Fidelity Transactions Not Downloading

Options

Answers

• DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    Options
    The issue seems to be a few accounts that were changed in error from direct connect to EWC+ during an update late August update for security upgrades for Chase and other institutions. It seems like a simple fix for quicken to give us an option to switch these Fidelity accounts back to direct connect from EWC+.
    What is the big problem to do this? The solution suggested to abandon and transfer the transactions for the ewc+ account to a new account is ludicrous for those that have 25 or 30 years of data in the account. Quicken needs to fix the issue.
  • winecracker
    winecracker Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @DGA you are correct. Problem is definitely related to Chase update in August as this update resulted in Quicken trying to rename my Fidelity cash management account. Not sure exactly what it did, but this account then became my problem account which caused all other Fidelity accounts to stop downloading. There is enough information posted here for Quicken to see what is happening to its customers, trace the cause and determine a fix. I stick to my previous comments; Quicken's management is "out to lunch" and whoever is in charge is a moron.
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    Options
    Agreed 👍
  • brantleyhill
    brantleyhill Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I also agree, this problem is the result that an update 'broke' for FIdelity download, so do I understand the solution is to deactivate the download in Fidelity accounts and then reactivate? I already tried Reset and that did nothing. I am a 20+ year, loyal user of Quicken and I have just about had it. Thanks to all trying to fix this [Removed - Rant]. Deb Chandler
  • mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same problem with my fidelity accounts. Reset would not work on some accounts. It worked but did not help on others.

I tried the fix that worked with Chase....undoing and redoing and that has not worked.
  • mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have 4 accounts and they will not sync. No error messaage, but no downloads. Some will "reset" others won't, but they still don't download.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have 4 accounts and they will not sync. No error messaage, but no downloads. Some will "reset" others won't, but they still don't download.
    Hello @mhsherman461,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue with missing downloads. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, take a look at the Support Article linked here, specifically the section entitled If this is the first time this has happened. Do any of those situations seem to apply, and do any of the corresponding steps seem to resolve the issue? If not, take a look at the section entitled If this issue occurs frequently.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • elorimer
    elorimer Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, it looks like my problem is directly a result of the Chase problem, and related to what @RobertW pointed out. In my case it was the Fidelity CMA account, which is linked to an investment account (but didn't need to be). The setup for the CMA account was correct, but the linked investment account had been linked to Chase with a missing credential.

I've exported 190 transactions from the CMA account and reimported them into a new account. When I try to set up online access to the account, Quicken does not give me an option for the correct account but instead an unrelated and closed credit card account.

It's Sunday so I don't have an option to see if the other Fidelity accounts will download.
  • Mellis373
    Options
    I have had the same issue with Fidelity accounts not updating transactions or balances. It started after the Chase update. One of my Chase accounts during the reauthorization came up as a Fidelity account, asked me to link to that account or set up a new one at Chase ... I decided to do neither. Chase sent me a notice that all my accounts have been authorized for Quicken, yet every time I do an account update I get a message that Chase connection needs an update and please reauthorize that account. Now Fidelity accounts won't update. In the One Step Update, it shows Fidelity as completed but nothing gets updated.
  • DBeach
    DBeach Member
    Options
    Many, many, thanks to robert W. Your solution has worked for me!

I don't know what we did before the internet and helpful user contributed bulletin boards.

> @"robert W" said:
    > WORKAROUND - I have found a way to allow for Fidelity downloads from accounts that show that they think they are using the EWC+ method of connection (see my earlier posts). This is not for the faint of heart, so make sure you make a backup before you start, but it worked for me - finally.
    >
    > Step by step:
    >
    > 1) Make sure the broken account's online update is deactivated and that the account number is deleted
    > 2) Create a new brokerage account with a different name from the broken account
    > 3) With the broken account window open, click the gear icon and select "move transactions".
    > 4) Select all (there is a button at the bottom of the window), and select the name of the new account from the pulldown menu at the lower right side of the window.
    > 5) This is the scary step. Push the move button. Quicken will give you a couple of warning and notification messages, move the transactions, and run a file validation. This can take a few minutes.
    > 6) When this is over, the transactions should be in the new account and the old account should be empty.
    > 7) At this point, I used the "delete account" button in the general tab of the account details window to delete the old account, though I am not sure this step is necessary here.
    > 8) Use the "Add Account" tool in the Tools menu to add a Fidelity account. You'll have to use your Fidelity Quicken logon credentials here. After it connects to Fidelity, you should see all your Fidelity accounts listed. The ones that are not broken should appear as "do not add to Quicken" (as they are already added. But the broken account should give you the option to link the new account to the account that was not downloading.
    > 9) Connect these accounts and be hopeful.
    >
    > In my case, when the download was over, Quicken told me it imported 2296 transactions. It actually imported transactions going back to July, but the ones that were already in my account were already matched, and only the ones that had not yet been imported were "new". I accepted all, and the transactions were imported properly. There was no duplication - the "matched" transactions did not import and the "new" transactions did. The account balances at the end were correct. I did a quick comparison of lot history in Quicken against the lot history at Fidelity itself, because I almost always sell lots using specific shares, and the lot histories appear correct. I am going to do more work on this, and will let you know if I find any problems, but at this point, I feel like this has worked for me.
  • brantleyhill
    brantleyhill Member ✭✭
    Options
    The point is we shouldn't have to go through these scary steps to correct a coding error created by Quicken.
  • elorimer
    elorimer Member ✭✭
    Options
    This was more interesting than absolutely necessary. My problem was a Fidelity checking account; Quicken only knows Fidelity brokerage accounts, so I had a "cash" checking account with lots of activity and a linked investment account with no activity. You can only delete them both.

