R52.33 - Unable to open data file on first try - then opens after pointing to file (edit75)

Options
Brian Kirkland
Brian Kirkland Member ✭✭✭

Every time I try to open my data file, I enter the password, and then get a message that Quicken is unable to open the data file. Then, I go into "File" and open it from there. I enter the password, it opens successfully, then it's asking me to re-log into my quicken account. This just started happening after the last update. It's annoying. I have done the verify and repair several times and it lasts for a part of a day. Then, the same thing happens again and again. This needs to be fixed.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. We request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached, the full file path of the affected Quicken file, and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

(Ticket# 10543348/CTP-7982)

Quicken Kristina

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

We would like to try some troubleshooting steps to see if this resolves the issue. Please follow the instructions below.

1. Close Quicken
    2. Restart the system
    3. Don’t pause or do anything to One Drive
    4. Install the patch (https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.2.63.19MPatch.zip)you will need to unzip the file, go to the DISK1 folder, and run Setup.exe
    5. Open Quicken after the patch is installed.  Quicken should open as expected.
    6. Close and re-open Quicken.  Quicken should open as expected.

If Quicken doesn’t open as expected, please come back and report the file path (where it’s stored) and if there were any changes to the prior issue that was occurring (opens the first time, but not the second, vice versa, etc.)

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Brian Kirkland,

To help you troubleshoot this issue, first, I need more information. When did the issue first start? How are you opening Quicken (opening program directly from the task bar or desktop shortcut, clicking on the specific file you're trying to open, etc)? When you open the file by going to the File menu option, what option are you using to open the file (File>Open Quicken File, or are you going to the list of most recently accessed files near the bottom of the menu, or using a different option)? Do you keep the Quicken file directly on your C drive, or is it on a shared network drive? Is the file synced with any cloud service?

You mentioned that a Validate and Repair seems to temporarily correct the issue. Have you tried running a Super Validate on your file? If not, you can do so by following these steps:

Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Brian Kirkland
    Options

I use the list of the most recently accessed and ask it to open that same file again and it works. Super Validate didn't do anything. Same issue one minute later.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is it possible that MS OneDrive is interfering with Quicken operations, to create a backup of the Quicken data file?
    On some newer systems, MS OneDrive is always active in the background, even if the user doesn't know about it and does not use OneDrive for backups.

What is the complete path name and file name of your active Quicken data file?
    By default, it should be C:\Users\_your_username\Documents\Quicken\…

MS OneDrive and/or any other cloud backup software must NOT access the active Quicken data file while Quicken is running.

• Brian Kirkland
    Options

OneDrive is turned off and it still does it. The file has been in the same place for over ten years. That's never been an issue.

• Brian Kirkland
    Options

I have two files. One is on OneDrive and the other is not. Both are having the same issue since that update. And, with the latest update yesterday, now it's taking three times!!!

• jmarks38
    jmarks38 Member
    Options

I have same issue Click OK twice, go to File > Open Quicken File, select the file I use, and it opens.. Super Validate did not fix. I can live with it but should not have to.

• mdfurg_13
    mdfurg_13 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue, after upgrading to R52.33 Build 27.1.52.33

• SCbaby
    SCbaby Member
    Options

Same here after "upgrading" to the new Basic. Cannot open on launch, cannot open by double-click data file, but can open from Quicken once program is running.

I believe related to onedrive. Moved QBW file to a folder with spaces in path and also ones with a hyphen in path to and it open fine when double-clicking file. But under onedrive synced folder it gives same error, even when fully synced.

QUIT onedrive sync apps and was able to open file upon launch as well as double clicking

• Quick N. Dirty
    Options

I'm also having this issue which appeared after the last update. I'm sure you're all concerned for me. :-)

• Ron Erickson
    Ron Erickson Member ✭✭
    Options

I have mostly the same issue. First try at opening Quicken from taskbar link i get the cant open message. Close out and try a second time from same link and it opens. I do have my files on Onedrive but have never had this problem til this last update. Im sure its related.

