Payroll/Paycheck Splits Disappeared/Deleted (edit)

Options
geoffj
geoffj Member ✭✭✭

I was looking over some tax related reports recently and found that for a large number of my 2020 paychecks the split categories have all disappeared. I looked in a 2022 backup I have and they are present there, so sometime between now and then something or some update has caused them to go away. This is a real pain as there are many linked transfers to bank accounts and 401k account in the original splits. Is there any way to export a bunch of transactions from a backup to import to current file? Is there any way to recover the corrupted splits?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @geoffj,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Unfortunately, there is no way to export only part of a backup. It would be all or none.

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. When did this issue occur? Did you notice any error codes or messages? What exactly occurred when you first noticed the issue?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It is hard to determine when this issue occurred. I have gone through several backups and found one made 2022 that has all the correct splits. I have found that 31 paycheck split transactions have been corrupted, the earliest being 12/2018 and latest being 9/2021.

When I look at the split transactions - say in my 401k, and say "go to matching transfer" it says account no longer exists in Quicken.

When I validate it lists all the broken paycheck transfers.

• tim-klo
    tim-klo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

After deleting a bi-monthly paycheck, all previous entries in my checking account were altered.

Only the deposit was left in the transaction! All the split entries dissapeared!

This can't possibly be expected behavior. What gives?

[Merged Post]

• RK_2023
    RK_2023 Member
    Options

I have also lost a portion of my paycheck splits, instead of splits there is now no entry for category at all. Found this out going through the budget in the planning center and noticing it's showing no salary income from Jan '23 - May '23. Only started tracking pay splits this year.

Just noticed this today, but has been 2 weeks since I last logged in.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for providing more information.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• diaz_sara
    diaz_sara Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Had the same issue before becoming a Beta Tester and reentering years worth of paychecks. Last night I created a backup file after verifying the "Separate - More Accounts" section (closed accounts) was zero because that is how I first noticed Paycheck splits disappearing.

Quicken appeared fine today. Went to the Bills & Income tab to discover a "Paycheck deposit" reminder had become a "Deposit" reminder. I recreated the Paycheck reminder using the Paycheck Wizard. After verifying the Paycheck Deposit reminder appeared correctly, I deleted the "Deposit" reminder. After a while of making entries, I happened to notice the "Separate - More Accounts" section had an amount appearing next to it. This led me to realize the Paycheck Splits entered post 5/5/17 through 2023 entered before 7/1/23 had lost all split data except for a few sporadic paychecks over the years.

I followed the Validate and Super Validate steps listed by Jasmine above which did not correct the data. Thankfully, I was able to restore the backup from last night and will recreate the entries made today.

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

No idea if related but during 2022 there was a release that wiped out paychecks that were setup with paycheck wizard.

The only fix was to restore backup.

The fix came out soon after BUT only prevented from happening again.

Ref.

• diaz_sara
    diaz_sara Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Just happened again after recreating a Paycheck with the Paycheck Wizard. Made a backup, went out and back into the program. Still all seemed well. Proceeded to delete the "Deposit" reminder. Made a backup, went out and back into the program. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about 2 hours later. My splits for that paycheck have disappeared with only a few sporadic "paychecks" still remaining with split detail.

The error must be when deleting a "deposit" reminder which was previously a "paycheck deposit" reminder with split detail. Validating and Super Validating to fix were unsuccessful again.

Currently using Version: B60.3, Build: 27.2.60.3

• WVinceW
    WVinceW Member
    Options

I deleted my paycheck reminder and all the previous years deposits related to this reminder disappeared as well! This impacted savings, HSA, investments, etc. that pull from the deposit reminder. Totally messed up all my accounts. Any help out there?

• kwallyz
    kwallyz Member ✭✭
    Options

This just happened to me as well after I tried to update a credit card account and it hung. It cleared paycheck split data going back to 2017.

• Nalu
    Nalu Member
    Options

I have been using this software since 1997. I never had issues with paychecks and splits until recently. Accurate recording of splits is essential for tax purposes and budgeting. Quicken has really dropped the ball; I am inclined to look for alternatives to this crappy software. I reviewed transactions; beginning in May 2017, splits started disappearing…but it wasn't every paycheck transaction…some retained splits, others didn't. There is no pattern. No rhyme to the reason. This is more than annoying, there is liability here. Am I supposed to go back to a 5 year old backup? I don't think so.

