New Year's resolutions that backfired

Options

With the New Year comes New Year's resolutions. I generally aim for resolutions that are simple, measurable, and achievable. One year, when I was still in grade school, I decided I wanted to read more, so I set a resolution of reading at least 100 books during the year. While I did manage to achieve that goal, focusing on quantity did have an unintended side-effect: I actually ended up reading less overall, since I picked books that were short, fast reads.

Have any of you had a resolution backfire?

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited January 11
    Options

This year I decided to avoid a New Year's Resolution since they usually fail. I think the only New Year's Resolution I set that actually backfired was back in 2021. I wanted to lose the quarantine weight, but I ended up gaining weight instead lol. Oh well. 🤷

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

I have never done a New Year's Resolution, I am sure I have said things but never followed through. It must be a Gen Z thing…

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have made, AND KEPT, the following NY resolution for 40+ years:

To not make any damn fool resolutions that I know I'm not going to keep anyway.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Barnabas
    Barnabas Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't usually make resolutions for the new year. So I'm pretty sure I haven't had one that backfired.

• HardRightEdge
    HardRightEdge Member ✭✭
    Options

By all rights resolutions should be on an as needed basis. After all, every day is the first day of the rest of your life. 🙄 I suppose reserving one day of the year for a small handful for resolutions limits the opportunity for crushing disappointments.