Amex CC-505

Options
cjim
cjim Member ✭✭✭

Started receiving CC-505 errors a couple of days ago whenever I attempt to download credit card transactions from Amex. Anyone else having the same issue?

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @cjim,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

The CC-505 error code is usually caused by a temporary outage on the financial institution's servers. In which case, we recommend that you try updating again after a few hours have passed or the next business day. 

For more information, if you haven't already, please refer to this support article regarding error CC-505.

As stated in the article, if the error persists after the 3rd business day, then you will need to contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance. At that point, our support agents will need to collect and review your log files to investigate the internal error and may likely be required to file an escalation if they see fit.

Please click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja - After 4 days Amex still does not work. Still getting a CC-505. I tried "resetting" the account and the process forces a "reauthorization". I go through the login process to Amex, return to Quicken and Quicken spins for a couple of minutes says the connection timed out. After 6 "reauthorization" attempts using different browsers I gave up. I have to believe that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

I've been using Quicken for many years and I am familiar enough to know that this has nothing to do with my system or installation. It isn't the first time this has happened with Amex or other connections. Is someone looking into fixing this? Amex is my primary account.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited July 2023
    Options

As of now, we do not have any further reports of other users experiencing this error with American Express.

As previously mentioned, if the issue persists past 3 business days then you will need to contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance so our support agents can collect and review your log files and file an escalation if they see fit.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cjim - Amex has many different FI names that can work interchangeably for their credit cards. Which one are you using? For what card?

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja @QWinUser Thank you for trying to help. I've been a Quicken customer for many many years and this Authorization process has cause me so much pain. I can't tell you how many times I've gone through the process and it continues to fail. I have "reauthorize" my Amex account successfully 20+ times and still Quicken can't complete the process because it says it cannot connect and times out.

I am using the "American Express" financial institution connection and I am only using it for a Hilton Honnors Surpass credit card to download transactions.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cjim - there is another FI for the Hilton Honors card that might work better for you. There is one called Hilton HHonors -

From the posts I have seen, it looks like this is the one with the Honors card that people are using. Try resetting up online services again with this FI. After you disconnect from your current FI (American Express) make sure to delete the FI Name and Account Number from the General tab. Then search for Hilton HHonors, select it, and then proceed with the online set up.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@QWinUser - For some reason I don't have the Hilton Financial Institution you found available to me. Neither a search for "Hil" like you did or one for "Hilton" return any results. Not only is this strange but I've been using the Amex FI with the HHonors card for years and now it does not work.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am experiencing exactly the same issue described in the first post of this thread:

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cjim - it looks like the FI "Hitlon HHonors Credit Card" is no longer being used. I checked the internal FI Directory to confirm. I should have confirmed before I responded. Please accept my apologies.

As for the C-505 error resolution, per @Quicken Anja initial response above, I think the next step for you would be to contact Quicken Support on Monday or whenever you are able, if this issue persists. They have the tools and resources to diagnose and troubleshoot this issue. It could be a widespread issue, but again, it would be Quicken Support that can determine that from your interaction with them.

• Robert
    Robert Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue, AMEX cc-505 happening every day for probably 5 days (or longer). Tried to reset account but this fails after AMEX tells me it was successful, quicken says it timed out. Attached photo of the cc-505 error (note: I have one AMEX account with 4 credit cards).

I then try to reset accounts. AMEX says it worked:

Then quicken says it worked and I will be redirected:

But I never gets redirected and then quicken says it timed out.

Any suggestions??

• JJ Long Time User
    Options

I am experiencing the same behavior as Robert for about a week now.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Robert - if you don't get automatically redirected, you should manually close this window to get back to the Quicken set up screen which is hidden in the background.

Unfortunately, this is not made clear to the user.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@QWinUser closing that window does not resolve the problem for me.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cjim - when you close that window, it doesn't get you back to the Quicken set up screen? Or are you saying that it doesn't resolve the CC-505 error?

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@QWinUser The Amex re-authorization step completes successfully but the browser window it runs in never closes. It does not matter if you click in the browser window to close the Amex session or not. The behavior is the same, Quick times out and fails thus (I guess) it cannot connect to Amex to confirm re-authorization completed successfully.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just did it myself and was able to get back to the Quicken set up screen which was hidden behind. I have several accounts with Amex and they are working just fine. I am wondering if the Quicken setup screen is somewhere in the background and you just can't see it? Sometimes if you use "Alt-Tab", you would be able to see all the screens on your desktop, and bring the one you want to the forefront.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@QWinUser Can you please describe what the Quicken set up screen looks like that you mentioned. I am only aware of the screen in Quicken that asks you to sign into Amex, Activate One Step Update. That pops up a browser window where I login to Amex then check the box to authorize access. That step completes successfully. It then takes you to the "return to Quicken" screen and I click that button to return to Quicken which just takes you to a success screen in the browser. All this time the Quick app is spinning on its own trying to confirm the re-authorization step completed and simply times out after a while.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cjim - the Quicken setup screen is the usual one were you are presented with a list of accounts at Amex and for each one you need to decide if you want to "create a new account", "link to existing" or "ignore".

If you do get the "success" screen, then just simply close it to get to the Quicken setup screen. If you still don't see it, you can use the "Alt-Tab" to find it.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@QWinUser - I never get to that step because Quicken times out beforehand. Quicken never sees that the re-authorization was completed.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cjim when you get to this screen, close it and you should be able to get back to the Quicken setup screen.

This is the one that times you out if it doesn't close. It should automatically close, but if not, you need to close it manually.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@QWinUser Nope. Does not work that way for me unfortunately. It still times out.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@cjim have you tried clicking on "Sign in"? I don't see that screen for my Amex accounts.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@QWinUser yes, I sign in first

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Yes, but did you try to click on that "sign in" on that screen print you provided?

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community, though I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. The "Sign into American Express bank failed. Try Again" error message often comes up when communication is being blocked by a firewall, VPN, anti-virus, or a browser setting. Which browser are you using when going through the connection process? Have you tried temporarily setting a different default browser and trying again with that different browser? Have you tried temporarily disabling or pausing your firewall, VPN, and/or anti-virus, in case they are interfering with the connection? Sometimes antivirus-software comes with a "safe banking" or "safe browsing" option that essentially pulls your session to a custom browser. If your anti-virus does that, please temporarily turn that feature off when going through the authorization process with American Express.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

yes … I am convince this is not an issue on my side.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina - thank you for posting this. While I did not post some of the other troubleshooting steps I have taken I can share that I have tried turning off Norton, and I have a simple router that uses NAT like most home routers use today. I think the most significant fact is that I have not made changes to my Norton or router in a very long time and re-authorization has worked with Amex for me before. It just stopped working about a week ago just as it has for a couple of other people have also reported the same problem on this thread earlier today.

• Robert
    Robert Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just tried switching browser from Firefox to Edge. Edge has no add-ons or anything and all "protections" are off. Same exact behavior.

Again, I only tried to reset the accounts because of the persistent cc-505 error. Similar to @cjim, I'm sure this is a problem on either AMEX or Quicken side as I've had these accounts working for years. Only change was a couple of months again when I was forced to change from direct connect to Express Web Connect+.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I've now tried Edge, Chrome and Firefox. None behave any different. Still not able to download./connect. Still get timeout.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

If the actions I suggested do not work to resolve this issue, then I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.