R52.33 - Unable to open data file on first try - then opens after pointing to file (edit75)

Options

Answers

• KiloPapa
    KiloPapa Member
    Options

Forgot one thing…I can get the file to open if I use the backed up file, stored on a different server.

• KiloPapa
    KiloPapa Member
    Options

check that last comment…I am no longer able to open any Quicken files.

• RandyMcElroy
    Options

I'm also using Quicken Classic (build 27.1.53.16 version R53.16). I very recently purchased a new computer and started experiencing the same exact thing as you since adding Quicken to the new computer. Like you, I just close and reopen and it starts fine. I really can't add any more. Just wanted to say I have this problem. I've wondered if I might not have downloaded and or uploaded the files correctly. It seems strange that it opens fine 2 or 3 times in a row then it won't. Close, reopen, then repeat. I might add my new computer is Windows 11.

• shartel
    shartel Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

I downloaded the patch and carefully followed the instructions posted by Quicken Anja on 11/29/2023. Quicken could not open my data file afterwards. The exact path for my Quicken data file is D:\Users\steve\OneDrive\Quicken Files\2023SteveLisa.QDF.
    Quicken is installed here: D:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken.
    The version of my qw.exe file is: 27.2.63.19.
    I am running Windows 11 Home, version 22H2, OS Build 22623.891, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22637.1000.0, on a 64-bit system.
    When Quicken opens, I get a pop-up error box that says: "Quicken is unable to open the data file: D:\Users\steve\OneDrive\Quicken Files\2023SteveLisa.QDF. For assistance, contact Customer Support. Choose Help menu > Product and Customer Support."
    When I click OK, I get a 2nd pop-up error box that says: "Unable to open selected file."
    Previously when this happened, I was able to try opening the file a 2nd time and it would open. Or, I could close Quicken, open File Manager, and double-click on my Quicken data file and it would work. However, now I get the error message mentioned every time, no matter how I try to open it.

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I had previously installed the patch, and from subsequent request removed the file password. The file did open successfully once after that but since, I have the same issues with no file password and need to pause OD to open the file. If I move the file to a folder not under OD, everything works as expected, however then I am not able to share the file with my wife via OD.

• EAngueira
    Options

My Quicken program opens but it still cannot open the Quicken file unless I pause OneDrive. I applied the patch that was recently released hoping to fix this but, nope. Still the same issue.

• JL134
    JL134 Member
    Options

I am also still having the same issue. If the solution is to remove our password from our Quicken file, that is unacceptable.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JL134, the workaround is to pause OneDrive before starting Quicken.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • lluczek
    lluczek Member ✭✭
    Options

I also use OneDrive like most people and am having the same issue. I am running R53.16, Build 27.1.53.16. I have to close and restart Quicken and then it opens. Sometimes it takes a few tries. I have been backing up whenever this happens just in case. I have Validated the file twice and just tried Rebuild investing lots. I'll report this to Support in hopes that someone can have a look at this.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Everyone having this issue should use the Give Feedback link in OneDrive settings to let Microsoft know about the issue. I doubt Quicken alone can fix this and Microsoft won't give it much thought unless users complain.

• bcharette
    bcharette Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I have this recurring problem that when I try to open QDF I get an "Unable to open file…".

It happens almost every time I attempt to open the file. I have to validate the file to have any chance of opening it. I've even had to go back and do a recovery. I've been using Quicken for as long as I can remember. Never had this problem.

I went to the Quicken WEB and ended up relocation Quicken.EXE from the WEB. Didn't change anything.

[Merged Post]

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options
  • AZAV8R
    AZAV8R Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

PSA: I FOUND A WORK AROUND!

I'm not sure if anyone else posted this, but the work around is simple: pause OD sync (or pause it for 2 hours vs. total pause), use Quicken, exit, restart OD sync (or let the two hours expire) and press on. I thought about re-enabling OD as soon as I loaded the Quicken file, but with this weirdness going on, I don't know what unintended consequences that will create. Hope this helps someone else aside from me!

:)

• matschke48
    matschke48 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

[Removed - Profanity] onedrive is the problem.

I have other apps that also fail now and I still have not figured out how to get my critical data back.

I never authorized onedrive to steal all the files off my computer and hide them from the apps on my computer.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello All,

We have a new build that we'd like you to install:

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.53.22fullMPatch.EXE

Please report if there are any changes/if the issue is resolved.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I get a file not found error when attempting to download the patch from the link provided.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja

It appears the patch url is incorrect. My guess is that it should be … fullMPatch.EXE (with 2 L's in Full).

Please verify and correct.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Kathryn
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thanks, @Jim_Harman - I've updated the link: https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.53.22fullMPatch.EXE

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • franks59
    franks59 Member ✭✭
    Options

I can confirm that it works for me. I opened Quicken 5 time in a row without a problem.

However, given the patch numbering (27.1.53.22 vs 27.2.63.19) it seems the fix is to revert to an earlier version of Quicken.

Frank

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Downloaded and installed only to get this error on restarting immediately after the install.

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

After exiting Quicken, then pausing OneDrive, the file opened successfully. My file is not password protected. So, for me, this latest patch didn't work.

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

After a second attempt of stopping Quicken, resuming OD sync, the file did open with this patch installed. I was able to do so a couple of times. The Version is R53.22 build 27.1.53.22 on Windows 11.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @franks59,

Thanks for confirming! The prior patch you were using has a different numbering sequence because it was a test build.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• David J. Carlson
    Options

The latest patch (really uninstall/reinstall) did not work for me. R53.22, Build 27.1.53.22. After pausing OneDrive, it opened as expected (except I had to sign in again to Quicken)

• GregInMI
    GregInMI Member ✭✭
    Options

The update didn't help.

Here is the path to my Quicken data file: C:\Users\greg\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately this morning, the file again would not open without pausing OD with the latest patch update 😒

• Vlad Kaplan
    Vlad Kaplan Member ✭✭
    Options

It's December 6. Quicken has been upgraded to ver. 53.16 and OneDrive is now ver. 23.226.1031.0003 but the problem of the Quicken file failing to open on the launch persists. Opening the same file from the File menu in Quicken works. But after that, Quicken prompts for a sign-in before opening the password vault for the one step update. If the file opens on the launch, which happens once out of 4-5 uses, there's no prompting to sing into Quicken.

• Chris Schwark
    Chris Schwark Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I've been following this thread and notice everyone seems to have this problem with OneDrive saved Quicken files. My Quicken data file; however, is saved on my C:, not OD and I've had this problem 2-3x this week. I quickly got around this by opening the file through the prompts to open a quicken file and hasn't happened in the last few days, but this problem (even if infrequent) does not seem 100% OneDrive-based file dependent.

This discussion has been closed.