Structured Notes

Options
sscminc
sscminc Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but since the last discussion I've seen on it was over a year ago, thought I'd ask anyone who might know. Does Quicken provide any way to have structured notes listed in a portfolio? Assuming they don't, so a follow-up question: if not, are there any known plans to develop a way to hold these in a portfolio or otherwise represent them?

Thank you...

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @sscminc,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community with this question.

Unfortunately, notes in general are not an option in relation to portfolios in Quicken for Windows.

To request this feature to be added in the future, what you can do is create an idea post. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see no particular reason you can’t “fake it” to represent it in Quicken now. That is, a structured note is a security and it provides income to the holder. It would require coordination with financial institution. How do they download the information? How do they report the price? How do they report the income stream?

At this stage, I would doubt Quicken would implement a specific type to that type of security.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@sscminc Why can't you simply create it as if it were a bond?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• sscminc
    sscminc Member ✭✭
    Options
    It will have to be tracked as a bond, which is essentially what it is--a zero coupon bond with a derivative overlay. Income is dependent upon holding period, as usual -- cap gains or income. Just wondered, which I doubted anyway and thought I'd ask, whether or not there was a direct feed with a CUSIP like there is for tickers.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@sscminc

Quicken has multiple ways of obtaining quote data.

If a security has a ticker and is publicly traded on a US exchange, Quicken's quote provider will usually have up to date quote data. This is the data you get when you download quotes or historical prices.

If you hold the security at a brokerage and it is set up for transaction downloading, the quotes will usually be downloaded with the transactions.

Also there are web based sources of quote data where you can download prices in a CSV format. With a little manipulation in Excel, you can import the prices into Quicken.

QWin Premier subscription
  • sscminc
    sscminc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, thank you, I know of the ticker and of the web sources. Use the download feature and other sources every day. Structured notes only have CUSIPs though, not tickers. These specific structured notes are customized also, and not available through retail custodians like your Schwabs or TDAs, etc. So, yes, they're traded on the exchanges but only through institutional sources, if that makes sense. I was hopeful, though didn't really expect, that there might be a source that accessed those via Quicken. I really didn't expect Quicken to be able to track those, much less even have a window into them. I'll see it in the custodial platform and I'll have to track it that way, which will have to be good enough and then manually update it.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Structured notes only have CUSIPs though, not tickers. 

Just to be clear(er), the information downloaded from a financial institution (FI aka brokerage) is not dependent on having a ticker. In almost all cases, the FI can and does supply a CUSIP and Quicken then uses that provided identifier as the link to the related Quicken security. If the FI sends the info, Quicken can use it, otherwise it becomes a user’s manual task.

This discussion has been closed.