Totals don't match

Options

So I have charges that total up to be 1595.27. I have checked it myself with a calculator. This total is correct.

However, when Quicken moves this charge total over to the "cleared balance," the amount changes to 1274.51 (pic 1 attached). I can't figure out why. There are no credits other than the usual pay in full credit from the previous statement.

It would seem that a charge is being doubled (320.76), but it's not. As I stated above, I did the math with a separate calculator and the 1595.27 total is right. Which leads me to think it's a Quicken error. Quicken suggests I fix this by doing a balance adjustment of 320.76. As you can see from pic 2 (attached), the "new" charge total is 1916.03 and when moved to the cleared balance, it shows 1595.27. WTH ?

Help, please.

Tagged:

Answers

• harryrwood
    harryrwood Member ✭✭
    Options

Update - I just did a 2nd CC account. Same thing happened there too. The total charges didn't match the cleared balance.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @harryrwood,

To assist with this issue, could you please provide more information? Which financial institutution(s) are these accounts with? When you do the reconcile, are you comparing to the statement balance or to the online balance?

I can see that the amount is off by the amount of the balance adjustment from 17 November. What caused that balance adjustment to be added to your register?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

However, when Quicken moves this charge total over to the "cleared balance,"

The clear balance isn't "moved". It is calculated from the Reconciled and cleared transactions. And note that includes reconciled transactions past the ending date for the reconcile.

You need to figure out why that total is wrong.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

IMHO, Balance Adjustments should never be entered in most circumstances. They are an strong indication that something is wrong with the transactions in the register. It is far better to find out why the Balance Adjustment is suggested and correct it. Entering Balance Adjustments without identifying the cause and correction can often result in future account balancing issues.

I noticed that the $320.76 Balance Adjustment on 11/17 is the exact same amount as the purchase from Wayfair on 11/12. Coincidence? Maybe but it is very suspicious so I would spend some time looking into that more closely….perhaps even looking for a duplicate transaction that was entered as credit instead of a debit?

Was your previous reconciliation correct? If so, that a pretty good indication that whatever the cause is of this issue occurred since then.

Did you previously enter other Balance Adjustments that are now reconciled? That could also be the source of this issue. If you did, you might want to back up your data file and delete them. That might resolve the issue. If not, you can restore the backup file if you wish.

Since your last good reconciliation: Did you do something that changed the OSU connection method of this account (such as Reset Account, Deactivate/Reactivate, Reauthorize, Improve Connection, Fix Connection, etc.)? Changing the connection method has been known to sometimes cause transaction issues that can then drive Quicken to recommend Balance Adjustments to be entered into the register. Examples include (be sure to back up your data file before proceeding with any of the following):

• Opening Balance transaction dollar amount was changed. Often the easiest way to determine this is to restore an older backup file from before when this issue started and compare that Opening Balance transaction amount to what is shown in your current active data file. Otherwise, you might need to go back to a previous statement that includes that Opening Balance transaction date. If the Opening Balance dollar amount was changed, it needs to be corrected. (NOTE: Once the correction has been made or if it is determined that the Opening Balance is correct, enter and save that correct dollar amount into the Memo field. It will make it really easy in the future to know when the Opening Balance dollar amount might have been changed.)
    • Scroll through your register looking for duplicate transactions. Look at both credits and debits. Duplicates will need to be manually deleted.
    • Look for a 2nd Opening Balance transaction with a different date and different dollar amount than the Opening Balance transaction you know to be correct. If found, delete it.

Well, these are things that came to mind of things that I would do if I saw this issue. Hopefully you will find something in here that will help you identify and resolve the issue.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• harryrwood
    harryrwood Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina — this was with American Express. I compare to the statement balance always. So I never use any transactions beyond the closing date. What caused the balance adjustment? I have no idea. When I say I'm done, Quicken offers the balance adjustment. I don't know why the amounts don't match-they should. As I said, I've already added them up myself and it matches what AE statement said.

@Chris_QPW — I get that. However, there are no other transactions to reconcile, etc. (including those beyond the statement ending date). I'm trying to figure out why it's wrong and cannot figure it out. That's why I think it's a bug in Quicken.

@Boatnmaniac — you said "I noticed that the $320.76 Balance Adjustment on 11/17 is the exact same amount as the purchase from Wayfair on 11/12. Coincidence? Maybe but it is very suspicious so I would spend some time looking into that more closely….perhaps even looking for a duplicate transaction that was entered as credit instead of a debit?" I have done this already and that did not resolve the issue. Balances are correct, etc. I have done all this and cannot find a solution. This is why I've come here - I think there's a Quicken bug.

To all of you, thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it. Will keep at it.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Take a backup

Delete that "Balance Adjustment"

NOW can you reconcile the account?

(you can always restore from that backup if necessary).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@harryrwood -

@Boatnmaniac — you said "I noticed that the $320.76 Balance Adjustment on 11/17 is the exact same amount as the purchase from Wayfair on 11/12. Coincidence? Maybe but it is very suspicious so I would spend some time looking into that more closely….perhaps even looking for a duplicate
    transaction that was entered as credit instead of a debit?" I have done this already and that did not resolve the issue. Balances are correct,
    etc. I have done all this and cannot find a solution. This is why I've come here - I think there's a Quicken bug.

That is just one of the things I suggested you look into. What about the other things I'd mentioned?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.