Chase - Download QFX Problems OL-221 (edit79)

Options
poetman
poetman Member ✭✭

I cannot download Chase transactions.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

more details before we try guessing

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• chojo
    chojo Member
    Options

I am also unable to download transactions for my Chase credit card. I export from Chase to a QFX file but cannot then import that file to Quicken. I've tried it using a custom date range and also the default date range. When I try to import the file to Quicken, I get an error message "Quicken is unable to complete your request. [OL-221-A]". I am not having a problem with my other accounts.

• Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same problem here, but also with American Express. One Step Update completes normally, shows 'completed' and the green dot. But when I look at my Chase and Amex accounts, the last download indicator shows two days ago (October 5th). Both are Express Web Connect. All my other accounts are Direct Connect, and are not having any problems.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @chojo,

This error is caused when the financial institution has made changes to the Quicken Files needed in order to download. Since you are experiencing this issue with a QFX file, this does mean that there is an issue with the file itself, and you will need to contact the financial institution directly to resolve this as it is the financial institution that creates and provides these QFX files.

More information on this can be found in this support article.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and let us know if you have any additional questions! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• maxstep1
    maxstep1 Member ✭✭
    Options

I disconnected from Chase and reconnected and it works ok now.

• Quicken Anja
    Options

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you got it working. 🙂

-Quicken Anja

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try and run an "Update Now" from the Chase and AmEx account registers and see if that picks up any missing transactions.
    Be sure to check One Step Update Settings to ensure that these banks are checkmarked in the list of banks to download from.

• Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Unsure if related, but I realized that the last successful download were the day I had to do a restore. So I re-authorized those accounts, and now seems to be ok. Fingers crossed.

• Budholm
    Budholm Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't wish to use One-Step Update, but do want to manually download my transactions from Chase using Quick Connect (QFX), one of the options at Chase for downloads. I download the file to my C: drive Downloads File, but when I try to open it, I get a message referencing "OL-221-A", and in the lower left corner, "OL-221-B". Both, my Windows 10 Pro X64 and my Quicken Classic Deluxe updates are current. The last time I successfully downloaded (and opened) a Chase OFX file was 10/3/23. I have checked out all the Quicken posts about OL-221-A, to no avail. The problem persists. I am getting déjà vu from the problems transitioning a couple of years back when, Quicken made all those changes to mobile accounts and aggregation.

• MarahJean
    MarahJean Member
    Options

Budholm — YES! I just had the same issue! And, get this, I have two separate logins for Chase — one for my husband's credit card and one for mine. Minutes ago, I could download and open his QFX file with no problem, but mine gets the OL-221-A error.

• gardenmeister
    Options

Budholm and MarahJean — Same here. I don't want to use One-Step Update either. It will work using that but I want to use Quick Connect (QFX) instead. Has there been any resolutions to this at all? Same error messages as yours.

• evanferg60
    evanferg60 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the exact same problem as these users via trying to download the QFX file from Chase. I get an error from Chase when I try to do this "Saying this part of our site is not working right now - please try again later" (attached screenshot). the problem started on 10/3. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Chase today and have succeeded in getting them to issue a bug ticket to their back office team. Hopefully they fix this bug on their side soon

• jackplym
    jackplym Member
    Options

I have the same problem in trying to download my Chase Credit card transactions via QFX. Any suggestions on who to call at Chase? It's a big outfit.

• dduemer
    dduemer Member
    Options

I have the same issue of error "OL-221-A" when trying to download QFX file to Quicken from Chase Credit Card account. I called Quicken on Friday 06 October. Their support told me to wait 24 to 48 hours, then try again. In my case Chase Savings and Chase Checking accounts download to quicken with no issue. However, I am not able to download Chase Credit Card account, always receive error "OL-221-A".

Monday 09 October, I tried download QFX and same issue. I called Chase Bank and spoke with three people, the last person being "technical support". OMG… he had no clue. Said it was not a Chase issue and told me that I needed to link my Chase account to Quicken.

I decided to delink the Chase Credit Card account to Quicken and then relink it. After this I was able to download the QFX successfully to Quicken. However, second and third attempts to download the file to quicken failed with the same "OL-221-A" error.

Today, 10 October I tried again to download Chase Credit Card account QFX to quicken… same "OL-221-A" error. I repeated yesterday's trial of delinking the account and relinking it. I was able to download QFX file to quicken one more time.

• drc409
    drc409 Member ✭✭
    Options

I've having identical problem; last successful download 10/4. I receive a download QFX but I now get OL-221-A error when I open. 'Can successfully download and update transactions from my other financial institutions. Running the latest version R52.28 on Windows 10 PC.

• bcrandlemire
    Options

Time to start using a different credit card. Then Chase will fix it.

• Quicken Anja
    Options

Hello @drc409,

This error is caused when the financial institution has made changes to the Quicken Files needed in order to download. Since you are experiencing this issue with a QFX file, this does mean that there is an issue with the file itself, and you will need to contact the financial institution directly to resolve this as it is the financial institution that creates and provides these QFX files.

