Quicken for Mac

jjrichards
jjrichards Member ✭✭✭

I currently run Quicken Premier on a Win 10 Microsoft Laptop and considering purchasing a Mac Air . Understand I would need to purchase Quicken for Mac . My questions

1. Has anyone converted recently from Quicken for Windows to Mac ?
  2. Understand Quicken for Windows far superior , however according to Quicken have made great strides improving .
  3. Anyone having issues converting ?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

You don't have to purchase Quicken Mac, it is included in your subscription.

#1 Tons of people have done the conversion. I will leave it to the Quicken Mac experts to explain some of the pitfalls.

#2 Quicken Windows is only superior in the sense that it has more features (some of which don't work right). Quicken Mac on the other hand is based on a much newer code base and in some ways is superior to Quicken Windows.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • smayer97
    smayer97 Quicken Mac Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

Yes, "superior" in part is based on, does it have the features you rely on, and does it work the way that works for you.

If you are heavily vested in features in QWin, like tracking of complex or involved investments, retirement planning, multi-currency tracking and reports, etc., etc., then QWin is "superior".

Note that conversion to QMac is very successful for the most part. Conversion back to QWin has recently been improved (it finally includes converting investment data) but there have not been a lot of reports shared of how well it works.

Note that since the databases are different, data will be lost. Whether that data is important is what matters. What will definitely be lost are things like saved reports and reminders, currency conversion (in part), as examples.

So, the key is to spend time with the QMac product and see if it does enough (or all) of what you need, recognizing that there are differences.

Here might be a starting point (a little out of date but most is still relevant):

List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭✭

smayer:

Thank you for your comments. To try out QMac version I suppose I would have to purchase Mac Air , then download the Mac version from my prescription ?

Jeff

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Yes. If you're not certain about purchasing a Mac, you might try looking for a place which will rent you a used Mac for a month so you can play with it.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.