• BlueKestrel
    Options

I am a 10+ experienced Quicken & tech user, and am experiencing the same error. Moved the data file to the desktop, and got it to open once. Can't get into it again.

The solution offered by QUICKEN SUPPORT doesn't stick. Since this just happened after an update, seems like it's a bug in the new version.

QUICKEN SUPPORT: Please help!

• Granapple
    Granapple Member ✭✭
    Options

I absolutley am having the same problem and its annoying and stressful. Got a hold of support. He got it open for me but next day same exact thing. I can't seem to figure out how to open it at all, I just keep getting errors.

• jayjay89
    jayjay89 Member
    Options

Same problem here. Also, once I get it running from the backup on my computer, it won't update my accounts. It says I have to renew my subscription which was paid annually this past March so not due. When I look at my Quicken account it correctly shows paid through March 2024. All this since last update. Not happy.

• Granapple
    Granapple Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok got the file open had to relog in then went to one step update and its frozen.

• JwBusy
    JwBusy Member ✭✭
    Options

There is definitely a problem all of a sudden and it has nothing to do with Validating and Repairing the actual Quicken file.

It is either related to a OneDrive update or a Quicken update. Once the file is in the OneDrive path Quicken is no longer able to open it correctly. This has worked for years as others have stated.

I was able to get around it for now by copying the file outside of the OneDrive path.

• John Dahlgren
    John Dahlgren Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm had the same issue entering pw and receiving the pw error. After several attempts I was successful at opening the file and was able to "update now".

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

FWIW, Quicken has never supported storing the active Quicken data file in a cloud drive folder due to the possibly of corruption which may go unnoticed until it's too late.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

Quicken Kristina

• mwp
    mwp Member
    Options

I just did the update and now I cannot open my data file even after rebooting my computer.

• mwp
    mwp Member
    Options

And now it works although I did nothing.

• lisapr
    lisapr Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

The first two times I tried to open Quicken, I receive msg: Quicken is unable to open the data file. then, it gives the location of the file. I have not moved or changed the file. I tried to log in for a third time and was able to access. I've validated the file. Any other advice?

[Merged Post]

• sailor22
    sailor22 Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue. I saved my files on OneDrive. I Unlinked my computer from One Drive and problem went away.

• michaelrhodes1954
    Options

I'll join in … me too!

• Kerry/Jacque
    Options

I have the same issue since the last update. My Quicken folder, following that path, is empty.

• cmart0229
    cmart0229 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I too am receiving the message unable to 'open file' on the first try. Rebooted then went to File menu, selected the first file and was able to open the most recent file which is the OneDrive path. I closed down and tried again; this time selecting the path on C Drive. That file was the second in the most recent used file list. Received message: 'Quicken cannot open the file you selected. The file may be deleted or the location might have changed. Do you want us to remove the file from the most recently used file list? Yes/No?' I have changed nothing in years using Quicken. Everything has been working just fine. I am on Version R52.33, Build 27.1.52.33.

I answered No to the removal question but now don't know what to do going forward. When I look at the file attributes of the files on C and OneDrive they are exactly the same. Is my C path file corrupted? The OneDrive path file looks fine and when open shows syncing with C path file.

When I tried to use One Step Update, it asked me for my Quicken UserId and password as if I was a new user. This is crazy. Everything was working fine. I have changed nothing and now everything is not working fine.

Update: I tried one more thing. I shut everything down and then clicked on the Qdata file on my C drive. Quicken opened, asked me for my password, then I rec'd message 'unable to open data file C:\Users\myusername\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\Qdata.QDF' despite the fact that I clicked on the C drive path that was not OneDrive.

What do I go from here? Is it possible to undo upgrade. Please advise on next steps.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

@Kerry/Jacque, what is the full path to your active Quicken data file?

• Ron-Pam Hallenbeck
    Options

Having all the problems mentioned above and now CANNOT even open Quicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very long time user and now and this is maddening.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

@Ron-Pam Hallenbeck, what is the full path to your active Quicken data file?

• poetman
    poetman Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Quicken cannot open my data file

[Merged Post]

This discussion has been closed.