R52.33 - Unable to open data file on first try - then opens after pointing to file (edit75)

Options

Answers

• franks59
    franks59 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones using OneDrive.

With the patch I installed Tuesday ( 27.1.53.22 ), I was able to repeatedly ( 7 times ) open my Quicken files without error. After seeing that others were still having problems, I tried it again today and was still able to open it 5 times in a row without error.

Frank

• jsattenspiel
    jsattenspiel Member ✭✭
    Options

Just installed the newly posted patch and on my system it works as advertised. It does seem that startup is a bit slower, but I can live with that.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

Our teams have released another patch to install: https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.53.24fullMPatch.EXE

If this patch does not resolve the issue after installing, we ask that you please provide the following information below:
    1. Do you have a data file password?
    2. If you receive an error when opening your data file, please observe the timing of the error; is it immediate, does it take 3 seconds, or is it more like 10 seconds?
    3. What is the size of the data file?
    4. Do you have an ssd or rotating storage drive?
    5. Please submit log files by navigating to Help > Report a problem so we can see error

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Michael R Massa
    Options

re-install worked. Thank you.

• David J. Carlson
    David J. Carlson Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

re-installed with 52.24 version and Quicken no longer requires me to pause OneDrive before opening. Thanks.

• franks59
    franks59 Member ✭✭
    Options

Both this patch (27.1.53.24) and the previous one (27.1.53.22) work for me.

I was able to open my file at least 5 times in a row without error.

Frank

• Jono
    Jono Member ✭✭
    Options

R53.22 and R53.24 have both been working for me

• LongTimeUser_SC
    Options

I am having this problem. I tried the QW27.2.63.19MPatch.zip patch yesterday. The problem is back. It did not work the 1st time after installing the patch (with launch Quicken on the install.exe) but did work the 2nd time - bringing Quicken up from scratch, and the third time too. But then stopped working. My quicken files are in OneDrive in C:\Users\sueco\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken. Thank you so much for working to fix this Quicken/OneDrive interaction issue!

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

For me, this latest patch seems to fix my issue. My data file doens't have a password (I removed it in earlier troubleshooting). File size is 285k. Windows 11.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The latest patch R53.24 appears to have fixed the problem for me. Thanks!

I have a data file password, my C: drive is a SSD, the test data file is 189 MB and is located at C:\Users\j99ha\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\JLH R52-33 - Copy.QDF

QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm betting on this latest patch actually being the fix based on my testing (time will tell if I'm right). I see two things different in this patch release behavior. First off, I don't see it opening the data file and then closing it and reopening it. Second, with my program purposely trying to open and close the data file really fast I see that Quicken will stop and wait for my program to stop accessing the data file before it will continue with opening it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • James Squire
    James Squire Member ✭✭
    Options

QW27.1.53.22fullMPatch fixed the problem for me tonight, though I've only tested it once.

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, this is the official workaround for about 2 months now. The discussion now is eliminating that workaround. Personally I'm using a script to exit onedrive and launch quicken, then when quicken closes it re-loads onedrive, just to make it simpler.

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have windows file history (the new version of windows backup as of windows 10) enabled? It behaves very similarly to onedrive.

• Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

https://community.quicken.com/profile/Brian%20Kirkland , how much memory do your two laptops have? The problem might be related to timing changes in the lateest Quicken Classic update that don't allow for memory reallocation.

I noticed the same problem about the same time you reported it here. I am doing almost the same thing. Except that I do not password-protect my Quicken file. I have two Windows PCs each keep my Quicken files stored locally in a folder that Syncs to OneDrive. I get the same result you are reporting on my portable Surface Pro 6 with 8GB of memory. I do not get the problem on my desktop with more powerful processor and 16GB of memory.

Some people posting to your thread believe it's related to the file locking as a result of the Quicken password protection. That may be true, but I doubt that's a complete explanation since I don't use Quicken password protection on the data file.

I haven't read this whole thread. I assume your OneDrive Quicken folder is set to keep Quicken files always stored locally on both computers, and after startup when you switch computers, you wait until the files are synchronized before opening Quicken. That would definitely cause this problem. But you must have addressed that. Otherwise, you would have had the problem long before now.

Incidentally, the few Quicken techs I've talked all mistakenly believe a file stored in a OneDrive folder has to be downloaded each time it is called and that writes to the filed must be uploaded to complete the write. I try not to think about the fact that tech support for my financial data is in the hands of people that unfamiliar with the Windows OS.

• James H.
    James H. Member
    Options

I followed these steps and I am still having issues with opening it the first time. Got the error, but it worked the 2nd and third time. My file is in the Documents\quicken directory of windows.

