R52.33 - Unable to open data file on first try - then opens after pointing to file (edit75)

Options

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

you can back up any file, (including your Quicken file or Quicken backups), by placing it in the Dropbox folder

Never open your data file or backup file directly from Dropbox.  Always move the file to your desktop computer, then open it, to prevent file damage.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Due to a totally Quicken unrelated issue, I noticed that Onedrive was not running in the system tray. Rebooting my PC resolved it and the MS Excel issue. But, subsequently, a Quicken data file would not load. I successfully loaded another Qucken data file, and then the original file loaded. I think Onedrive servers had a recent issue.

If your data file is in a Onedrive path, make sure that Onedrive is running in the system tray. Alternately, move the Quicken data file(s) out of a Onedrive path.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. We request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached, the full file path of the affected Quicken file, and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

(Ticket# 10543348/CTP-7982)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MarkCC
    MarkCC Member
    Options

I also have had issues with opening the data file since the "upgrade" to Quicken Classic. I am currently waiting for my OneDrive to sync because I think there's a conflict when Quicken and OneDrive both access the same file simultaneously.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@cmart0229

It states "you can back up any file", notice the words "back up". The issue with the cloud services is that they mirror folders on your local computer to space in the "cloud". But they get in the way sometimes, like when you do a Quicken Backup and Quicken closes the file to make the backup and the cloud service grabs it to do its "mirroring" and prevents Quicken from reopening the data file.

If you disable the cloud service before starting Quicken and restart it after you quit, there is nothing wrong with that process.

But the topic of this thread is not the use of cloud services, it is about Quicken not opening a data file when it should at startup and since users with and without cloud services for backup are having the issue discussing this further is off topic.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• gsrr
    gsrr Member ✭✭
    Options

Same here . Latest update caused all sorts of problems. I had to resync 3 accounts that go through webexpress. and log ito Intuit to run one step update.

• DHori
    DHori Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Did not make any changes to my configuration. Get error message when trying to launch. Cannot open file. The QDF file is from a later version of Quicken. Using version R52.33.

[Merged Post]

• AFMclean
    AFMclean Member
    Options

Also having this issue with failure to open my primary data file after the recent update. Using the desktop version of quicken classic premier on windows home 11. Tried restart without success, then restored my most recent backup. The backup file opened. Tried to close and reopen the backup, but got the same error message. After finding this thread and seeing what others had done, I clicked through the error messages and managed to get my primary file open via the file menu. I was also prompted for user id and pw as if a new user. Thankfully, my file appeared to be unaffected by me messing around with my backup file, which was a few weeks old. So did a fresh backup and plan to just leave quicken and the file open for the time being. Hopefully Quicken will respond promptly with an update to correct the problem.

• Nemleu
    Nemleu Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken acknowledged the problem started after the last update. Like most of you have said, Quicken had me move from the Cloud to my C Drive. Everything was working fine when I got off the phone, but the next day the same thing happened. The only workaround for me is using a backup file. Before I close out, I make sure to make another backup and repeat the process every time I use Quicken. Very frustrating.

Quicken: Can you update us on a patch?

• Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Same problem for me after updating to build 27.1.5233 on R52.33. Quicken should now have more than enough evidence of an issue to fix it. Hard to imagine how this didn't get identified during testing before the release.

• dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I really don't want to hear lectures or finger-pointing about OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. The point is this has been working just fine for years, now it's not. Please devote more resources to making this product work properly and maybe a little less attention to new logos and branding.

• John Dahlgren
    John Dahlgren Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Interestingly, similar to Brian Kirkland October 10/14 response (currently a "Best" response) ; going to "File" and selecting your Quicken file to open from there and entering my pw, I will sometimes still get the password error. If I simply click "OK" (without reentering the pw), Quicken will open. If it doesn't open on that next try, try hitting "OK" multiple times.

FYI - I continue to have my file on OneDrive

• howardkellogg
    howardkellogg Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same issue. And when the data file begins to open I am asked to log in to my online Quicken account. I've not ever had this problem before.

• jasonpbyu
    jasonpbyu Member ✭✭
    Options

This is marked "answered"? It is still happening. Interesting once they make it "classic", it starts breaking. This their way to sunset it and move everyone to the online version? Not a fan of the online version at all.