So I exported all the transactions from the Fidelity checking account, deleted them both, created a new Fidelity checking account in Quicken, and tried to set that up for online access. That didn't work, because Quicken or Fidelity won't recognize any Fidelity account other than an investment account. It silently fails.

So I tried to import the transactions back in. That didn't work, because Quicken wouldn't let me import "investment" transactions into a checking account. Typically, it silently fails.

So I created a new Fidelity investment account, indicating that cash balances should be treated as a checking account. That got me back to two linked accounts. I imported the old (checking) transactions into the investment account, and they showed up in the checking account. Transfers didn't however, so I had to go back and recreate them. And I think I have online access again.

I wasn't done, because over the 15 years I've had the Fidelity account, I've had many transactions back and forth with Euro-denominated accounts. Each of those transfers when I recreated them Quicken needed to convert into and out of Euros, for which it wanted to use a current exchange rate. So I had to recreate each of those out of the original bank statements.

Seven or so hours later, I think I'm back to where I should be. I can understand Quicken not wanting to get in the middle of this, [starting snark] because it requires a certain amount of knowledge about the kludges Quicken has introduced over the years [end snark].
  • mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Whilte I have tried that to no avail, those instructions are about banking transactions. My problem is with investment transactions. Just from Fidelity...in which I have several accounts.

I have deactivated and reactiveated all of them. No change. When I go to online holdings, it shows the holdings as of 9/2. So something happened shortly there after.

Something I don't understand is some of these accounts have a Customer ID and some don't and say they use EWC+. I don't even know what Express Web Connect is.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    Whilte I have tried that to no avail, those instructions are about banking transactions. My problem is with investment transactions. Just from Fidelity...in which I have several accounts.

I have deactivated and reactiveated all of them. No change. When I go to online holdings, it shows the holdings as of 9/2. So something happened shortly there after.

Something I don't understand is some of these accounts have a Customer ID and some don't and say they use EWC+. I don't even know what Express Web Connect is.
    Hello @msherman461,      

I am sorry that these issues are continuing, and for getting back to me with more clarification about the situation. 

If you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your Fidelity-associated accounts by navigating to the Add Account button in the upper left-hand side of the screen, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same issue occurring in the test data file once this is attempted.

I look forward to hearing about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Options
    So that worked. In a new file it downloaded transactions including the missing time. (Many placehoders transactions required, of course.)

I also noticed that in all the accounts it had the proper Customer ID in the general account details.
    In the accounts that are not downloading it says "unavailable" in that field.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    So that worked. In a new file it downloaded transactions including the missing time. (Many placehoders transactions required, of course.)

I also noticed that in all the accounts it had the proper Customer ID in the general account details.
    In the accounts that are not downloading it says "unavailable" in that field.
    Hello @msherman461,   

I am glad to hear that everything seems to be working properly in the test file; this is very helpful information. Thanks so much for letting me know about your results. 

Navigate back into your original data file by going to File > Open Quicken File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Let us know how this works for you. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Options
    That didn't work, but what did work for most of my accounts was much more involved.
    I 1) deactivated 2) created new empty brokerage account 3) moved all transactions to new account 4) set up download for new account 5) rinse and repeat.

For some reason that did not work on one of them, but I am giving up for the moment.
  • rpiggott
    rpiggott Member
    Options
    I am also having the same issue and have been since mid-September when the Chase update took place. Transactions are simply not downloading and resetting the accounts has had no impact. I have looked at all the suggestions in this chain and they either do not apply nor have fixed the problem.
    I am disappointed that this has been going on for so long without a solution as it seems a common problem.

However I may be able to add something. I have 2 sets of Fidelity accounts in my Quicken file. One set that my Fidelity login accesses and another set with my wife's Fidelity login.
    Only the accounts accessed with my login have this problem. My wife's accounts are working just fine.
    The setup of both sets of accounts look the same and use the "Direct Connect" online method.