1. Close Quicken
    2. Restart the system
    3. Don’t pause or do anything to OneDrive
    4. Install the patch (https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.2.63.19MPatch.zip) you will need to unzip the file, go to the DISK1 folder, and run Setup.exe
    5. Open Quicken after the patch is installed.  Quicken should open as expected.
    6. Close and re-open Quicken.  Quicken should open as expected.

• Jim_Harman
    edited December 2023
    Options

@James H There is a newer patch than the one you installed, which resolved this problem for me. Please follow the instructions in this post from @Quicken Anja

• Bob Carver
    Bob Carver Member ✭✭
    Options

Applied latest patch (https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.53.24fullMPatch.EXE). It appears to be a cure. Opened and closed Quicken a few times with no problems. Additionally, the instance + data seems to become available sooner.

• rjmura
    rjmura Member
    Options

today's patch doesn't work. i used to be able to open the data file before by pausing onedrive, but not anymore, even after super validating file.

1. data file has a password
    2. when i open quicken and enter my password, as soon as i see my data, it disappears and i get a blank page.
    3. data file is 13.6 MB
    4. i have an ssd
    5. sent logs

• jmad
    jmad Member ✭✭
    Options

Just to pour some jet fuel on this, I saw one or two posts on this which said it had something to do with a password protected Quicken data file on a OneDrive folder. Mine is stored on a OneDrive folder but is not password protected. As others have noted, this is a relatively recent issue. And, no, I am not moving the file to a non-One Drive folder. This is 2023, not 1985. I do not want to risk losing my data. I guess this is the type of support we get when there are no other viable applications to manage personal finances.

• rm54tm46
    rm54tm46 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Problem solved with the 12/9/23 update!!

• Steve Zynda
    Steve Zynda Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Problem Solved with the 12/9/2023 Update for me too. There were some differences with your instructions that should be corrected…

1. The download was NOT a ZIP but an EXE and the EXE launched an installer
    2. The installer asked me to uninstall my existing software before installing this patch (This should be added to the instructions).
    3. Quicken opened automatically after the install and go stuck in a "new user workflow" asking me question if I have used quicken before. (Endless Loop). Closed out of quicken and lanunched my normal way using my PINNED shortcuts on the taskbar. Opened fined.

I have opened 4 of data files at least 3x times each and no password errors.

As and FYI my data files range in size from 38MB to 118MB; Stored on OneDrive for Business; Running on laptop with SSD drive.

• domtrump
    domtrump Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Had to move my main Quicken data file to a different location. Now everytime I go to open quicken, I get prompted for the file's password and after entering, I get:

I then proceed to open the file manually using File Open and navigate to the exact same file in the exact same location and this time it will open. It works on the SECOND try EVERY TIME! But no matter what, the next time I open Quicken, it will go through the same series of errors and then open just fine the second time. I can manually navigate to the file or select it from recent files in the File drop down, but it will only open the second time after getting the error.

Obviously nothing is wrong with the data file itself as it is fully intact and updated when you open it on the second try, but something is going wrong on Quicken start up.

I have tried:

-Making a shortcut directly to the file and using that to open, but same result.
    -renaming the data file (even tried renaming with a name less than 8 char, but no difference)
    -The desktop shortcut I use to open normally has these properties:

How can I get the application to just open the last data file used (my main and only data file) every time on startup the way it always has in the past. Is there some .ini or .config file I need to modify?

• demhood
    demhood Member ✭✭
    Options

Having same issue. Any update lately?

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@demhood this patch seems to resolve the issue: (https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.53.24fullMPatch.EXE)

• Mike Jenkinson
    Options

I confess I have not read every post on every page in this thread, but I've installed the update that came out a few days ago and after several successful openings of my file, the old behaviour has resurfaced and I'm still stuck with the problem of the file not opening upon Quicken start more often than not.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@Mike Jenkinson

Please go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what version of Quicken you are running now.

If you are not running R53.24, please try the patch in this Dec. 7 post from @Quicken Anja and let us know if that resolves the problem. If you are still having problems with R53.24, please report the problem to Quicken as described in the post.

• James Squire
    James Squire Member ✭✭
    Options

The next day, it no longer worked. I installed the newer patch and had the same problem, though I can once again open the file after Quicken finishes its startup.

Further, on my Windows 11 laptop, I get a warning window when trying to install either patch telling me the application might not have installed correctly. It asks me to tell it the application installed correctly or to choose to install it with compatibility settings.

This discussion has been closed.