R52.19 - Banking Transaction Report not filtering on Memo [edited]

Options
GTmem
GTmem Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Reports (Windows)

After the last update, to Build 27.1.52.19, all my reports that use a filter on the Memo field no longer work properly. ie.. I get the same report result whether I put something into the "Memo Contains" box or not.

Best Answers

• dlt_lpd
    dlt_lpd Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

Was having the issue with Memo filter not working. I created a new transaction report, added my memo search string. Initially, it did not work, but when I sorted the memo field after the report displayed, it worked.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Excellent observation and a good workaround, @dlt_lpd !

To restate it in slightly more technical terms, the "Memo contains" filter is applied only if the report is sorted in Memo order.

If you click on the Memo header to sort the report in Memo order then customize it to specify the "Memo contains" information and any other filters, the report is displayed correctly. If you click on a different header to re-sort, the "Memo contains" filter is ignored. If you click on the Memo header again, the "Memo contains" filter is applied and the report is again displayed correctly.

Note that this same issue and workaround applies to all reports that are derived from the Banking Transaction report, including banking account Register reports.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

The cause of this issue has been identified and a fix will be implemented in a future release, though we do not have an ETA. Thank you for your continued patience. I am sorry that this has been ongoing for as long as it has.

Answers

• kwkmjk
    kwkmjk Member ✭✭
    Options

I have exactly the same problem that seems to have just started fairly recently. I have several reports that use this filter method and none seem to be working now.

Can anyone help to correct this problem please?

• Joseph Witkin
    Joseph Witkin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

SInce update to 52.19, my reports are ignoring the filter "memo contains".

I make reports for trip expenses pulling up all dates, all accounts, category "travel", and "memo contains" the filter for the specific trip, such as "Maui SEP 23" or "Princeton Feb 22". I have reports going back to 2015. This has been working fine for many years. Since update R52.19, all of these reports ignore the "memo contains" filter and show every transaction in the 'travel" category since 2015 - worthless! Is there a fix? Are others seeing this? Is there a mondo patch for the previous version to revert??

Quicken for Windows H&B subscription, WIndows 11 Enterprise

• Aeleus
    Aeleus Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm experiencing the same thing after the recent update.

Quicken is also slower to load and hangs when trying to run saved reports that use the memo field as a filter.

Version: 52.19

Build: 27.1.52.19

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We will be forwarding this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. It would also aid the investigation to include a sanitized file when submitting the problem report. A sanitized file is a data file that removes personally identifiable information so you can comfortably share this file with the Quicken team.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

(CTP-7772)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jim_Harman
    edited September 2023
    Options

[correction] This is not fixed in R52.20.

I edited the title to show that this affects Banking Transaction reports, both the built-in report and saved reports.

[update 9/17]

A workaround for this issue is to click on the Memo header to sort the report in Memo order. When you do this, the "Memo contains" filter is applied correctly, otherwise it is ignored. Thanks @dlt_lpd for finding this workaround!

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

definitely NOT fixed for me!

• Jim_Harman
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Joseph Witkin Are you running R52.20, which just came out today?

I tried a few reports and a saved one with R52.20 and they all worked for me.

[Update] The Banking Transaction report is still broken.

Are you using one of the built-in reports or a saved report?

What other settings are you using for the report?

What is the original report?

If a saved report, please re-create it from one of the built-in reports and let us know if that fixes it.

Thanks

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

yes, 52.20. These are saved reports. I believe Quicken removed some report formatting and sorting options for new reports a while back but existing reports continued to work. I customize an existing saved report and save it with a new name. Worked for years.

Customized reports have been one of Quicken’s best features. I pray they are not going away.

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

tried restoring from a backup from day before the update in case the update was corrupting the data file- but still ignores “memo contains”.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Please try it starting with a built-in report. For example I used the standard Itemized Category report, selected just the Insurance Category, and on the Category tab, entered "Rx" without the quotes in the Memo Contains box. It only shows the transactions with Rx in the Memo.

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

not home now, will look at it. I recall though that I cannot recreate the detail of my saved reports starting from a new report. Selecting transactions with filters, then sort by categories with sub sorting by date or account not available. I remember reading that that had happened. Probably a few years back.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Yes please share the details of your report setup. I don't know of any reporting features that have been lost.

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

Quite sure you cannot create a report like this starting from scratch with Quicken's current built-in reports. (numbers cropped out, but shows subtotals for each group, etc)

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks like a pretty standard Banking / Cash Flow report to me - customized for whatever categories.

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

I have a newer data file that I use for a different entity- I remember I was not able to create reports with the formatting options I wanted. I haven’t tried recently because modifying the saved reports always worked.

And it’s kind of beside the point- I don’t want to recreate years of reports. Quicken should fix the bug so the existing reports continue to work. It would be a very major issue for me, and I’m sure others, if that doesn’t happen!

having faith.

j

• Matt3333
    Options

I just experienced this problem today for reports I have been using for several years - filtering on memo stopped working. It happened just after upgrading to R52.2 Build 27.1.52.20 today. It was working just today before the upgrade.