I get this error every 2 or 3 times I open. I close the errors and relaunch and it works just fine.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jasonpbyu, FWIW, when a question is marked "Answered", it simply means that someone has posted a reply.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, it means a bit more than that. It means that the original poster or a moderator has marked a posted as "Answered", and that post(s) will be pinned to the beginning of the thread. But the key takeaway is it is "answered" no one said anything about "solved".

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, it can be both. There are two different "Answered" tags I see.

Without a checkmark, Answered simply means the post was entered as a Question and someone posted a response as @Greg_the_Geek wrote.

On the other hand:

Answered with a checkmark as applicable to this discussion means as @Chris_QPW wrote that someone deemed that a specific reply did "Answer" the question and thus that reply became identified as a "Best Answer". Superusers also have the ability to credit a reply with that status. Still within the context of this discussion, identifying the two posts from Quicken Kristina as "Best Answers" is really more to bring them to attention of new readers so those instructions can be more easily found.

• WBajwa
    WBajwa Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken R52.33 (27.1.52.33) fails to open the data file on the first try but opens the same file on the 2nd attempt. The file has been "Super Validated," and Super Validation found no errors.

• BobBrown
    BobBrown Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have been having this same problem for the past week. Quicken needs to solve this problem because I am losing confidence in application, again! [Edited - Readability]

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

According to this Alert, there is a conflict between Quicken and a new version of OneDrive. Recent versions of Windows enable OneDrive by default for all files in your Documents folder, including the Quicken directory.

Please let us know if moving your file outside of the Documents path or pausing OneDrive before starting Quicken resolves this issue for you. If you move the file using Windows Explorer, you must double click on it in the new location the first time you open it, so Quicken knows which file to open.

QWin Premier subscription
  • cmart0229
    cmart0229 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman

FYI: I just tested the pausing of OneDrive before starting Quicken and the file opened as normal. I only had to enter my data file password upon starting Quicken. I shut down Quicken after backing up my data file; restarted syncing in OneDrive; waited to allow sync to complete; then started Quicken again and the issue reappeared. I clicked through the two message boxes, opened the file from the File dropdown menu and had to reenter my data file password. The data changes I entered while OneDrive sync was paused were there.

The path for my data file is C:\Users\myusername\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\Qdata. Even if I pause OneDrive and double click on the qdata file in the Documents path without OneDrive in it, Quicken opens the qdata file that exists in the OneDrive path.

• JrandyB
    JrandyB Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been having this same problem for at least a week now, maybe longer. I have a workaround. What I have been doing; open a different Quicken file, that does not have a password, then I close it and open the password-protected file, which seems to work. And yes I am using OneDrive which seems to have taken over the whole computer.

• David J. Carlson
    Options

That works for me except I do not even need to close the other file, just open my password-protected one after I open the other file (which of course closes the first file). I keep experimenting to find other workarounds. It is a very strange problem.

• godschild137
    Options

I have the same problem after the latest update.

• Amy
    Amy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

When I close my Quicken File, I wait for it to Sync to OneDrive. Long after the sync is complete, I try to open the Quicken file and I get an error message that the File can not be opened and to contact support. I am NOT getting a message that it is in use by another process.

I have to restore from a backup to get the file open.

I just recently got Microsoft 360 and setup my files to sync to onedrive

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Amy and others, try this:

1. Exit Quicken if it is running.
    2. Hover your mouse over the OneDrive cloud icon in your System Tray and wait for the popup to say Up to date. This may take some time, be patient. The icon may be in the overflow area, accessed by clicking on the up arrow at the left of the System Tray.
    3. Right click on the icon and select Pause syncing. Choose a time longer than you will be using Quicken.
    4. Restart Quicken.
    5. Exit Quicken when you are done.

Does it work normally now?

QWin Premier subscription
  • RandallG
    RandallG Member
    Options

I am having the same issue. I can confirm as with the rest of the posts that it started happening after the most recent update. Validation and verifying did nothing. Please correct, this is annoying and shouldn't happen with a paid subscription.

• Craige_Murray
    Craige_Murray Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue too but it happened BEFORE the update that included the new Quicken Classic logo. Maybe a few weeks before that.

The "Pause OneDrive Syncing" workaround seems to work.

Hope Quicken will get this resolved soon…

This discussion has been closed.