Data conversion from Quicken 2002

Options
Mike_EastAsia
Mike_EastAsia Member
edited March 29 in Before you Buy

Hello,

I have backup data from Quicken Deluxe 2002 Deluxe.

I plan to subscribe or purchase the current version of Quicken software.

Which version is applicable ? Quicken Classic Starter or Deluxe ?

Is the licence based on online subscription or one off purchase ie standalone install ?

How do I trasnfer or convert 2002 data to the Quicken's current version ?

Thank you

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As far as the conversion from 2002 to subscription, see this article:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

I suggest Deluxe. The Starter edition goes into READ ONLY mode if the subscription expires. Deluxe and higher just lose some screen space (~25%) to nags/reminders to renew the subscription along with all online features no longer working.

The subscription is based on the current edition that is licensed. You could change up or down each year, so you are not stuck with your initial decision.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you located in the US, Canada or "EastAsia"?

I ask because you should know that Quicken Subscription online services, such as transaction downloads, only work with US (for Quicken US) or Canadian (for Quicken Canada) financial institutions.

You can use Quicken for accounts in other countries but only on a manual data entry basis.

If your financial accounts are in other countries then there is little reason to upgrade to Quicken Subscription. You might, instead, want to consider upgrading to Quicken Windows Deluxe 2013 and not upgrading beyond that. The link provided by @splasher above will tell you how to do that and will also provide you a link for downloading QWin Deluxe 2013 for free. It will also provide you with a link for first downloading and upgrading to Quicken Windows 2004 for free which must be done before you can upgrade to Quicken Windows Deluxe 2013.

If you do decide to upgrade to Quicken Subscription you will still need to first upgrade to 2004 and then to 2013 before you can upgrade to Subscription.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I think all your questions have been addressed by the excellent posts above, except clarifying this one:

Is the licence based on online subscription or one off purchase ie standalone install ?

Quicken remains a desktop-based program, even though the company now uses subscription pricing. That means there is no longer what you would call "standalone" licensing, where you pay once and can use the software indefinitely. The subscription allows you to use the full functionality of Quicken, but it isn't an "online" subscription.

As alluded to above, if you let your subscription expire, Quicken steals roughly 25% of the right side of your Quicken screen for a persistent message about renewing. It's annoying, but if you don't mind some horizontal scrolling, it remains usable for manual entry in this manner indefinitely. Of course, their goal is to annoy you into maintaining a subscription, which gets you the latest features and bug fixes (which some feel are of dubious value) as well as connected services: downloading/importing transactions from US/Canada financial institutions, downloading security prices, ability to use the companion Quicken mobile app and/or web interface to see or enter data and some other optional services for bill payments.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mike_EastAsia
    Mike_EastAsia Member
    Options

Hi Splasher / Boatnmanic / Jacobs

Many thanks for your updates. Our Firm is based in Hong Kong.

The Quicken software and data that we have is the Quicken 2002 Deluxe international edition.

If Quicken Windows Deluxe 2013 is the version that we need to bring the software up-to-date then we have no choice.

Would you have the link where we can download/purchase Quicken Windows Deluxe 2013 software. Reason being the Quicken weblinks I have searched seems to refer to the subscription versions only.

Thank you all for the inputs,

Mike

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would you have the link where we can download/purchase Quicken Windows Deluxe 2013 software.

You can find a link to Q 2013 software within this webpage. The download and use of intermediate versions is free:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Follow the instructions closely for converting your data file. There are several steps involved in the process because you're at the 2002 level.

There's a possibility that your 2002 data file, not having been made by a US version, may not convert … but do give it a try.
    However, use a different computer to install the intermediate version(s) of Quicken and leave your current PC with the 2002 software untouched. You cannot install several versions of Quicken side by side on the same computer! Any newer version wipes out the older software installations.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@Mike_EastAsia - As mentioned above, you will first need to update to 2004 before you can update to 2013. Links for both of these free downloads are in the Support Article that @UKR and @splasher provided the link to in their posts above.

Important: These free Quicken 2004 and 2013 versions are Quicken US editions, not Quicken International. So they might not update and convert your 2002 International version correctly. I strongly support the suggestion made by @UKR that you use a separate computer to try doing the update/conversion. That way, if something goes wrong, your 2002 installation and data will remain intact and unaffected on your current computer.

Unfortunately, Quicken stopped making and supporting International versions in the early 2000s so there are no more recent International version updates available for you to update to.

• Mike_EastAsia
    Mike_EastAsia Member
    Options

Thank you so much. Will use another computer to try the conversion.

If we are able to convert the data to the intermediate Q 2013, would you know if the converted data is compatible to use with the current versions of Quicken for Windows ie (a) Quicken Classic Starter/Deluxe/Premier or (b) Quicken Classic Business & Personal.

I am unable to find online vendors selling Quicken for Windows…….possibly due to my location in Asia.

Mike

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are in Asia, I would stop at Quicken 2013 Deluxe US. It is the last version of Quicken that can be used completely offline, and most of what has changed since then are online features you can't make use of.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mike_EastAsia
    Mike_EastAsia Member
    Options

Hi Chris / Boatnmaniac / Jacobs,

I have downloaded and installed Quicken2013 on a standalone pc. The data file from Quicken2002 also works on Quicken2013. Thank you so much for your help.

