Why are the names of my account files upladed to Quicken Web even when SYNC is OFF?

Options

I do not want any information uploaded to the Quicken Web. SYNC = OFF

Nevertheless the names of my files have been uploaded. (Financial data has NOT been uploaded).

I have deleted the online accounts several times but the filenames are reloaded to the web when I open Quicken Classic on Windows.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @yetanotherdave,

Let’s try a few troubleshooting steps for this issue—these steps should resolve things for you, but if not, please come back and post more about your experience so we can investigate. 

First, backup your Quicken file.

I suggest resetting your cloud data from your Quicken desktop program and see if that may make a difference. However, before doing so, first, verify that the Dataset name and the File name match each other identically by navigating to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts (see below). 

If they do not match, please click Edit dataset name and change the Dataset name to match the File name exactly the same (do not copy the file extension: ".QDF"). 

Then, click OK in the preferences window and proceed to save a backup (just in case). From there, please follow the steps below to reset your cloud data.

1. Sign out of your Quicken Mobile/Web app(s)
    2. On your desktop program go to Edit
    3. Preferences...
    4. Mobile & Web

5. On the following screen you can leave the preselected option for "No, just reset my Cloud data", type Yes in the entry field to confirm, and click Reset
    6. Wait for the sync reset to finish
    7. Navigate to the Mobile & Web dropdown menu 
    8. Select Cloud Sync to resync your data and to make sure no errors occur
    9. Wait for it to finish syncing 
    10. Sign back in on your Quicken Mobile/Web app(s)

Once that is done, see if the issue still persists.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• yetanotherdave
    Options

I've tried the process described several times. My Quicken account file names are still listed as shown in my original post.

I have followed the procedure to the letter. It seems unreasonable to me that I am unable to manage my Quicken Cloud files when logged into the Quicken Cloud. I want to be able to select a Quicken Cloud file from the list presented to me under the Finances "tab", right click, select DELETE from a drop-down menu, be prompted 17 times to be sure I really want to do that and then have all evidence of the file removed.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It may seem unreasonable, but the only way you can delete a Quicken cloud dataset is from the Quicken Desktop.

I guess mostly it is because the Quicken Desktop data file is the "master". Every Quicken Desktop data file has a Quicken Cloud dataset associated with it. What changes when you turn on Sync to Mobile/Web is what is synced to that Quicken Cloud dataset and what is visible on the Mobile/Web apps.

But I don't see the right answer for deleting a Quicken Cloud dataset above that above. Reset will delete the Quicken Cloud dataset associated with the Quicken Desktop data file, and then reupload it. It will not touch the Quicken Cloud datasets associated with other Quicken Desktop data files.

Go into a data file that has Sync to Mobile/Web on.

And then select Edit → Preferences → Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts → Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (x)

This will bring up a dialog where you can delete the Quicken Cloud dataset as long as you aren't trying to delete the one that is associated with the Quicken Desktop data file you are in.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • yetanotherdave
    Options

Step 1: "Sync to Mobile/Web on"

Step 2: (this time I selected Sign in as a different user, re-signing in as the same user)

"Edit → Preferences → Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts → Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (x)"

Step 3: 2 accounts deleted:

"This will bring up a dialog where you can delete the Quicken Cloud dataset as long as you aren't trying to delete the one that is associated with the Quicken Desktop data file you are in."

Turn off Sync:

Fresh login to quicken.com: Account names are "gone".

Thank you!

(I'll edit this post if any account names reappear ;-)

Sync = OFF for all accounts.

• yetanotherdave
    Options

It's baacckkk!!!

I signed into Quicken Desktop, did an "update" accounts, closed Quicken Desktop, logged in to the Quicken web app. previously deleted account name has reappeared.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You deleted 2 Cloud Accounts but did not delete the Cloud Account associated with this issue? If this is the case, then you should delete that Cloud Account. To do this you will need to create a New Quicken File (under the File menu). Then follow the process about to view the Cloud Accounts and delete that file.

Before doing that I would suggest that you check again that Mobile & Web Sync = OFF. Also, on the Mobile and Web tab should look like this:

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• yetanotherdave
    Options

I have 3 accounts.

