelity cash account working. Am now evaluating if I really need Quicken. The time I waste fixing things or looking for fixes might as well be spent manually entering transactions.
  • winecracker
    winecracker Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken has a coding problem. Whoever messed it up is likely who's responsible to fix, but has no idea what to do. Is probably minimizing the issue and afraid to elevate for the needed adequate resources to fix. Guessing, of course. But, how else can Quicken's lack of attention to this be explained.
  • msmirlock
    msmirlock Member ✭✭
    Options
    Exactly.
  • msmirlock
    msmirlock Member ✭✭
    Options
    And if they hosed this up and they are still credentialed to release production code, what's next?
  • kenjo
    kenjo Member ✭✭
    Options
    My thought is that Quicken has mixed up the certificates for the financial institutions and possibly associated a certificate with the wrong institution. This may be why removing and starting over works because that untangles the mess they created. They created their own cluster-f***...
  • Misterbill
    Misterbill Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    I just noticed something that may help some fix the problem. Just for background, my regular database is still not downloading transactions.  I have two test Quicken databases created with just my Fidelity accounts.  I opened one of them this weekend and did a test download, and all accounts downloaded except for two, which happened to be accounts that I had renamed in Quicken from the default Investment XXXXXXXXX. Then I opened the database where I had not renamed any accounts, and all accounts downloaded, including the two that had not previously downloaded.

Will go back to my regular database now and try renaming one of the accounts and see if it downloads. This might be a similar solution to the person who reported that they created a new account to download from.
This discussion has been closed.