R52.33 - Unable to open data file on first try - then opens after pointing to file (edit75)

Options

Answers

• I have the same problem and it started after the last Quicken update. To my mind, it's pretty ridiculous that Quicken can't function by opening a saved file on a cloud drive like Quicken - I mean come on people, get with the 21st century and update the archaic mindset that you have. Your software is essentially a database and should be able to query and utilize a source file, no matter the location…this is basic database functionality your software should be more than capable of dealing, particularly with such a major provider like Microsoft. It blows my mind how intransigent and inflexible you are with what you do.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Christopher Pierdominici It isn't a "mindset" it is a very old code base. And just for the record database in general need special treatment in comparison to regular data files. And before one calls for a "rewrite of Quicken" I will tell that it can't be done economically.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PriusKaiser
    PriusKaiser Member ✭✭
    Options

FYI - I have Microsoft OneDrive version 23.226.1031.0003 on both my 10 year old PC running Windows 10 and my new HP Z2 Workstation running Windows 11. Quicken Classic Deluxe has error issue on the old Windows 10 PC, but works fine on the new Windows 11 HP Z2 Workstation. I just checked Quicken and see I'm running different versions. On my old Windows 10 PC I had updated to the patch Version Beta63.19. My new Windows 11 PC has most recent version R53.16. I might delete the patched beta version and revert to the standard R53.16 as the OneDrive has changed several times since it was first reported as related to OneDrive version 23.209.1008.0002 back in October.

• rdhiller
    rdhiller Member
    Options

Installed the patch but no change to results. As you requested, the file path is C:\Users\rdhil\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken

• jsattenspiel
    jsattenspiel Member ✭✭
    Options

Installed the patch, didn't work. Uninstalled Quicken, reinstalled it, applied patch, and still couldn't open data file. Data file path is "C:\Users\jsatt\OneDrive\Quicken Data - Shared\Current.QDF"

• Robert 833
    Options

I installed the patch and it seems to be working. I opened and closed the program several times and it opens the file without issue.

my path is C:\Users\bobby\OneDrive\1Drv Home Docs\Financial\Quicken\xxx.qdf

Using Windows 10 Home

• jsattenspiel
    jsattenspiel Member ✭✭
    Options

Additional information related to my post above. I did a validation on my data file and found some orphaned transactions reported. I made a copy of my dataset and, after validating and super-validating it to confirm the orphaned transactions had been removed, reconnected it to my various online accounts. Trying to open that dataset with OneDrive active consistently fails.

• Camperdude
    Options

Just gave up and put my data file back on my computer hard drive. Left the backups on one drive. Problem solved for now.

• Dickamm
    Dickamm Member
    Options

Getting the error message upon opening Quicken is annoying, but after it opens with no data file, I simply open the correct data file from the File menu. Works for me every time. Obviously, from a user-experience point of view, this should be fixed, but it's not a show-stopper for me.

• PriusKaiser
    PriusKaiser Member ✭✭
    Options

Update - after reinstalling fresh copy of Quicken on my old Windows 10 PC and doing a restart all works normally now on both the old Windows 10 and new Windows 11 PCs. Problem solved for me.

• oakgrrl
    oakgrrl Member ✭✭
    Options

I had no problems in Windows 10 and it started immediately on my windows 11 device. I'm using the pause syncing workaround and saving a backup to a non-OneDrive location.

HAHAHA in the old days we backed up a file from our local device to the cloud. Now, the cloud grabs our local copy unless we hide it somewhere that the cloud can't find it.

• jcjrb
    jcjrb Member ✭✭
    Options

Patch did not work

• Thanks for your patience and your help in troubleshooting this issue.

If you have installed the updated patch and are still having the issue opening your file, can you confirm whether you have a data file password set for the file? If you don't have a data file password, please let us know. If you do have a data file password, please try removing the data file password and see if the issue continues to occur; we've seen the patch work for some users, and we suspect that a data file password (which writes to the database) is also conflicting with One Drive.

