What happened to the attachments for transactions? They're suddenly awful!

Options
KristenC
KristenC Member ✭✭

I love the ability to see a preview of a pdf attachment - super nice. BUT, this change caused the entire attachment process to stop working for me.

I'm on Version R49.22, Build 27.1.49.22 - for Windows.

I scan my receipts and attach them to each corresponding transaction. Since the latest update, when the ability to see pdf previews was introduced, I have not been able to scan more than one attachment without having to completely close out the program and bring it back up to scan another one (no matter if it's the same transaction or a different one). I can bring up the attachment window, but when I click Add and Scanner, nothing happens (Add, File does work, but I don't want to have to scan each receipt and save it as a separate file in order to attach them to the transaction). I've tried rebooting the computer, shutting off my scanner and turning it back on - nothing has made it so I can scan more than one attachment without having to shut Quicken down completely and bring it back up.

The ability to use keyboard to bring up the scan window has also stopped working (Alt. A, S for scanner or F for file, etc.)

Any insight on how to get this to work? I've been lazy and haven't scanned in my receipts for a couple months … and I cannot fathom having to close out Quicken after every single scan…

I don't know if this is relevant at all, but I've (I think I have, anyway) completely disconnected the ability of my file to sync with the web version and / or my banks - I had a MAJOR issue several years ago where the syncing completely messed up my file, so I enter everything manually now.

Answers

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options

Updated info - while I said that attaching a file works, turns out that it doesn't. The file navigator window comes up and you can select a file to attach, but nothing attaches until Quicken is shut down and reopened. So, it seems that attachments can only be added one at a time, with a complete shut down of the program between each time. Not a good system at all.

And, since I see this asked on other posts, my file is saved on my local hard drive - not a shared drive or a cloud location. This all started happening with the latest update and it is across all accounts - credit card, checking, etc.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @KristenC,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. I tried to replicate the issue you described, but I'm not running into the same issue in my Quicken.

To clarify, since the update, after attaching the first file, when you try to attach another, nothing at all happens? No errors, no freezing; it just doesn't acknowledge the file was attached at all until you restart Quicken? When you restart, do you see that file already attached, or do you have to go through the process to attach it again?

Have you tried reinstalling the update? If you haven't, you can use this article to do so.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for replying. I can either scan an attachment or attach a file to a transaction then save the transaction. When I attempt to add an attachment to the next transaction, one of two things happens - depending on what type of attachment I'm trying to make.

1. If I want to scan an attachment, I click the paperclip in the transaction to bring up the attachment window, click add, and from scanner… then nothing happens. It just sits there. I am able to close the attachment window.

OR

2. If I want to add a file attachment, I click the paperclip in the transaction to bring up the attachment window, click add and from file. A file navigator window appears and I am able to select a file. But, when I save the transaction, there is nothing attached.

Both of these require me to completely shut down the program and bring it back up in order to add another attachment. When I bring it back up, there are no attachments on the transaction I was just attempting to add - so it's not as if they are there, but not showing up until the program is shut down and reopened.

I have not tried to reinstall the update, I will look at the article you linked and see if that helps. I will comment again once I've done this with any updates.

Thank you!

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options

I downloaded and installed the US Manual Mondo Patch Update. It now appears that I can add file attachments after scanning an attachment, but I am still not able to scan the next receipt without closing the program completely.

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options

This is what I see when I select Add, from Scanner the first time. When I try after scanning and attaching the first receipt, I see the background window, but the Select Source window never pops up.

It doesn't matter if the first attachment source is a file or the scanner. After attaching a file to a transaction and saving it, the next attachment will not bring up the Select Source window as shown above. It just sits there.

So, I can tediously scan and save every receipt as a separate file on my computer, then go in and attach them as files … but, ugh! I'd be much happier to just scan each receipt and attach to the corresponding transaction. And, I'd be even happier if the keyboard shortcuts would work again (Alt A, F for file, S for scanner, etc).

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since reinstalling the patch only succeeded in making the issue slightly less bad, the next troubleshooting step would be checking for file specific issues. I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, neither validate nor super-validate fixed the attachment issue … I'm still having issues with scanning an attachment after one attachment has been created per session in the program…

There are some errors in my data that I need to fix, according to the data log. I'm going to try to figure those out and see if I can fix them so that I can go forward with the validated file.

There are now also a number of blank transactions in at least one of my accounts - some with amounts and some without… the aggregate of these has made it look like this account has a negative balance (which is what drew me to look into the account further). I haven't confirmed if the other account balances are correct or not, yet.

Thanks for your continued help! Hopefully we can find a solution!

