Downloads populating check field with a 0

Options
Ken Kagan
Ken Kagan Member ✭✭
Since upgrading to Version 6.12.3 for Mac, when reconciling accounts entries populate the check number field with a 0.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here in the Community, though we apologize for the trouble.

This has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• staceyka
    staceyka Member ✭✭
    Options
    Since upgrading to Version 6.12.3 for Mac, when reconciling accounts entries populate the check number field with a 0. Has anyone seen that or know why that's happening?
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Hello @Ken Kagan & @staceyka,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and report your issue here, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you don't mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the issue you described above? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• staceyka
    staceyka Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. I posted a screenshot for you.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Ken Kagan @staceyka My first thought was that it might be a coincidental change by your bank around the same time version 6.12.3 came out, but… Are you saying that you see the "0" values in the check number column only in the Reconcile screen, but not in the check number column in your check register? 

I just did a reconcile of my checking account, and I'm not seeing any such zero values in the Reconcile screen:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • staceyka
    staceyka Member ✭✭
    Options
    I see the 0 in the check number column in the register
  • Quicken Anja
    edited February 2023
    Options

@staceyka thank you for the screenshot!

@staceyka & @Ken Kagan to make sure we properly investigate before passing this issue along internally, could you both also specify which financial institution you are downloading from? Are you seeing this in 1 particular register and only 1 financial institution in particular or in multiple registers with multiple financial institutions?

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• jacobs
    Options

Okay, so that confirms it has nothing to do with the Reconcile window. It seems likely this is a change in what your bank is transmitting to Quicken. (It's also possible that it's a back-end server issue with Intuit, who runs the connectivty services for Quicken, but it's unlikely Intuit made changes to the import code for an existing bank unless the bank initiated a change.)

Are all the transactions with 0 in the Check # column actually checks? I see there are two transactions in your screenshot which are blank in the Check# column; are those transactions which aren't checks?

My suggestion would be to pursue this with technical support at your bank to see if they have made any recent changes which could explain why they are transmitting a check number of 0 with every transaction.

• troholt
    troholt Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    [Removed - Disruptive/Profanity] I am getting the same issue with USAA.

Quicken needs to figure this out. It's annoying and a user interface issue.

@"Quicken Anja" please continue on the follow up.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023
    Options

troholt

[Removed - Disruptive/Profanity] I am getting the same issue with USAA.

Quicken needs to figure this out. It's annoying and a user interface issue.

@"Quicken Anja" please continue on the follow up.

It might not be simply a user interface issue if it isn't happening all the time. I'm not seeing it happen with my Fidelity CMA account either (synced via Direct Connect). What method are you using to sync your accounts? (It could be a server side issue with Quicken Connect.)

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    edited February 2023
    Options

@troholt said: [Removed - Disruptive/Profanity] I am getting the same issue with USAA.

Well, the two people who had posted above didn't indicate what financial institutions this was with, nor that anyone had seen it in multiple accounts. I was trying to help, including testing on my own data, and don't appreciate your reply calling my attempt to help “[Removed - Profanity]”, so I will bow out of trying to help. One suggestion before I go: you might want to contact Quicken Support if you want Quicken to fix it; this site is not Quicken Support.

• staceyka
    staceyka Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jacobs - thank you SO MUCH for your help and input. You posted "Are all the transactions with 0 in the Check # column actually checks? I see there are two transactions in your screenshot which are blank in the Check# column; are those transactions which aren't checks?"

My bank is USAA ... and the 0 are only with non-check transactions. The one without anything is a Venmo payment that hasn't cleared yet and the other is a recurring charitable contribution.

I REALLY appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I will reach out to USAA.
  • staceyka
    staceyka Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jon - I am using Quicken Connect for syncing my accounts
  • staceyka
    staceyka Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Anja - I am only seeing this in the account sync with USAA. I did reach out to them yesterday and posted a question to them also. USAA responded that they are currently unaware of this issue and have asked that I connect with their technical team.
    Stacey
  • trholtz
    trholtz Member
    Options
    I too have this issue when downloading from USAA
  • Quicken Anja
    Options

Thank you all for following up and confirming that this is happening with USAA.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• staceyka
    staceyka Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks - I did submit a problem report with the log files and screenshots. Appreciate the help!
    Stacey
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here in the Community, though we apologize for the trouble.

This has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• staceyka
    staceyka Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Anja!
  • Quicken Anja
    Options

You're welcome!

-Quicken Anja

• roseodonnell
    roseodonnell Member ✭✭
    Options

Having same problem… also USAA. Very annoying… I expect Quicken to fix it (or offer a “remove 0” option!)… and thanks to everyone for their efforts on this! (Is there a way to get notified when a fix is available? or not necessary…?)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you access this webpage and “bookmark” it (click the flag icon in the upper right hand corner of the webpage) you will get notified of changes.

As a Q for Windows user I don't know if there's a method available in Q Mac to find all “Check# = 0” transactions and replace “0” with “ ” (blank space) in Check# field.
    A Q Mac expert user will have to chime in here.

• jacobs
    Options

@UKR In Quicken Mac, you can't do a Search on a single character. But you could click on the Check # column heading to sort by check number, so all the checks numbered 0 would be together to select them for mass editing (aka replace). Unfortunately, the Transaction Inspector screen, where mass edits are accomplished, does not have the Check # field — which is not so surprising, since one wouldn't want to replace the check numbers on multiple transactions with the same value. So there's no way to do such a search and replace that I can think of.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh, phooey! That's not good.
    There should be a way to fix that … hello, programmers, anybody listening???

• jacobs
    Options

There should be a way to fix that … hello, programmers, anybody listening???

Well first, no, no programmers listen here. ;)

Second, this is a small piece of the larger issue of not having a full-fledged search-and-replace or find-and-replace feature in Quicken Mac. The Transaction Info window is useful for some mass edits, but it doesn't apply to split lines, so it's not usable as a global search-and-replace. The Transaction Info also doesn't include the Action field, which some users utlize and would like to be able to mass edit. (I'm not sure there's really a normal need for mass edits to the Check number field; I'd be afraid it would let users inadvertently wipe out lots of real check numbers by mistake.)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Alright then. Let someone invent a wheel to safely clean up the mess AFTER the bank has fixed their download process.

• jacobs
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hopefully if USAA fixes their downloads, or Intuit writes a script to turn the zeros in the chck number field into blanks, manually cleaning up a month or two of check number=0 transactions is annoying but not a huge job (unless the user has hundreds of transactions per month).

Adding the check number field to the mass edit window in Quicken Mac would be fine; I was only explaining that it is a small piece, and likely not the most pressing piece, of a larger feature improvement need. ;) There is an existing Idea thread for adding the Date field to the Edit Transaction window, so perhaps adding the request for the Check # field to that thread would get it some future visibility. But I'd note that the thread has only 4 votes after 18 months, so it's probably not moving up the priority list anytime soon. Or a new Idea post could be creating to request the addition of the Check # column to the bulk edit window; that would probably take even longer to get enough critical mass to be seen by the developers.

• staceyka
    staceyka Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments, suggestions, feedback. I did post this 'issue' in the Community on USAA. One of the USAA staff recommended that I call Tech Support which I did. From that interaction, I opened an incident with them on February 27th for this issue. As of today, there hasn't been any update. When I hear from them, I will share that here. Thank you again for all the input!
This discussion has been closed.