During the Chase update some Fidelity accounts (on the set with my login) were switched to simple investment tracking, but this was switched back. I suspect that the problem is in this area. Somewhere in the "system" it thinks the accounts are still set for simple investment tracking.
  • brantleyhill
    brantleyhill Member ✭✭
    Options
    The question is Quicken going to acknowledge they 'broke' the Fidelity download when the Chase update was implemented. it is obvious to most of us who have utilized Quicken for over 20 years that there is a glitch in the software. Many of years and years of transaction data in our investment accounts to destroy this and not have a forward ability to download Fidelity into a Quicken program is unacceptable.
  • mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I found this to work on all but one of my accounts. Not sure why it didn't work there. Perhaps its because I am the secondary user not the primary one. I just wish they'd fix it.
  • brantleyhill
    brantleyhill Member ✭✭
    Options
    I downloaded the latest Quicken update yesterday, it did not fix the Fidelity download/update issue and now I am getting the familiar OL-220-A error and not one of my 7 FIdelity accounts will download. Is anyone from QUICKEN following this thread of Fidelity users who cannot download history and transactions since September?? Debbie Chandler brantleyhill@msn.com
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    That didn't work, but what did work for most of my accounts was much more involved.
    I 1) deactivated 2) created new empty brokerage account 3) moved all transactions to new account 4) set up download for new account 5) rinse and repeat.

For some reason that did not work on one of them, but I am giving up for the moment.
    Hello @msherman461,   

Thanks so much for getting back to me with an update about how things turned out. I am sorry that the instructions provided earlier were not more effective, although I am happy to hear that you seem to have developed a resolution that works for you.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns, and have a great day!

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • mr rahs
    mr rahs Member ✭✭
    Options
    As I mentioned before, I did receive a response to my last message to the "Office of the President." As a result of this, I had a call scheduled with Alan yesterday at 11:00. As has also been discussed here, there really is no need for any more calls. They should have more than enough information to proceed. But, if it could help in any way, I was willing to take the time. In preparation for the call, I asked Alan to confirm that he was already knowledgeable about the issue and I again referenced this thread. Obviously, this was too big of an ask as not only did I not receive a response, Alan never called at our agreed upon time. Another hour down the drain.

Quicken's utter and total disregard for this issue and their customers is beyond words. I absolutely can't imagine how any responsible leader in the company could foster an environment where this would at all be allowed or accepted.

While we know that this issue is solely Quicken's responsibility, the only path I see to a solution at this point is to try to enlist the help of Fidelity. It's a long shot, but it's been made perfectly clear that Quicken refuses to listen to it's customers.
  • brantleyhill
    brantleyhill Member ✭✭
    Options
    Absolutely agree the lack of response and attention to this very critical issue is unacceptable. Downloading from Fidelity is essential to many members of the Quicken community. I cannot believe they have let this go on so long. I spent hours this week manually entering transaction in 4 Fidelity accounts going back to early September. A huge use of my time (and countless others) that is the very reason we use Quicken - to save time and keep our financial lives in order. Please let me know how I can support you in the endeavor. Debbie Chandler
    brantleyhill@msn.com
    239-450-4604
  • DGA
    DGA Member ✭✭
    Options
    DGA (9:43 AM Oct.30, 2022) is correct. The issue is that an account has been changed in error from Direct Connect to EWC+. Even though it says it is direct connect, the Customer ID is missing and grayed out on the Account Details General tab. When you hover over the ? Its showing EWC+. When deactivated the Fidelity account that was causing the problem (the one that had shown Chase for the financial institution), the other accounts downloaded. correctly.
    The issue seems to be a few accounts that were changed in error from direct connect to EWC+ during an update late August update for security upgrades for Chase and other institutions. It seems like a simple fix for quicken to give us an option to switch these Fidelity accounts back to direct connect from EWC+.
    What is the big problem to do this?
  • E
    E Member ✭✭
    Options
    This is really discgraceful of Quicken. This issue has been unresolved and unacknowldged for months. It's a clear Quicken coding error that occured due to the Chase "express web connect +" change. It changed a Fidelity account to Chase and now that account thinks it's express web connect (i.e. doesn't show "customer id" in "account details" , "general" tab and can't download transactions). The real disgraceful part is that the "one step update" showed that everything was downlaoded fine. QUICKEN YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE A CUSTOMER.
  • mr rahs
    mr rahs Member ✭✭
    Options
    I should mention that the situation I referred to before was not the first time that a Quicken employee did not follow through on a commitment. A few weeks ago I had a call with Enrique. After again describing the issue and pointing him to the thread, he appeared to be reading along and indicated his full support for what we described. He said that he would bring it to a team meeting at the end of the day. I asked if he would be able to email me after the meeting with updates, we confirmed my email address, and he agreed. I never received an email.

The posts on page 5 from @Shawn Scottsdale sum up the situation pretty well. The needs of the customer are obviously not a priority for Quicken as an organization. The complete uselessness of the 'moderators' on this board are evidence of that. Unless there is an employee with the willingness to affect change and the empowerment to do so, a fix will not be forthcoming.

At this point, I actually hope that the folks at Quicken haven't read this thread, because if they have and STILL haven't done anything, that is a far more damning statement about the organization.

@brantleyhill The only thing to do if you're willing is to keep calling and sending emails in hope of finding the knight in shining armor that will help. As I mentioned before, I'll be asking for Fidelity's help as well.

For those that are newer to this thread, @robert W posted a workaround on page 4 that might not be the best solution for everyone, is pretty intense, but has worked for some. While there has been absolutely nothing of value from Quicken added to this thread, the contributions like this from users has been tremendous. If only the folks responsible for the product would read their own boards...
This discussion has been closed.