R52.33 - Unable to open data file on first try - then opens after pointing to file (edit75)

1789101113»

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it needs to be installed on all the machines affected.

I will note that I'm monitoring that other thread, and this patch seems to be fixing it for "most people", but there are a few people that it isn't working for. They seem to be ones that have a password on their data file (There are people that have passwords on their data file and it is working, so it is still on clear of what is going on).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • James Squire
    James Squire Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

As I stated I did try the new patch as well and it still did not work, although once I got past that error message, I was able to manually open it and do what I needed to do. I do have a password on my file, but I would like to keep it there. If you are simply wanting me to test it without a password to see what happens, I suppose I can do that, but I do not want to run without a password for real.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@James Squire

If you want to continue using your password while Quicken resolves this problem, you can always pause OneDrive before starting Quicken. Right click on the cloud icon in the System Tray and select Pause Syncing.

But I'm sure it would be helpful to the Quicken developers who are working to sort out this problem to learn whether the R53.24 patch works for you if you remove your password. Any single change that makes the difference between "doesn't work" and "works" is valuable debugging information. Please report your results here and directly to Quicken using the Help > Report a Problem link.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello All,

The release of patch 53.26 is expected to resolve this issue. The patch is currently in staged release. It may be available in your Quicken program, by going to Help>Check for Updates, if you aren't automatically prompted to update. If it hasn't been pushed to you yet, or you prefer manual installation, you can get the patch by going to the Quicken for Windows Manual Patch Update article and following the instructions.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Got this update today and so far it is working. It simply seems to add some delays to the launching of quicken, so the program takes longer to load than before, but no errors even with my password protected file.

• Chris_QPW

From what I see, it is more complicated than that. I do believe that their first attempts were just adding more time, but this newest release seems to be "adding time when needed" plus a few things that people won't normally see. In other words, if Quicken detects OneDrive (or any program) messing with its data file, it will in turn "wait" for it to stop doing that, instead of just throwing an error.

If you pause OneDrive or take it out of OneDrive you should find that there isn't any delay in comparison to before when Microsoft made this changed to OneDrive.

Signature:
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Yeah not implying that it is blind timers, it is checking/interacting with onedrive (or at least just detecting that something else is accessing the file, and waiting). Several launches of quicken each had different times (the delay seems to be after putting in your password, which is apparently when quicken releases the lock on the file for a bit) but pausing onedrive still results in the fastest launch.

What I'm saying though is that rather than fixing the fact that quicken for some reason releases the file when you're prompted to put in your password, they instead just added semi-intelligent delays. Same thing we were able to do by waiting at the password screen for a bit before putting in the password. Wonder if they also added that intelligence to file copy/validate operations etc.

If the delay becomes too frequent or annoying I'll go back to using my batch file. The only ill effect of that batch file is that exiting and restarting onedrive messes up explorer integration until you restart. I.e. if you right click a file "view online" and "version history" are greyed out. However you can access these features from within onedrive itself just fine so not a huge deal.

Before this all started, onedrive definitely only saved one "version" each time I exited quicken. We'll see with this new fix whether it saves two, one from the pause and one when you exit. If so, that's another reason I might go back to the batch file. Hard to tell, looking at my version history I do see a couple close together, and I think that was one of the times it took longer to launch. Then another time just one version. Will have to observe over the next few days.

• Chris_QPW

@Drinkingbird frankly I'm not sure if I agree with Quicken Inc's approach to all of this. I really believe that what they should have done is pushed back and told the users that it has always been the policy not to store data file in the cloud folder. Which the very fact that they didn't take the extra steps at the beginning years ago and detect/warn the user's that was the policy was a major failure on their part.

Instead trying to please all these people they have used a huge amount of development time trying to work around what was clearly a change by Microsoft that was "already seen to be coming someday" years ago.

Have they put this work around in all the place where Quicken closes/opens the data file?

I doubt it. So, I fully expect this to come up in those situations in the years that follow.

And yes, this is a hack, using "intelligent waiting", but Quicken I'm pretty sure that Quicken developers can't "really fix" this in all of Quicken any more than they can "change databases for a modern one".

BTW the "few extra" things that most people won't see is that based on my testing, they have either completely removed one of these open/closes during start up or made it an extremely small amount of time.

Signature:
  • markus1957
    markus1957 Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

One Quicken OSU session generated 30 versions of _Synclog.dat and 9 versions of OFXlog.dat in OneDrive. The QDF appeared to keep OneDrive at bay with OneDrive spawning a Sync Issue warning and only generating 1 version of the QDF. There was a mystery file syncing for a while and then it just disappeared with no record in the history.

• dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭

The manual patch worked for me for two days on two machines using OneDrive. After the update this morning (53.26) the problem returned.

• riverguy
    riverguy Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I moved my Quicken out of Onedrive a while back but kept the backup folder in Onedrive. Working perfect. Starts better than it had for a long time. When I exit it automatically syncs in the backup folder. For a long time I thought it was starting slow because my file goes back many years but I guess it was the Onedrive causing it.

• bcharette
    bcharette Member ✭✭

I just updated to the most recent build 27.1.53.26 and the problem seems to have gone away. I have returned to the app 3-4 times (after making changes and it works fine. I think the new build fixed the problem. Quite a ccoincidence.

• bcharette
    bcharette Member ✭✭

thanks everyone!!

• eelton
    eelton Member

I have the same issue, on Windows 11. The "unable to open selected file" message is continually showing up, but if I manually open the file, it always works.

• MichaelG
    MichaelG Member ✭✭

Also updated to the latest build and still have the problem.

This discussion has been closed.