• iggirl
    iggirl Member ✭✭
    Options

I've had the same issue as other users on this thread. A Quicken online customer since near launch, circa 1996, I use splits extensively for paychecks, insurance auto/home, credit card paydowns, and myriad other items. A few months ago I did a lookback for a somewhat older paycheck and discovered the splits had vanished. Further investigation determined that ALL my splits for multiple years had vanished - the transactions were there but attributed to whatever category was associated with the og first split line.

Couple hours with Quicken support yielded nothing more helpful than validate/repair (unsuccessful) or restore from backup. Since it was some time before I detected the missing splits, I would have had to restore a months-old backup and lost many hours of unreplicatable data. Interestingly, splits I created on new transactions were accepted and seemed to be fine - I entered several, saved/exited (with a backup), went back in, splits were still there. So after exhausting options to restore the lost splits,, I decided to just forge ahead…angrily leaving behind years worth of splits but figuring I'd at least have new splits going forward.

Alas. No. Flash forward a few weeks, more hours of work and data added to quicken. Checked back to one of the newer splits from a couple weeks prior…it was gone too. WHAT?! This time, it was clear that the lost splits issue recurred right after another Quicken update. I'd started making more frequent backups out of admitted paranoia, but not every time I used Quicken (near daily), so not frequent enough…and not right before the backup (which I did not mean to allow, that was an unfortunate misclick).

Supremely frustrated, I reached back out to Quicken support. The team was pleasant and tried, but had no real insight on possible root causes, no solutions to offer other than those we already knew didn't fix the issue (we tried again anyway), "just restore from backup" (again, no thank you, too much unreplicatable data lost) or START OVER with a fresh Quicken file in case mine was corrupted. With no idea of root cause, we also had no idea whether any of those "solutions" would even solve the issue! My reaction to that last "start over" idea was…Not Positive.

But with no other viable option, I did start over. Sort of. Created a shiny new Quicken file and started exploring the export/import functionality. Over the following weeks, painstakingly exported and imported targeted data sets. None of the functionality for full Quicken file (all accounts) worked, so I had to do each account one at a time. First I'd open the latest Q file backup that had all the newer splits (got me into April) - select all transactions and export them - close that Q file and open the new one - import the dataset into the new Q file - cross-reconcile the item/$ totals. Then rinse repeat with the more recent Q file backup to scoop up activity from the April backup to present. Many hours, lots of bumps, a fair few mass updates, but eventually I had a fresh Q file where I had both my historical data and the most recent work. There are still some oddities in the data due to conversion, but at some point you have to say it's good enough, and know you can always look back into a much older backup if you really have to.

Nowadays, Quicken is constantly pushing me to update (again)…and I'm terrified to do it. Still have NO idea what caused the splits issue the first time, or the second - and without root cause, no confidence that the very next update won't have the same effect. Or some new issue that I might not detect for weeks or months. I've trusted and loved Quicken for literally decades, but I have to say this experience has really shaken my confidence.

• Q97
    Q97 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have mobile sync enabled? This has been suspected as the cause of numerous data file corruptions. If so, try turning it off for the checking account that contains your paycheck or just turn it off completely.

• gierdo
    gierdo Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been having issues for the past few months regarding paycheck edits but didn't have the time to dig into it until today. After running a file validation, there was several issues with "transaction(s) were linked to account(s) that are no longer in Quicken" that were splits in mine and my wife's paychecks for our 401ks. The log also said "Quicken has changed them to indicate that the account was deleted.", but none of these transactions in the log appear to have any changes to them .

Starting with my October 15, 2022 paycheck, my 401k contributions started showing up either assigned to a different account or with no account / category at all. In my case, this field had a value of $0 because I have a Roth 401k and use an After-Tax entry for it. I do get a match for it, the only way I saw to have this set up was to create a pre-tax entry for $0 and set the Employer Match for the proper amount. Trying to edit these $0 entries has no effect; the edits are not saved. Since the Pre-Tax $0 entry isn't assigned to the correct account, I have no idea how the match knows where to go, but I audited my 401k and all of the amounts are there.

