Specific payee transaction report missing feature to provide sub total of splits

Options
CaptainKen
CaptainKen Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports

Using the latest version (Version: R50.15 Build: 27.1.50.15) of Quicken Deluxe subscription on Windows 10 Enterprise.

Specific payee transaction report missing feature to provide sub total of splits within each transaction.

I need a transaction report for a specific payee, showing the sub total of splits within each transaction. To be clear this is not a subtotal by payee, I need it for a specific single payee. Although I suppose the case exists for selecting multiple payees to subtotal by transaction for each.

I've tried customizing both a Transactions report and an Itemized Payee report.

The Display tab within the Customize window has a "Subtotal by" field, but it oddly doesn't not include option for "Transaction". This lack of a basic expectation is a huge deficiency of the reporting system.

BTW, the column for "Payee" is incorrectly named "Description" in the customize report dialog as well as the report itself when run.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Do you want a report for one Payee that shows each transaction for that Payee with the total amount of the transaction and the amount and Category for each split? If so,

• Click on All transactions at the top of the Accounts bar
    • Enter the Payee name in the Search box
    • Select the accounts and date range to include
    • Go to Print > All transactions or hit Ctrl-P to generate the report
    • Check the Print split transactions box then Print …

The column that shows the Payee is called Description in some reports because they can include investing accounts and not all investing transactions have a Payee, sometimes that field shows the security name and number of shares, etc.

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@CaptainKen ,

which of the reports that you looked at comes closest to what you're looking for?
    Can you show us an example of that report, annotated to show what you want added, and attach it to your next comment here? That would help.
    Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• CaptainKen
    CaptainKen Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for responding.

Yes I have "show splits" enabled. I've tried both the Transaction report and the Itemized Payees report. They both offer the same settings and come with the same limitation as shown in this screen shot. It doesn't allow to subtotal by "Transaction". So in this screen shot example I need the total of the splits for each transaction shown.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Did you try the approach I described yesterday, using the All Transactions view?

Did that work for you? If not, what is missing?

• CaptainKen
    CaptainKen Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jim, sorry I had misread your post thinking it was referring to the Transactions report I had already tried. Thanks for mentioning it again.

Your suggestion gets me closer, however not pretty when printed Also, since my target isn't to print, but to export, oddly that gives the same problem as the printed report. The problem is, as shown in these screen shots, is that the category name for each split item is on its' own line, rather than simply following the standard of putting it into its own column. So even in Excel, it will leave a lot of editing to move that row, or even to delete it which is what I would most likely do. Granted I could create a macro, but seems rather silly to put time into something that should be a few clicks to output in an expected presentable view in any format.

IMO, it seems clear that Quicken needs to do tweaking to their reports.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I apply Tags where I want to pull out one part of a complex split, then sum on Tags.

That's probably the easiest way to get a lot of split specifics.

• CaptainKen
    CaptainKen Member ✭✭
    Options

That's a clever approach. Just did a test on a few transactions and looks great. Unfortunately, I'd need to do a lot of editing to get Tags in place. Plus consider that for the same payee, there might be multiple Tags within the same split. If there was a total for each Untagged Transaction, that would work however, but wouldn't make much sense considering how it is subtotaling.

Example for me: I could have a tag for Projects, Supplies and Tools. However, Projects would be multiple possibilities, depending on the Project, so not generalized, which I already do. Whereas, supplies and tools would be general for each.

Also ignores what categories are for, which even subtotaling on categories wouldn't work for me.

So subtotal by transaction would bring a lot to the table. I sure hope Quicken is seeing this thread.🤞

Thank you again!

• Jim_Harman
    Options

You are right, this report seems like a carry-over from the DOS days.

The format of the report and export depend on the layout option you select for the register. Click on the gear at the top right of the register and select "Use One-line display" or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-2. The 1-line mode should give you a more useable export format.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @CaptainKen,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow.

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• CaptainKen
    CaptainKen Member ✭✭
    Options

I just had a flashback to the DOS days 😁 @Jim_Harman, since I've been using Quicken since may 1998, fist saw at Comdex in LV. Although, I don't use many power user features link investments, etc.

The suggestion for "use one line display" is a lot closer CVS export to what I needed. I"m lucky this time around since all the transactions are in one account and only for one payee, etc. So doing it this way gives up a lot of the standard customization that the reporting module provides.

Another thing is that this method limits to CSV, compared to the standard Excel, txt and pdf offered in the reporting module. Yep I know CVS is generic Excel. I guess what needs to happen is this report from All Transactions should simply call the standard custom reporting module to provide a way to subtotal on transactions as I suggested previously as well as provide the many other features such as the drill down interface it provides, which I used extensively to clean up the splits.

Well thank you @Quicken Anja , I got lucky and someone from Quicken was listening.😀