To diagnose, I created a brand new quicken data file with one cash account and two entries. One entry I put "test" in the memo field. If I create a "Banking/Transaction" report the functionality of memo filtering is broken. My existing reports were created this way.

However, per the suggestion of Jim_Harman above I created a report under "Spending/Itemized Categories" and it DOES work (I tried a couple other under "Reports/Spending" and they also seemed to work).

So this one is easy to recreate - hopefully the developers can can it fixed soon!

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

You are right, I can re-create one of my travel expense reports as you say. I wish the spacing of the fields was remembered better - but it does work.

But we travel maybe 10 time per year; my reports go back to 2008. I have a ton of saved reports that don't work. I certainly don't want to delete them all and re-create them!

My reports that do not select transactions based on "memo contains" seem to still work, though I haven't had time to study completely. But I really need my existing reports, which have the setting for "memo contains", to work as they are supposed to!

J

• kwkmjk
    kwkmjk Member ✭✭
    Options

I just sent another Help request to Quicken on this subject. Sent one on 9/7 and reported here too when I first noticed the problem BEFORE I updated to new 52.20 release later that day. I am still having the same problem even when I "recreated" one of my reports from scratch using a new Quicken Spending by Category "canned" report. Using most current version 52.20 Build 27.1.52.20. Problem started very recently after my many reports using a memo contained word filter have worked fine recently and for literally years also.

Important feature for many of us…sure hope they can fix this problem FAST !

• user17881
    user17881 Member ✭✭
    Options

52.20 has NOT fixed this issue. I had to revert to two releases ago, 51.12. It's almost impossible to find the patch to do this. Go to SUPPORT, search for GEN00666, and you'll find a link to the prior releases. Remember, this is a "backwards patch" - you don't want to UNINSTALL Quicken - you just run your current (defective) version, then run the patch (QW27.1.51.12MPatch.EXE) and it takes it back to when the filter by memo was still working.

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

thank you for that! But how do you keep older Quicken version from auto updating?

• GTmem
    GTmem Member ✭✭
    Options

The latest release did not fix the problem. It looks like any report that was built off the TRANSACTION base report does not work. The base TRANSACTION report is not working and is behaving just like all my old reports built on transactions.

• hurtmj
    hurtmj Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue - using version R52.20. No matter what I put in the "memo contains" box it just shows me every single transaction. Need fix ASAP. This is a critical and fundamental feature.

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

Message from User17881 above much appreciated! Allows revert to Quicken version 51 from August 2023 in which this error has not yet appeared. Just run the Mondo patch with Quicken not running. To keep it from auto updating, set windows UAC setting in the User Accounts control panel to Always. - the you get a warning before Quicken tries to update and you can say no. Relieved that old old reports work with this version- no damage to the data file from the bug.

I’m sure Quicken will fix the issue, but this appears stable until that happens. :)

• farmwife
    Options

Adding myself to the list of affected users. Running R52.20, none of my transaction reports searching on the memo field are working. This is critical to our operation and we need it fixed ASAP. I am unable to collect the data I need even re-running fresh reports. It appears that any report based on transactions is failing. I did submit the help/bug report through Quicken. THIS is the #1 reason I didn't want to be forced into a subscription model with forced updates. We are completely at the developers mercy here and this is running our financial lives. Not OK. — I would delay or skip updates but Quicken gets really quirky and unusable whenever I delay. And sometimes it crashed entirely until I do the next update. This should have been better tested before release.

• Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Any fix yet on the memo field?

• Joseph Witkin
    edited September 2023
    Options

no but no issues after temporarily reverting to 51.12 as described above.

After setting UAC to “always”, Quicken informs me that there is a newer version after OSU, but does not force install. It asked me once if I want to allow changes, I said no. Has not tried again.

• Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Joseph,

I have UAC set the same way and usually check here before I do an update. Glad I did on this one as some issues are still unresolved and I don't like to have to revert to an older version. I had to do that about a year ago and that is when I stopped the auto install of updates until I know the are stable. Everything working the way I want it to so I will wait until I hear they fix the memo issue before I allow UAC to process the update.

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

I find the UAC nags annoying to leave it on all the time- but definitely on for now.

• Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I wasn't using UAC either but then sometime in the past year I had an update that messed up some mortgages that I use Quicken for. That was messed up and I had to revert to an older version and then just waited until I heard that was fixed. It took about 2 to 2 updates before that was back to normal so I just stayed with the old version until I knew it was okay to update. Lesson learned about it being better to wait for updates unless you have a problem. I do the same think with major Windows updates after having my computer messed up a few times. I Google for potential problems to see what is happening and them wait for Windows to do the update automatically after the update is 3-4 weeks old.

• Joseph Witkin
    Options

is there a fix yet?

This discussion has been closed.