Chase - Download QFX Problems OL-221 (edit79)

Options

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I want to say something, I get the impression that maybe some people on this thread are talking about some kind of problem when running One Step Update. If that is the case, that is a completely different problem. This thread is about downloading a QFX file and importing it into Quicken. Currently Chase is generating one with errors in it, and that is the problem.

One can go through the QFX file and fix it if they so desire, and know what they are doing, but they will also most likely have duplicate transactions when Chase finally fixes the QFX file because they can't pick the same FITIDs for each transaction that Chase will pick. Quicken stores the FITIDs and uses that information to block importing the same transaction more than once.

@asmm said:

If my theory is correct that quicken and chase have decided that quicken customers will need to provide their chase credentials (chase username, chase password) to quicken and then passed into the chase software systems to enable a data correct qfx import into quicken.

This is incorrect. One of the reasons some people like to use Web Connect/QFX is because it never requires you to provide your credentials. At no time is it actually logging into your account at the financial institution.

Here is a properly formatted QFX file with one transaction in it. You can copy it to a text editor, save it with the .QFX extension and then import that into Quicken (if will ask to create a new account since the account information doesn't match anything you have in your data file). If you do that you will see that it imports without any errors. You can do this in a new test file with nothing of your account information in it. Note it will be setup showing Chase as the financial (this forum software broke this up into two sections, all of it should be put into one QFX file)

OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX>
    <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <SONRS>
    <INTU.BID>10898
    <DTSERVER>20231030200814
    <LANGUAGE>ENG
    <FI>
    <ORG>ISC
    <FID>10898
    </FI>
    <STATUS>
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    <CODE>0
    </STATUS>
    </SONRS>
    </SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <BANKMSGSRSV1>
    <STMTTRNRS>
    <STMTRS>
    <BANKACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>Test
    <BANKID>1234567
    <ACCTTYPE>CHECKING
    </BANKACCTFROM>
    <LEDGERBAL>
    <BALAMT>405.00
    <DTASOF>20231030000000
    </LEDGERBAL>
    <BANKTRANLIST>
    <DTEND>20231030200814
    <STMTTRN>
    <NAME>Test Transaction
    <TRNAMT>405.00
    <DTPOSTED>20231030
    <TRNTYPE>CREDIT
    <FITID>DylpUPsi7+bzyGrT3oqfng
    </STMTTRN>
    <DTSTART>20231030000000
    </BANKTRANLIST>
    <CURDEF>USD
    </STMTRS>
    <STATUS>
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    <CODE>0
    </STATUS>
    <TRNUID>0
    </STMTTRNRS>
    </BANKMSGSRSV1>
    </OFX>

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • skiprose1015
    skiprose1015 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I am also unable to download from Chase on 10/31/23.

• robertwoliver7
    Options

Is there a fix for the Chase download issue?

• esimian
    esimian Member ✭✭
    Options

Any update on Ticket #10521142/CTP-7909? Taking a while to resolve.

• BigB2023
    BigB2023 Member
    Options

I have the same issue with importing QFX files from Chase. Here is a screenshot of the error I get.

I assume this is same issue waiting on Chase to resolve.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Known issue, see this thread:

You need to complain to Chase, they are responsible for this error.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jflamantia
    jflamantia Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

getting this error

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's not Chrome. You would get the same error using any browser.
    The reason is that your credit card company no longer supports downloading using QFX files and has created "broken" download files.
    Recommend you search the Community and read a number of other discussions on the subject of QFX file download problems.

Try to activate your credit card for downloading with One Step Update. Use Tools Menu / Add Account to perform the activation. Follow instructions carefully. You may be asked to access a special bank webpage and perform an authorization procedure. When done, immediately switch back to Quicken and resume the activation process. Be sure to Link the account found at the bank to your already existing credit card register.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @skiprose1015 and @robertwoliver7,

This is a known issue that has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates and information.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @jflamantia,

Is the financial institution you are experiencing this error with “Chase” by chance?

If so, please be aware that this is a known issue that has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates and information.

If it is a different financial institution, then as stated at the bottom of this support article regarding error OL-221; "Web Connect (Importing a QFX file from your bank's website) - Receiving this error when downloading a QFX file directly from your bank's website indicates an issue with the file itself. You will need to contact your bank to resolve this issue."

Since QFX files are created and provided by the financial institution, Quicken is unable to resolve this issue. Only the financial institution providing the file can.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• wchornung
    wchornung Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Has anybody come up with any reasonable workarounds to import Chase credit card transactions into Quicken for nearly a month. This issue remains unresolved by Quicken… very frustrating.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The error is Chase's issue, not Quicken. Chase is producing a download that does not have all of the necessary information in it to be a successful download/import.

If you do a Web Connect (.QFX) file download from Chase and look at it with Notepad, you will see that the FITID field is 0 in every transaction. The FITID is supposed to be a unique value for that transaction in that account to prevent duplicates, with them all being 0, at best you would get the first transaction and the rest would be considered duplicates and not presented for acceptance.

That is not the only problem with the downloaded information, but Quicken has nothing to do with creating that .QFX file, it is all Chase's creation.

You need to call and complain LOUDLY to Chase to get this issue fixed.