To try to address the issue, I made a backup and then deleted the two repeating paychecks. As far as I can tell with some spot checks, this action did not affect any of my previous transactions as other users in this thread have experienced. I took Q97's input to heart and disabled all accounts I had synced under the Mobile and Web tab. (including the checking account I was having paycheck issues with), and turned the Sync option to OFF. Restarted Quicken and created new paychecks using the Paycheck Wizard. I has able to correctly set them up, and even made an edit to one that saved the changes. I made the entries from the Bills & Income tab, and they disappeared from this tab like normal (this was another issue I've had recently, where the paycheck transaction would appear in my account, but it wouldn't disappear from the Bills & Income tab). So far, so good. I guess I'll see what happens when the next paychecks are deposited at the end of the month.

• Martyc1
    Martyc1 Member
    Options

I deleted my paycheck reminder after leaving the company and all the previous years deposits related to this reminder disappeared as well! This impacted savings, HSA, investments, etc. that pull from the deposit reminder. Totally messed up all my accounts back to 2016. I had no idea of the impact until tonight and thank God I have a backup ten days ago before I deleted the scheduled trnasaction. Ten days of data re-entry is terrible but this type of a problem could be catastrophic for some if they don't notice the issue. I've been using Quicken since the 90's and this is the most disappointed I have been.

• iggirl
    iggirl Member ✭✭
    Options

Hmm, I do have sync enabled. I only use Quicken desktop app, never online / mobile device; but at some point after an update awhile back, it prompted me to enable and I accepted. Ever since, on app exit I get prompted to sync, and usually I say yes. I'll try turning that off just in case. Thanks!

• cacmark
    cacmark Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

I have this issue happen twice in last year. Each time, I have gone to a back-up. The latest occurred on July 7th after I deleted a paycheck reminder in order to create a new one (I had received a raise). I didn't see the issue until spending several hours reconciling various accounts.

[Removed - Rant/3rd-Party Software Mention]

• JohnPinchot
    JohnPinchot Member ✭✭
    Options

I have had problems with paycheck splits disappearing for a while now. At first I thought it was operator error. I get paid twice a month and I know for sure I entered the information correctly starting in May. I enter a paycheck using the paycheck wizard correctly each time. Later that same day the paycheck disappears. It leaves behind some of the splits. For example, today's entry left behind my 401K contributions. If I re-enter the paycheck, it will enter new 401K contributions. Quicken won't let me delete the old 401K contributions because it says it is part of a split.

I have been a long time Quicken user. If Quicken can't accurately track my paychecks, it is of no use to me. This is basic functionality. I don't care about other "enhancements" if the basic functionality is not there.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Quicken replacement. I hear Gnucash is pretty good.

• palmga
    palmga Member
    Options

This is sickening. I have lost 15 years worth of split deposits. I have several account that now show I am thousands of dollars in the negative because there has never been a single deposit. If this wasn't the only financial management software my bank supported, I would switch.

• rapptim
    rapptim Member ✭✭
    Options

I had the problem years ago. I turned off cloud/mobile sync and didn't have the issue for a number of years.

I just turned cloudy sync back on about 2-3 weeks ago assuming that Quicken had fixed the problem after years of people complaining about it. All was well until yesterday when all of my future scheduled paychecks zero'd themselves out.

Come on Quicken….you really have to do better. People are trusting you with decades of their data, myself included (1991 to present).

• rgfwwa
    rgfwwa Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Quicken Deluxe, ver. R51.12, build 27.1.51.12 on Windows 10 Home.

How I long for the days when Quicken didn't update every time I open it. At least it was stable. It feels like it's a permanently in beta. Today I discovered that Quicken has lost tens of bi-monthly paycheck splits going back 6 years. Not every paycheck, but enough that it will take hours to reconstruct the data back to 2017. I didn't notice the error until today, but it appears to have first appeared in or before May 2023. I may have earlier backups, but it means rebuilding everything after the sound backup, only to risk it's loss once again the next time Quicken changes. And were other transactions were similarly affected? Do I have to inspect ALL. my data every time I open Quicken?. I've been a Quicken user for over 20 years, but I'm ready to jump ship over this.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @rgfwwa,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, we recommend that you restore a backup that was saved prior to when this issue first started. Then, turn off Cloud Sync to see if that may help. 