1. A test account shown as TestAgressiveSYNC. I use this account so that I can delete other web accounts.
    2. Two other "real" accounts. I successfully deleted these from the web account list.

ALL accounts have SYNC set to OFF.

After I update (One Step Update, transactions) my accounts on Desktop Quicken Premier (R52.33 Win10), the previously deleted Web accounts reappear under the Finance "tab" on the web app (browser version). NO DATA is sync'd (as desired). My objection is that the account names are SYNC'd independent of the SYNC setting.

Is this how it works for everyone? If you have an ACTIVE (recent One Step Updates completed) Desktop accounts, with SYNC = OFF, are the account names listed under the Finance tab when you login in here: https://app.quicken.com/ as shown in my first post at the beginning of this thread?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

That is the way it works for everyone. Like I said for every Quicken Desktop data file there will be a Quicken Cloud dataset. You can't change that. And yes, they will all appear in Quicken Mobile/Web. The difference between with Sync on or off is just what exactly is synced and if it is displayed on Quicken Mobile/Web when you click one the dataset name.

For instance, here is it showing my main Quicken data file/dataset which I never have Sync to Mobile/Web on:

[Edited - Obscured Personal Information in Screenshot]

The Quicken Cloud dataset is used for many of the services, including Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect +.

You might also be interested in this:

Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options

No, there should be no accounts at all shown in Quicken on the Web after you have unselected all accounts in Quicken Classic and then run sync (requires Sync = ON for this to work). That should remove all financial institutions and from Quicken on the Web. Then change to Sync = OFF and there should be no more syncs that occur anymore at all.

But I just did some testing in a TEST account and set up all accounts for sync to the Quicken on the Web. The sync worked well.

Then I unselected all accounts for sync in Quicken Classic and ran sync. This then removed all financial institutions and data from Quicken on the Web….except for one. That one was a credit card account that I had previously used and closed but had changed at some time to be held Separate in Quicken Classic.

I then went back to the accounts selection popup and a noticed a box for "Show separate accounts" and it showed that 1 of 76 accounts was Enabled.

So, I thought, Aha! I then checked the box for "Show separate accounts" but the "Show separate accounts" box and option then disappeared and the account held Separately in Quicken Classic was not available to be unselected. It also changed the number of Enabled accounts from 1-of-76 to 0-of-65 which I thought was really odd.

I then click on None and ran sync, again. It did not change anything on Quicken on the Web since that 1 Separate account was still present.

To be sure that I was not missing something, I entered a transaction into that held Separate account and ran sync, again. The amount of that Separate account updated to reflect the transaction I'd entered. (I had not yet changed Sync = OFF.)

I then changed the account to no longer be held Separately. Then I was able to unselect that previously held Separate account, run sync and Quicken on the Web then removed the data for that account.

Then I changed Sync = OFF, closed Quicken, reopened Quicken and ran OSU. Quicken on the Web did not update and still showed no accounts.

So, from my limited testing it does appear that something is amiss with syncing….at least with regard to Separately held accounts….because I could not remove that Separate account from Quicken on the Web while it was being held Separately.

Is perhaps your account in question is being held Separately in Quicken?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Let's be absolutely clear about this, these are NOT accounts, they are Quicken Cloud datasets:

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And for reference here is where the accounts would appear if they are synced:

Signature:
  • yetanotherdave
    Options

@Chris_QPW Thank you for the nomenclature clarification.

In review: My normal operating environment includes 3 Quicken Desktop *.QDF files (with multiple accounts in each). Any time I setup a web connection with a financial institution a Quicken Cloud Dataset name becomes visible on my Quicken Cloud login under the Finance tab, independent of the SYNC setting. My financial data for any *.QDF is uploaded if and only if SYNC is ON.

I will ignore the presence of Quicken Cloud Dataset names in the future. In the meantime I have messed up a number of my financial institution connections by deleting the Quicken Cloud Dataset names. Tomorrow is another day to get that all sorted out and functioning as it was before I started this exercise. 😀

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@yetanotherdave - I'm glad to hear that it looks like your concern has been adequately addressed and resolved.