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That looks like the kind of thing that Validate "should" repair. Are you getting the dreaded "Damaged data block" in your validation log? If so, you can kiss that file goodbye.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options

I see "Damaged date record" under QDF - about 33 times … 😶

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Bummer. Your file is damaged beyond repair. You will have to start fresh with a new file. Don't shoot the messenger.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options

If that's honestly the truth … I'm going to search for a new solution and ditch Quicken. I've mostly had good luck, but when it's bad, it's REALLY bad … and (just like everyone else, I'm sure) I need the integrity of my data. <sigh>

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options

Question … will Quicken still work on my computer once I'm not paying for it any longer? Will I still be able to look up information - or is the last seven years worth of financial history just that - history?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for that info.

• SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    Options

KristenC's situation mimics mine since I updated to version R49.22, Build 27.1.49.22 WIndow 11 Home this week.

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Interesting - glad to hear I'm not the only one - but sorry you're having similar issues. I'm on Win 11 Pro - 64 bit.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    Options

KristenC, when I found your well-written step-by-step explanation and other's input, I admittedly felt some relief. Even the timing of your post's problem meshed. Here, Validation solved problem without a Super-Validate sequence. Sure hope you can rebuild from previous back-up file.

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options
    **I see that the release number is noted on the automatic backup that is created when the program is updated. Unfortunately it looks like my file problems started before this latest update ... checking further back now.**

Is there a log file that will tell me when the last update was first installed? I'd like to pull up a backup from just before then to see if the data file is corrupt at that point.
  • KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well, darn. I've restored my earliest backup that I still have (9/2022) and the "Damaged date record" errors still exist. So, I guess I'm starting over.

Any insight on how these errors happen - I'd obviously like to avoid this in the future. @Rocket J Squirrel @Quicken Kristina ?
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    Options

KristenC, let's hope this update resolves the issue. Cheers.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Are you really seeing "damaged date record" or is it actually "data"? Never heard of the former, so guessing a typo.

There is zero insight on why file corruption occurs. Most animals don't poop where they eat, but Quicken does. Many of us old time users have irreparable corruption of some kind. I do, but not as bad as yours. I can work around mine, but I don't have "damaged data" reports like you do. I have been performing prophylactic Validate & Repair at least monthly. This may be a superstition of mine but I think it's kept me out of the trouble you're in.

• SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Rocket J Squirrel, your valuable insights and guidance have helped me through some tough Quicken spots for years. Thank you.

• KristenC
    KristenC Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > Are you really seeing "damaged date record" or is it actually "data"? Never heard of the former, so guessing a typo.
    >
    > There is zero insight on why file corruption occurs. Most animals don't poop where they eat, but Quicken does. Many of us old time users have irreparable corruption of some kind. I do, but not as bad as yours. I can work around mine, but I don't have "damaged data" reports like you do. I have been performing prophylactic Validate & Repair at least monthly. This may be a superstition of mine but I think it's kept me out of the trouble you're in.

Yeah - it was data - not sure how I messed that up. lol I'm going to update to the latest version and see if my attaching issues were fixed for the short term.

I think I will start with preemptive strike validate and repair tasks, too. I've looked into QB Online and I just cannot justify the added cost right now ... so unless I want to do spreadsheets (I don't!), looks like I'll be restarting my Quicken data file and see if your superstition rubs off on my data. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for all your insight! It is much appreciated.
  • THansenUSA
    THansenUSA Member
    Options

I updated to the current release R49.29, Build 27.1.49.29. I feel this is a Quicken issue not a user issue. The functionality of adding an attachment from scanner has been buggy from the start for me.

• SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Inconsistent ability to add attachments continues to occur with update to R49.29, Build 27.1.49.29. Some do attach to transactions yet more do not show or allow User to save. Problem cropped up about 1-2 updates ago so relatively recent yet persistent problem. Sometimes but not always, a reboot of Q helps. I've used Q 20+ years.

• SquishyD
    SquishyD Member ✭✭
    Options

Running into similar issues here. Also, I was previously plagued by the problem where Quicken would upload attachments to the cloud despite Cloud Sync being turned off (see related threads below).

Previous to this update, I could at least go in to the attachments and select "Delete from Cloud", but that is no longer an option. Am I just stuck uploading my info to Quicken, or did they fix the source problem of them uploading in the first place?

I have a growing distrust of Quicken…if I no longer have the ability to remove my personal documents from their servers, this might be quits for me.

• kevemcc
    kevemcc Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I am also having the same issue with adding multiple scanned attachments to a transaction. The first on scans with no issue. The second attempt leaves the process hanging. Only a complete shutdown and restart will allow a second scanned document to be added.

This started with the last major update (being able to view PDFs). I see that at least one other user has a Neat Scanner, is it possible it is an issue specifically with Neat scanners?

• leathers2002
    leathers2002 Member
    Options

This is the exact same problem that I am having and I just checked into Quickbooks, because I CANNOT keep having this issue. It is imperative to my bookkeeping that I scan my receipts and I absolutely cannot shut down the program every time I need to scan again.

• leathers2002
    leathers2002 Member
    Options

Is there a way to get rid of the last update? And I also have a Neat scanner.

This discussion has been closed.