Elon Musk

BarryMo
BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2023 in The Water Cooler
Would Quicken better if Elon Musk bought it?

Comments

• MarcStone
    MarcStone Member ✭✭
    He would like to have you believe so.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BarryMo said:
    Would Quicken better if Elon Musk bought it?
    I don't think so. He would fire half the employees and then a lot of the rest would quit.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having to sleep at the office is not my idea of a good job regardless of the number of zeros in the paycheck. 

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Lately, I am so underwhelmed by Quicken stability and the support teams perhaps a shake-up would be good in the long term.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve Jobs was a tyrant and bully by many accounts BUT he made Apple what it is today. Only time can tell what Musk will accomplish.

BTW, the opposite is to be considered too... Failure is a measure of what does not work. It alone is not the measure of a person's capability. Sometimes it takes MANY failures because one good success is achieved. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:
    Steve Jobs was a tyrant and bully by many accounts BUT he made Apple what it is today. Only time can tell what Musk will accomplish.

BTW, the opposite is to be considered too... Failure is a measure of what does not work. It alone is not the measure of a person's capability. Sometimes it takes MANY failures because one good success is achieved. 
    Some of the people that have “accomplished the most” were terrible people.  I guess that is fine for the companies and even society in general, but isn’t so good if you are the one being abused to get that accomplishment done.

One can admire Musk’s work ethic, but not everyone wants their life to be only their job.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    BTW here is another answer for the original question.

I can’t imagine him being interested in buying a tiny company in a dying industry, but lets say he did, I doubt his vision of what “person finance software” should be would line up with the majority of the current “old timer” view points of what Quicken would be.  For instance he might decide that online personal finance software is the future, and decide to stop all development on Quicken and put all the resources into Simplify.

I would imagine a full featured online version of personal finance software would appeal more to the “future users”.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken, as much as we all love it, is not - and never would be - on Elon Musk's "to do" list, in any way. shape or form.  It is way too small for him to even be aware of it.

But, to answer the question - would it be better if he bought it? - the answer would absolutely be yes, because he would infuse Quicken with whatever was needed to make that happen, regardless of the cost.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankx said:
    But, to answer the question - would it be better if he bought it? - the answer would absolutely be yes
    He won't buy it. It doesn't handle enough digits for him.
    Dollar amount - A Quicken file cannot have an entry that is larger than 99,999,999.99. This includes number of positions (shares) as well as amount of dollars.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:
    Interesting analogy. The famous Twitter user S**TMYDADSAYS once posted, "Your success as a parent is determined by your worst child. If one of your kids is a brain surgeon and the other is a hooker, you sucked as a parent." LOL
This discussion has been closed.