@Chris_QPW - Thanks for catching the fact this issue was about Quicken Cloud Account datasets and not about individual financial accounts. My prior post was about accounts which was apparently headed down the wrong path but my finding do indicate that there might be a bug in Sync with regard to Separate accounts so not all was lost by this exercise. Now I'll report that issue so the Quicken team is made aware of it.

• yetanotherdave
    Options

I've finally reestablished all of my Quicken Direct Connect and Express Web Connect+ connections for my "primary" *.QDF file. The name of my *.QDF file appears on the app.quicken website as Cloud File, but no account data has been uploaded.

However, as I went through this process for my "secondary" *.QDF file, with SYNC = OFF, not only is the name of my "secondary" *.QDF file on the app.quicken website as a Cloud File, but 2 accounts (both Express Web Connect+ institutions that are not in my "primary" *.QDF file) within the Cloud File are list by name with account balances present. This represents more information than I expected to be visibly displayed on the Quicken cloud.

How did this happen? Why is account balance information stored and displayed on the Quicken Cloud? How do I make it "go away". Let me repeat, SYNC = OFF. At no time in this process was SYNC = ON ever set. Verified in the screen-shot below after Hello.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't prove it, because I can't remember all the possible things I might have done, but at one point I noticed that my Express Web Connect + accounts for my real (non test) data file appeared on Quicken Web (maybe even when I was checking this out). As best I remember I have never had Sync to Mobile/Web on in my real data file.

I went ahead and deleted the cloud data set and connected everything back up and didn't get them again. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with just setting up the Express Web Connect + caused this problem, but they didn't reappear when I setup again. So, I sort of dismissed it.

OK, they are BACK. I just checked, and Quicken Web is now showing all of my Express Web Connect + accounts again. So, somewhere in the process of setting up for Express Web Connect + it must "remove the blocking". Note that transactions for Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + are known to be stored in the Quicken Cloud dataset, they use the same sync to get the transactions down into Quicken (the program), what wasn't expected is that Quicken Web/Mobile would have access to these accounts/transactions.

Given that if you blow away a Quicken Cloud dataset, you are going to have to setup your online accounts again, this seems to be a never-ending loop if you are trying to avoid your Express Web Connect + transactions from appearing in Quicken Web/Mobile. The only way to break this loop with this bug would be not to use Express Web Connect +.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

BTW I might point out that we know this isn't what is intended (as in it is a bug). How?

It should be impossible, for accounts to be displayed on the left, if "you have not synced your accounts yet".

EDIT: I will also point out that this list of accounts has both Express Web Connect (Macy's, High Yield..) and Express Web Connect + accounts (Chase accounts).

Signature:
  • yetanotherdave
    Options

@Chris_QPW thanks for confirming that I was in fact stuck in an infinite-loop. I jumped of the merry-go-round. It looks like everyone that uses Express Web Connect + will have to resign themselves to transactions appearing in Quicken Web/Mobile in spite of there best efforts to prevent that from happening.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

More on this. Here I bring up the Sync option (this is my real data file):

Now I turn Sync on.

So, even though I never had Sync to Mobile/Web on something in Quicken enable 9 accounts for "syncing" as in showing up in Mobile/Web.

Clicking on the 9 of 1134 … brings up the Accounts for Mobile & Web selection dialog.

I selected at the bottom left of the dialog, and then Update Accounts.

After this update finished. I checked Quicken Web, and the accounts are gone.

I then turned off Sync in the Preferences dialog.

So, my conclusion is that you can workaround this problem, but if you ever have to reset any Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect + accounts you should check to make sure they don't get turned back on to "sync" with Mobile/Web.

Signature:
  • yetanotherdave
    yetanotherdave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Chris_QPW I did in in fact have 3 of 8 eligible enabled, I did as you said, the balance data is now "gone". THANKS!!!

(I'll let you know if it comes back, but this looks like the right answer. 😀 )

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Very interesting. SO it appears that even with SYNC=OFF account balances were synced for selected accounts. Thanks for this info.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

This discussion has been closed.