How do you uninstall the old Quicken Bill Pay?

Options

When Quicken changed from the old Quicken Bill Pay to the New Bill Manager for payments, my system left the old Quicken Bill Pay installed. This creates issues from time to time and I would simply like to get rid of it. I am fine with the New Bill Manager. The legacy system is no longer needed.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Randy W,

To help you with this issue, could you please provide more information? What kind of issues are you sometimes seeing? Are you using Bill Manager just to track reminders, or are sending payments using Quick Pay or Check Pay? What elements of the old Bill Pay are you still seeing (for instance, are you getting unwanted pop-ups or prompts)?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Randy W
    Randy W Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The issue I have is that the old Bill Pay is still active. I write physical checks using Quicken but also occasionally use Check Pay as well in the Bill Manager.

When I write physical checks the old Bill Pay is still active and wants to force an online payment which no longer works. I need to remember to uncheck this box. It also confuses me when I want to write Check Pay. Since I do it so infrequently, I have to remember to do it from the Bills & Income tab. I found myself when I posted this trying to use the old Bill Pay. Took some time just to figure out why it was not working.

I simply want to uninstall the old Bill Pay. It is no longer used and just creates confusion for me.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

What is the exact message you're getting where you have to uncheck the box? Are you able to post a screenshot of it (with any personal information blurred or obscured)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Is the payment account you used with the old Bill Pay the same account you use with the new Bill Manager? If the payment account was a different account, then I would recommend going to Tools>Account List, click the Edit button next to the account you used to use as a payment account, click on the Online Services tab, and check to make sure it is not showing enabled for bill pay.

If you see the word "Yes" in the Online Bill Pay column, then that means it is enabled and you would want to click Deactivate (in the Action column) to turn it off. Note: You will see the Bank Bill Pay option only if the account is connected by Direct Connect.

If it is the same payment account, then you may want to follow the same process as above and make sure that only the payment method you want is enabled.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Randy W
    Randy W Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You see the use Online Bill Pay from the Write Checks window.

If you go to the Online Center you will see the financial institution Quicken Bill Pay New. This is also associated with the same checking account.

But if you go to the Checking account it does not show anything other than Quicken Bill Manager being active.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RandyW - There is nothing left of the "old" Quicken Bill Pay feature. It was replaced by Quicken Bill Manager (QBM) which provides two payment options…Quick Pay and a new Check Pay (that replaced the old Quicken Bill Pay feature). Each QBM user has the option of selecting which payment method to use when setting up a bill payment (assuming the financial institution supports both methods).

It sounds like what you are referring to as the "old Quicken Bill Pay" is not really the old Quicken Bill Pay feature but is really the newer QBM Check Pay feature. And that you do not wish to use that Check Pay option and would like for it to be disabled in QBM. But you wish for Quick Pay to be kept enabled. Is my understanding correct?

I do not use QBM (neither Quick Pay nor Check Pay) so I do not know if and how the Check Pay option can be disabled. But if you can confirm whether or not my understanding is correct, then perhaps you will get a response that you will find helpful.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Randy W
    Randy W Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac - You are correct. I have referred to it consistently as the old bill pay. When I switched to the new Quicken Bill Manager, the old Quicken Bill Pay which was provided by a third party and was also part of the subscription was neither uninstalled nor disabled.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The old bill payment system was called Quicken Bill Pay and would show up like that on the Online servers tab, the new one is called Quicken Bill Manager, which from your screenshots is clearly what you have. Unless you are talking about some bill payees getting "stuck" somewhere there isn't anything to "uninstall" or disable (I think there were some complaints like this when they changed from the old to new third-party payment system). The old Quicken Bill Pay third-party service/server is long gone.

Both QuickPay and Check Pay are from the same third-party service, you can't disable just one of them.

Here is a recent thread on the newest changes which include that the service might using direct ACH transfers for QuickPay now, and a pointer to my full explanation of the different billing systems/terms.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Randy W
    Randy W Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The problem remains that the "Old Quicken Bill Pay" is still active. This causes issues as it drives checks written from the write checks window into the old online system unless you remember to uncheck the "Use Online Bill Pay". Failure to do so sends the check into the "Old Quicken Bill Pay" as a "Send Online Payment" transaction.

If you wish to use "New Check Pay", this is found by selecting "Pay (Quick Pay/Check Pay)" from the “Check #” field in an account that you have activated. It has nothing to do with the Write Checks feature.

Since I am such a long time Quicken user (more than 30 years) and still write physical checks… Shout out to CheckMagic… I actually write more physical checks and rarely use Check Pay which is why I sometimes use the wrong process. Being unable to disable the third party system seems strange to me. I had it once, got rid of it. (No "Use Online Bill Pay" checkbox.) Installed again when it was included with the subscription, and now want to get rid of since it has been replaced by Check Pay. I now wish I never installed it again for as much as I used it.

Seems to me removing it should be possible. No need in replying to this post if you cannot help me remove the Online Bill Pay checkbox from the write checks window or to delete the financial institution "Quicken Bill Pay - New" from the Online Center Window or at least to change the default from checked to not checked.

• Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

The "Use online Bill Pay" only works with Direct Connect. Change the connection method to express web connect and the "Use Online Bill Pay" should go away.

• Randy W
    Randy W Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Dennis@1… That would work if I could find the financial institution or the account "Quicken Bill Pay - New" so I could change the connection method. It is somehow hidden. (and yes… I checked in hidden accounts).

• Randy W
    Randy W Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Worked today with Nelson at Quicken Tech Support. He was able to solve it. Solution was:

1. From File Menu Select "Backup or Copy File"
    2. Under Advanced Options select "Create a copy or template"
    3. The Copy or Template window will appear. We used the default options. Date range should cover your entire Quicken Data records and all the include in copy boxes were checked.
    4. Check the location and new file name and the click Save Copy.

This creates a new copy of your quicken file. It also evidently cleans it up as well.

You will use all of your bank connections so these will need to be set up again.

You will also need to setup the Bill Manager again. I still need to confirm the micro deposits.

So far this looks like to have solved the problem.

Nelson was a pleasure to work with. Cannot say enough good things about the experience.

This discussion has been closed.