Please add your results/info here!

Thanks—

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • David J. Carlson
    Options

Removing the password allows the file to open without issue. Not a good solution but it works. I prefer to pause syncing by OneDrive.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Removing the data file password does not improve the issue. Still get pop-up window that Quicken cannot open the file.

• franks59
    franks59 Member ✭✭
    Options

It's odd, isn't it?

How does Quicken know the file is password protected without first opening it?

Must be a different problem for which there's no appropriate error message, so it defaults to "Cannot open file".

• AZAV8R
    AZAV8R Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken Kathryn - Looking through the comments on this thread, I see no mention of the following: My wife and I share this file. The file is set to keep a copy on my system as well as sync to OD. She does not have this problem at all and her config is exactly the same as mine. Don't know if this matters, but thought you might want to know.

• Tim Soule
    Tim Soule Member ✭✭
    Options

I downloaded the patch. Quicken opens for a few seconds and then I get a blank screen with error message "PLEASE CHECK INTERNET CONNECTION AND TRY AGAIN". Path is C:\Users\ts***\oneDrive\Documents\Quicken\So***.QDF

HELP!!

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I was able to open the file on the OD file share after removing the password with the patch installed, on Windows 11.

• franks59
    franks59 Member ✭✭
    Options

Removing the password did not work for me.

Some additional info:

When this problem started, about 50% of the time the file would open on the first try. Sometimes, it took three tries - on stratup failed, selecting from Recent Files failed, using Recent Files again succeeds.

After removing the password it failed to open the file 5 times in a row. Maybe it's just coincidence.

I'm thinking some of those people reporting the patch / password removal worked may find that they will re-encounter the problem after a few tries.

• franks59
    franks59 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I have also been seeing this for some time now. I really don't know when it started.

Plus, I decided to validate the file. After it completed, I got the "can't open file" message again. The validation log said there were no problems.

• fjcsr56
    fjcsr56 Member ✭✭
    Options

I did everything above but don't see a setup.exe file

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Not quite everything….finish following the directions. I just verified that setup.exe is in the Disk 1 folder.

Install the patch (https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.2.63.19MPatch.zip)you will need to unzip the file, go to the DISK1 folder, and run Setup.exe

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They aren't seeing "setup.exe" because they don't have File Explorer setup to show the extensions.

They can either change the Windows setting to show extensions or select the file named "setup" and is referred to as an application (i.e. an .exe file).

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• bmcguirk
    bmcguirk Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the OneDrive issue. I downloaded, unzipped and installed the patch as per the instructions.

No change to the issue. Upon first launch of Quicken, I was again prompted with the error "Quicken is unable to open the datafile: C\Users\username\OneDrive\Quicken\SERNAME__FRESHSTART4.QDF

Upon second launch, again, same behavior with error message above.

I have never had a datafile password set, so there was no option to remove it as suggested above.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just a thought I had. Let's say I don't have a password set on my data file. How would Quicken know that?

It seems to me, no matter if you have a password set or not for the data file, Quicken has to open the data file to check the password is either there are not. And if it is there then prompt the user for it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Matt Herndon
    Matt Herndon Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Yeah, that theory doesn't make much sense to me. I don't have a password - never have - and after the latest patch the issue is occurring 100% of the time.

• randytoad
    randytoad Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I'm using Quicken Classic (build 27.1.53.16 version R53.16). Shortly after the latest update, I started noticing that when I first open Quicken and enter my password, it fails to load my data file, and gives me a message saying that it can't open the file (no reason given). I haven't called customer support because, so far, I've found that if I simply close and reopen the program, the file loads and everything works fine. I am, of course, scared that this may not always be the case, and besides, it's just plain annoying. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there anything I can do about it.😓

• KiloPapa
    KiloPapa Member
    Options

Following up on Quicken Anja's Nov 29 post to log any issues after installing the patch.

I'm still getting exactly the same error

This is the same path I normally use.

This discussion has been closed.