Which Version of Quicken Do I Need?

Options
System
System Member admin
edited April 2 in Before you Buy
This discussion was created from comments split from: What Current Version - From 2016 Home & Business.

Comments

• Jo Lynne Merrill
    Jo Lynne Merrill Unconfirmed, Member
    edited February 15
    Options

I have been running Quicken 2016 for Windows for my personal checking account check register, bank reconciliations, and generating reports. I bought a new computer. I want to know what version of Quicken to install that will be compatible with my Quicken backup of checking account data and the best way to transfer it from the old computer to the new device.

Thank you,

JoLynne Merrill

[Removed - Personal Info]

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you only use Quicken for banking and credit card accounts, then Quicken Classic Starter edition will work. That is often included, free for the first year, with other software such as TurboTax.

I believe the budget features are limited in Starter, and also Tags are not supported in reports. If you need those and/or support for investing accounts, you will need the Deluxe edition.

To transfer your data to the new computer, save a backup of your current data file on the old computer and transfer it to the new computer, then restore the backup on the new computer.

QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While Starter edition may do everything you need, if you do not renew the subscription, Starter edition goes into Read-Only mode, you can not add any new transactions. It becomes a reporter generator, nothing more.

If you purchase Deluxe or higher, at the end of the subscription, you get a couple of banners and panels that CAN NOT BE REMOVED without renewing that will eat up between a quarter to a third of your screen space.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Alternatively, you can pay for Starter edition every year until the year you plan to no longer subscribe, then upgrade to Deluxe for your final year to avoid going into read-only after the subscription expires. @splashers' caveat then applies.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    Options

If you purchase Deluxe or higher, at the end of the subscription, you get a couple of banners and panels that CAN NOT BE REMOVED without renewing that will eat up between a quarter to a third of your screen space.

One comment to add to this: If you purchase the subscription for Deluxe (or higher) you will be able to continue to use it manually after the subscription expires (unlike Starter). So, while Starter might be your lowest cost option for the 1st year, if plan to not renew the subscription after the 1st year Deluxe will be by far your lowest cost long-term subscription option. But if you plan to renew your subscription each year then Starter would be your lowest cost option.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Guessing you no longer need the Business features of Quicken ?

If you are just using Quicken for basic Banking, Investment features - then DELUXE would be fine (not Starter as discussed above)

The Quicken QDF data file is the same for all versions - just different features are enabled with each version.
    Just copy the QDF data file from your old computer
    and then put the copied QDF file into your new computer /Document/Quicken/ folder

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Trudy Trainor
    Trudy Trainor Member
    Options

what new version of quicken for windows compares to quicken2013

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what do you mean "compares" -
    Each newer version adds some bells, whistles, and shiny objects to make everyone happy -
    If 2013 is working just fine for you - in manual mode - then you can just stick with it…. as later versions require a Quicken ID

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Trudy Trainor - Also, if 2013 is working for you and you are OK with manual entry of transactions, then why upgrade to Subscription. Subscription will allow you to download transactions from financial institutions but you will need to renew your subscription each year in order to continue doing that. On the other hand, your 2013 does not cost you anything.

If, however, you do want to buy a Subscription so you can download transactions, then your question is too open ended. Which edition of 2013 do you have? Tell us that and we can tell you which edition of Subscription (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Business & Personal) would be the most comparable for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.