More information on this can be found in this support article.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and let us know if you have any additional questions! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• SAMarkiewicz
    SAMarkiewicz Member ✭✭
    Options

Very helpful. I updated the QFX with the FITID and ACCTID from an older download. When I reopened it, I had to reconnect it to the current account and Quicken downloaded the transactions. At least is a band-aid fix until Chase makes their corrections.

• jscongdon
    jscongdon Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I do not have an older QFX file to compare… but with your solution, were all the "older" transaction FITIDs the same for every transaction, or are they unique to a transaction? And where does the ACCTID go? I am assuming it is under the <CCSTMTRS> element, but I would love to know for sure… also does the ACCTID match exactly to the account number? @SAMarkiewicz

EDIT: I updated to strike out the question about the unique FITIDs; I just now noted @DavePDX 's post about this. Thanks!

• SAMarkiewicz
    SAMarkiewicz Member ✭✭
    Options
    1. I found an older QFX in my downloads folder.
    2. I am not sure the FITID needs to be unique. I replaced the "0" with the FITID from the older file and it worked.
    3. ACCTID was copied under <CCACCTFROM> line
    4. Yes. The ACCTID was the exact account number.

• jscongdon
    jscongdon Member ✭✭
    Options

@SAMarkiewicz Thanks!
    Just as I was reading your comment, I remembered that the file has a spec it has to adhere to.

Basically, it states the FITID should be unique for each transaction in the Financial Institution. This assists the client (Quicken) in identifying duplicate transactions. So, if a future export were to contain transactions you've already imported, it would not duplicate it. The client then would use the Financial Institution + ACCTID + FITID to identify the transaction within the one "database" uniquely.

I hope Chase fixes it on their end soon. Also not, that the Quickbooks export is in the same format, just with a different extension - and that export is "corrupted" also

• Budholm
    Budholm Member ✭✭
    Options

The two accounts in question belong to my wife; one she uses, the other is used by a granddaughter attending college. The granddaughter has the account set up on her iPhone, and she does everything from there (she obviously doesn't need Quicken). I wonder if there is interference, since my wife is the "primary account holder" for both accounts, and she doesn't use a mobile app.

Incidentally, I tried to set up the "improved method" and it doesn't work. It gets to a window at Chase and hangs, "downloading new info", then times out and closes. Oh well, if Chase and Quicken can't get their act together and read off the same page, so we can track our expenses, just switch usage to and institution that works.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are a number of discussions here in the Community about problems with downloading QFX files for Chase Credit Card accounts.

An Alert was posted:

Personally, I would try to change from downloading QFX files from the bank's website to downloading using One Step Update. It's usually the more reliable download method.
    To do so, you will have to deactivate ALL Chase accounts using the same logonID. When done, restart Quicken and use Tools / Add Account to pretend to add new Chase accounts. During this process you may be asked to access a special authorization webpage at Chase. When you finally get to the list of accounts found at the bank, for each listed account click the Add / Link button, select Link and select the correct existing Quicken account register to link to.
    When done, there may be some cleanup required to review your registers and delete duplicate transactions, but that usually is a one-time process.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

be careful with these manual changes around the FITID tag.

That FITID tag is a unique identifier for each and every transaction.
    If a transactions appears with the exact same FITID, it will be considered a duplicated and discarded….

SO - if you are replacing the bogus entries with the same FITID -
    all except the first transaction will be discarded - in fact - if that FITID has already been used and added to the Registry,
    then even the first edited transaction will be discarded as an already existing duplicate -

<STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>CHECK
    <DTPOSTED>20190719120000[0:GMT]
    <TRNAMT>-85.00
    <FITID>201907190 —→ looks like it was using the date/time stamp + a seq number
    <CHECKNUM>6798
    <NAME>CHECK 6798
    </STMTTRN>

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• DavePDX
    DavePDX Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken Kristina, thanks. Maybe Intuit will have better luck getting action out of Chase. I've called twice now and the case I opened is "still active," but I've heard nothing back. I just dowloaded again now and the file is still corrupted. This must affect hundreds of people.

• John Patriarca
    John Patriarca Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Windows, current version/build.

Not using OSU. Downloading QFX files Chase worked fine till 2 weeks ago. Started getting OL-221-A/B errors, now nothing. Tried d/l QIF file, Q won't import. Validate completed, no issues.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There was an Alert about OL-221-A error code with Chase that was posted a few days ago: NEW 10/11/23 Chase - OL-221-A. It does not say which connection method is producing this error code but given the timing of this with your issue, maybe it is related? Bookmark the Alert (as shown in this example picture) to be kept informed of updates regarding it.

Also, there is a message on the Chase website today that they are upgrading their systems. Maybe this is causing it or is a contributing factor?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• davidsh331@gmail.com
    Options

I too cannot download Chase transactions, only I was unaware of it until today. I called Chase and I got a supervisor. I told her the problem and I held while she investigated. I overheard her mutter a sound of surprise, followed by her telling me that this was a "known issue", that they had no clue when it would be resolved, and that I could call back every "week or so" for an update. That comment alone gave away the store. Its unfortunate that Amazon's Prime card is serviced by Chase.

This discussion has been closed.