Using a .qfx file (actually QXF)

Options
agent511
agent511 Member ✭✭

I had multiple .qfx files maintained on my computer, and I am in process of merging them by exporting and importing. Everything came over and installed properly EXCEPT the "saved reports" from the exported file. Can the saved reports be exported or do I have to recreate each of them from scratch?

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have done many iterations of recreating my file and have never been able to export the saved reports unfortunately. So had to recreate them, and made good notes how I had created them to ease the process. Perhaps others will chime in here with some solution or hack.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• agent511
    agent511 Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks. I asked a related question elsewhere - I cannot re-create them using the same type of report Business:Profit and Loss as it's not the same as on my original .qfx…see two photos attached - missing "show columns"

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Based on reviewing the images you attached, it appears that the starting base of your two reports are different and that's what you need to figure out. Not just the missing column box as you identified, but also one has the "Securities" tab and the other does not, as well as differences in the Headings box, Sort by, etc. Since I have the Deluxe version I don't have access to the 'Business:Profit and Loss' reports and hence I am at a disadvantage in helping you unfortunately.

This is exactly what I was referring to when I wrote that I take notes on how I create a report to ease the process - I write down which base report I started with.

• agent511
    agent511 Member ✭✭
    Options

I understand your answer and you are correct. But my follow-up question is this - I cannot figure out (using the original .qfx file) HOW I created those reports 10 years ago. When I go to business: Profit and loss, it has the same parameters as the report I am trying to avoid. I cannot figure out how to make a new report on the old database and getting to the same image as I showed you. Since I made it so long ago on a very old version of Quicken, the answer may be that the report has changed over the years, and that report I am using is no longer available. I can take a usable report, and change some of the categories and save as a new report - but that only works on the old database.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your Snowmass 2024 customization screen appears to me to have the character of a Banking Transaction Report. Maybe that was your prior starting point.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It would look at the original file and try every relevant base report to see which one comes with the same parameters. It appears that you already did that. Perhaps some of the long time Superusers can shed further light into this? Calling out @UKR @Rocket J Squirrel @Boatnmaniac @NotACPA and anyone to just name a few, hoping that this gets their attention.

• agent511
    agent511 Member ✭✭
    Options

q-lurker - I think you nailed it! I believe you are correct. Thanks all for your help!

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

thanks. I asked a related question elsewhere

Such duplication like this is discouraged simply because it breaks up thought patterns and leads to unnecessary duplication. One conversation tends not to know what is taking place in the other. It is preferable to keep one issue in one place.

Glad you're making progress.

• agent511
    agent511 Member ✭✭
    Options

The original question here was unrelated…"Can the saved reports be exported or do I have to recreate each of them from scratch?" and the answer became "no". So I then segued into this further question, which q_lurker very helpfully answered. The other similar-time post "show columns in P&L report" was different than the original question here so I thought, and actually never got an answer. So I have to say, that I only got your wonderful answer by continuing the conversation on this post.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not trying to be an a__h__ about this and I am not going to chase down the timing. I offered my observation not knowing what other comments had already been offered to you. Frequently, that can become confusing. I could have (should have) looked up where else you had posted the second question. That's on me. Very likely as I moved on, I would have seen your other post and still responded — just a bit later. Just suggesting that next time posting a link to your follow-up or other topic is a better choice over duplicating the question.

• agent511
    agent511 Member ✭✭
    Options

I appreciate you help, and I will be more careful in the future. Be well and thanks

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

do you mean the Quicken QDF data files -
    or do you really mean the markup files in the QFX format - usually associated with downloading or exporting ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a bit of confusion in this thread.

First off you can't export a .qfx file. A .qfx file is "import only". It is the "Web Connect" format for downloading transactions from the financial institution.

What was meant is a .qxf file. This is the file that will export of a .qdf file in a format that can be imported into another .qdf file or into Quicken Mac (which what it was originally designed for). (yes, very easy to mix up the two formats)

And I will say that the export/import leaves a LOT more behind than just the saved reports, like scheduled reminders, Home page views, budgets, … What's more, in a lot of cases it doesn't correctly handle investment accounts. And if one is using any of the business functions, I expect invoices and other such things not to transfer or not to be done 100% correct.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • agent511
    agent511 Member ✭✭
    Options

I would have closed this thread if that function was available. I have received my answers I needed. Sorry for 'confusion in this thread.' I am not as versed as you are, but you even created your own confusion. You said "First off you can't export a .qxf file"… Then a sentence later you said "What is meant is a .qxf file"…so if that isn't confusing, I don't know what is. Secondly If you go to File: File export:…the second choice is "Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File". So why would you say "you can't export a .qxf file" when that is exactly what you can export? Yeah, you are right. Lot's of confusion. In Facebook, you can close a post when it is done.

I did learn from you that a lot is left behind besides saved reports. Luckily I don't think any of those items is pertinent to me.

My story: I was running three separate databases on one computer - two businesses and a personal database. Doing this for over 25 years. I decided to combine them. I did the easier one first, following instructions from an old post here. The only issue I had was with the saved reports, and now I can recreate them.

Some day soon, I will do the harder one. There are banks in common with different accounts on each of these databases, and quicken was having a lot of trouble doing the One Step Updates properly, and I was constantly resetting accounts. Hopefully combining the DBFs into one will bring me peace.

I hope you do not take my comments the wrong way. You sound like an excellent resource, and I suspect I could use more help in the future. I will save your website URL. Be well.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@agent511

You need to reread this entire post. There are .QFX (X at the end) and .QXF (X in the middle) files used by Quicken. You didn't even quote Chris_QPW correctly, he stated "First off you can't export a .qfx file." (copy/paste from his post) (notice X at the end), but your quoted him as stating " You said "First off you can't export a .qxf file"… " (copy/paste from your post) (notice X in the middle).

There was nothing incorrect in what Chris_QPW stated, you just misread the .QFX and .QXF file extensions.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• agent511
    agent511 Member ✭✭
    Options

ok thanks. Wow that is crazy confusing. So Quicken has .QFX files and they have .QXF files. Even reading and criticizing (incorrectly) mister Chris, I still missed that distinction!

This discussion has been closed.