Once you've restored the backup, follow the instructions provided below to turn off Cloud Sync.

1. Navigate to Edit 
    2. Preferences 
    3. Mobile & Web 
    4. Turn Sync OFF

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jose Espino
    Options

The problem with lost split information for paychecks continues. I entered a split transaction on Sunday (8/27) and Quicken records the information as a split across relevant accounts (e.g., 401K, savings, etc.). However, a day later after downloading and reconciling transactions the split information is lost.

What are the next steps from Quicken?

• rgfwwa
    rgfwwa Member ✭✭
    Options

Anja,

I know you're trying to be helpful, but, "turn off Cloud Sync to see if that may help"?

Try it, because no one at Quicken actually knows what caused the failure?

I had to go back to the end of March to get a backup that was not affected. That means 5 months of downloaded transactions lost, and those are not available by One Step Update - since the original file previously downloaded those transactions.

If I have to disable Cloud Sync to avoid this disaster in the future, do I get a discount for the loss of advertised functionality?

It looks like my best option is to use the defective file, disable Cloud Sync, and go through the exercise of recoding all my paystubs for 5 years. And then wonder where I'll find the next surprise loss of data.

Continuingly disappointed,

Rick

• sasswm
    sasswm Member
    Options

What is going on here? I realized I this issue. Gone as far back as 2019 and i stopped as all the splits are gone. WT heck Quicken. Been using this software since early 2000s. Biggest disappointment with this software I've ever had.

Anyone find a replacement for this lowering in quality software? If you can't get paychecks and related functionality correct, what's the point in me paying you a subscription fee which honestly provides me with very little at this point

• sasswm
    sasswm Member
    Options

I went back to a backup from June 2023 and the integrity of the paychecks seem to be good from that backup.

But, I'm hesitant to continue for fear this will just happen again.

Quicken - Do you have any guidance on this issue at this time?

• cpetro
    cpetro Member ✭✭
    Options

I have also had this issue with splits - not paycheck related, but with other entries where I use splits, such as mortgate payments. When I ran reports to give my accountant for 2022 tax return (extension), all the splits were gone. There were also other issues, such as reminders that were set up not showng up in my registers. All seem to have followed Quicken updates (of which there have been many in the past year). My issues caused a lot of extra time to correct, but I really feel for others who have posted on this issue relating to their paycheck splits going back for years. I, too, have been a Quicken user for my small business and personal since the 1990's and, up to now, have been satisfied with this software, But, these recent issues with no apparent resolution, are very concerning.

• CommonSenseEngineer
    Options

Hello community, I have been fighting this battle for years.

Even was involved with Quickens early beta testing of potential fixes, which for a while found one that worked (roughly a few months). But here we are again. I leverage the mobile cloud feature heavily, so I am just dealing with it. Knowing that the majority of times I do a full sync (includes mobile/cloud sync), my recent paycheck split will completely be deleted but leave remnants of the splits behind in various accounts (HSA / 401k,) , in which those then no longer have a matching transaction (as the paycheck/split was deleted by quicken code/bug during sync).
    So every few weeks after the sync deletes the recent paycheck entered I complete the manual workaround.
    - I copy a previous/existing paycheck, update the date/data accordingly, and then go back and delete the old unmatched transactions made in other accounts.

If you don't leverage Paychecks with multiple splits to other accounts or don't leverage cloud/mobile sync, you will not experience this issue. Good luck all, just don't have the time to fight the battle anymore.

• jsky
    jsky Member ✭✭
    Options

Another user reporting the same disaster. User since 90s. Lost all splits in paychecks from Mid 2016 forward.

And we reentering them (based off a copy of a transaction), each are saved. But then minutes later, about 50% or more are LOST again, Poof, disappeared.

Just turned off the Sync to Cloud feature. THIS CANNOT BE acceptable.

Jeff

• jsky
    jsky Member ✭✭
    Options

Long time user (since early 90s). So relieved this is not just ME and VERY DISAPPOINTED that it continues.

Is the fix to just sacrifice the Mobile Cloud usage? TURN IT OFF, after you spend hours re-entering years of paycheck splits and cross your fingers they are not lost again?

This discussion has been closed.