This issue has been discussed on this forum extensively and searching for "Chase" and "OL-221" will show those threads.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• MrHMon
    MrHMon Member ✭✭
    Options

Your theory is definitely incorrect or at the very least an impossible long-shot. This issue has nothing to do with Quicken other than Quicken is affected by it. I haven't used Quicken in years - I'm just here because it's the most active place regarding this issue.

The issue is solely the fault of Chase. When I download the QFX file (Quicken is not tied to my account in any way), I'm missing the ACCTID and have all FITIDs set to 0. Again, Quicken was not involved. I can fix the file by hand (and have been), but it's yet another step and time consuming.

This is solely on Chase to resolve. If Quicken attempts to resolve it, I'm assuming it would require coding to at least cover the following: (1) they would have to ask the user for the account into which to import (to resolve the missing FITID), and (2), they will need to hold much more information regarding a transaction in order to not import duplicates. Even then, there will be issues…

For example, if I purchase a Coke at 10 AM, I'll have the following in the QFX file:

<STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20231101120000[0:GMT]
    <TRNAMT>-2.00
    <FITID>0
    <NAME>COKE MACHINE
    </STMTTRN>

Then, if I purchase a coke at 3 PM, I will have the following:

<STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20231101120000[0:GMT]
    <TRNAMT>-2.00
    <FITID>0
    <NAME>COKE MACHINE
    </STMTTRN>

Note that they're identical, but if they're compared with the given data, they will be seen as duplicates and one will be omitted from the import. A unique FITID is absolutely necessary (along with the account number), but Chase isn't providing the information (i.e. they are going against the QFX standard).

My hope here is that Quicken is a big enough entity that they can push Chase, more than any of us individually, to get this resolved.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jflamantia - it sure would help to tell us what you are doing to get this error -

Are you manually downloading a QFX file from CHASE -
    and then getting the OL-221 when you attempt to IMPORT into Quicken ??????

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I may be wrong, but I believe it is impossible for one to get an OL-221a error when using One Step Update with Chase.

Chase is now only Express Web Connect + for all banking and investment accounts when using One Step Update. This protocol doesn't use the OFX standard at all. OL-221 has two meanings, syntax error and the financial institution isn't a participating partner.

It should be basically impossible get either of these with Express Web Connect +.

It is Intuit's servers that connect to the financial institution with the FDX protocol. So, they absolutely know that they are talking to "participating partners". And as for syntax errors those should be all caught at Intuit's servers, because when it gets to Quicken (the program) it is in a completely different format. It uses "Sync" from Quicken to the "Quicken Connection Services (QCS) as in Quicken Cloud server/dataset". The logging of Express Web Connect + for Quicken (the program) is done in the Cloud Sync Log.

Signature:
  • asmm
    asmm Member
    Options

Maybe the issue is that Chase no longer wants to support QFX files and avoid the institutional fees and wants to support Express Web Connect + only. Chase probably can save money by doing so. If true, then quicken should inform it's customers.

• MrHMon
    MrHMon Member ✭✭
    Options

Folks - Chase has posted a partial fix to this today.

Unique FITIDs are now being posted to the QFX file, so all you have to do at this point is add your ACCTID to the file. At least that makes it much simpler to get by until a full fix is implemented.

• asmm
    asmm Member
    Options

Yes, that's correct the FITID data is now filled. The account number still missing. Hope that's fixed soon. :)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Baby steps. 😉

Signature:
  • tenorMichaelK
    Options

Successfully downloaded a QFX file this morning. Hope springs eternal.

• MrHMon
    MrHMon Member ✭✭
    Options

Same here - QFX now contains both unique FITIDs and the ACCTID.

Amazing that such a seemingly small thing took essentially one full month to resolve.

• David M Eisenberg
    Options

It takes a village. Thanks to all who agitated for a fix. 😀

• RBRG001
    RBRG001 Member
    Options

Has there been any progress on fixing this? It started on or before October 8th…

• chojo
    chojo Member
    Options

I was also just able to get a successful download from Chase for the first time since October 3. I did a manual (not one step) download, and double clicked on the file in my downloads folder with Quicken open. The full month of transactions loaded to Quicken and each imported transaction matched one of the transactions I'd manually entered into Quicken during the last month. If it matters, I was on the Chase web site through Firefox. I've tried this every morning for the last month and was shocked when it worked this morning.

• RBRG001
    RBRG001 Member
    Options

Has there been any progress yet on this issue??

• RBRG001
    RBRG001 Member
    Options

IT LOOKS LIKE ITS WORKING AS OF TODAY!

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Shhhh! Not so loud! You'll wake up Mr. Murphy!

😁

• MoreThanOneDave
    MoreThanOneDave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

[Removed - Off Topic]

• Rick Klock
    Rick Klock Member ✭✭
    Options

looks like Chase has fixed their problem with downloading files. It worked yesterday for me. Thanks for all your help

• Linda Rickus Perry
    Options

Chase is finally working for me again (after spending hours on the phone yesterday with quicken support) What a relief. Funny enough this morning I couldn’t download any citibank transactions. Hopefully it is just a temporary issue

This discussion has been closed.