Another thing is whenever I launch Quicken2013, there is the prompt for the registration of the software with option to register later or register now. I tried to go through the process of registration thinking it will take me to a page to purchase the licence but somehow it wont get processed. It becomes stuck saying there is "no internet connection".

Is it because Quicken2013 is now obsolete or has reached its EOL ?

I don't have an issue of paying for the licence fee to continue using Quicken2013.

Do i need to contact Quicken directly for this ?

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5
    Options

Try the following to eliminate the registration request:

Left Shift+Ctrl when clicking on Tools→One Step Update

Quicken, Inc considers anything prior to subscription Quicken (2018+) to have reached EOL.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Mike_EastAsia
    Mike_EastAsia Member
    Options

Hi Splasher

Thanks for tip. Quicken2013 no longer prompts for registeration request. Thank you.

However, does this mean Quicken2013 will eventually expire soon ie after the trial period ?

Incidentaly, our firm has a spare licenced boxset of desktop Quickbooks2020. Would Quicken2013 data work on Quickbooks2020 through a conversion process ?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

does this mean Quicken2013 will eventually expire soon ie after the trial period ?

No, Quicken 2013 is long-ago discontinued software; you paid nothing for it, and there is no trial period.

our firm has a spare licenced boxset of desktop Quickbooks2020. Would Quicken2013 data work on Quickbooks2020 through a conversion process ?

Quickbooks desktop software has a converter utility to import Quicken data, but I don't know if it will work with Quicken 2013 data correctly. (There are different converters for different Quicken releases; I don't know if they support importing from a Quicken 2013 data file.) I believe Quickbooks online requires you to export your Quicken data as a .csv file to import into Quickbooks. Note that moving data from a Quicken file to Quickbooks is a one-time, one-way conversion. There is no path to go in the opposite direction. I also don't know if the Quickbooks 2020 desktop software can still be registered and used successfully. You'll do better asking these types of questions in a Quickbooks user forum rather than here.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mike_EastAsia
    Mike_EastAsia Member
    Options

Hi Jacobs,

Thank you.

• eqpu
    eqpu Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was also thinking of upgrading to latest Quicken version. I do NOT use any online features and do all entry manually and plan to continue to do so.

By this reasoning, I can continue using Quicken 2012 Premier like before

I have even purchased Quicken 2013 and 2015 Home and Business editions and have installable files for them saved but ended up not using it eventually as there were issues at beginning in these versions and no advantages over Quicken 2012 Premier for me for my purposes. 

Quicken 2012 Premier on Windows 11 Pro (Quicken User since Quicken 1998)

• eqpu
    eqpu Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

A slightly off question. How do I use a grey bar at the left with a phrase in the right about which I want to respond like that done above? That way I do not have to include the entire block in the comment.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@eqpu - I'm surprised that you encountered issues with QWin 2013 because most everyone who posts about it in Community speaks highly of it. Regardless, yes, you can continue to use QWin 2012 Premier manually for as long as your system supports it.

Also note that you will never be able to install and use QWin 2015 anymore because it requires registration with Intuit and that Intuit server is long gone because Intuit sold Quicken in 2016. So, there is no benefit for you to hang onto that 2015 installation file.

Regarding your gray bar question:

1. Copy the text in the post that you want to capture.
    2. Paste it into the "Leave a Comment" field.
    3. Click on the pasted text.
    4. Click on the Paragraph mark on the left outside of the "Leave of Comment" field. It will look like this (without the yellow highlighting)…
    5. Click on the Quote mark and then click on "Quote". Now that pasted text you clicked on should have the gray bar.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac said:

I'm surprised that you encountered issues with QWin 2013 because most everyone who posts about it in Community speaks highly of it. Regardless, yes, you can continue to use QWin 2012 Premier manually for as long as your system supports it.

@eqpu said:

I have even purchased Quicken 2013 and 2015 Home and Business editions and have installable files for them saved but ended up not using it eventually as there were issues at beginning in these versions and no advantages over Quicken 2012 Premier for me for my purposes. 

I don't remember a single "year version" of Quicken that didn't have problems when it first came out. It was the "big bang" releases. Intuit would release in October or November with lots of bugs and then spend the next several months fixing those bugs, until they thought it was stable enough, and then start working on the next year's big bang.

In general, most of the releases were pretty good by the time their release cycle in the next April ended.

One year I violated my own rule to buy Quicken when it first came out instead of waiting for a few months for it to get "patched up". That was Quicken 2007. I thought for sure Quicken was "stable" since I have very few problems with it in the years up to that point. The experience was enough to wonder if Quicken would even be around in a few years. I didn't buy Quicken again until 2010, and only after all the patches for that year were in and I was already preparing to replace it with something I had coded (not nearly as complete or automatic, but within my control). As it turned out Quicken 2010 at that time was "stable" and even had a couple new features I liked.

Note also 2007 was the first time I logged into a Quicken forum. And the above is the reason.

There isn't a Quicken version that doesn't have bugs. Which bugs vary, and it will really depend on which ones affect a given user whether they like a given version of Quicken or not. But certainly, especially with the "year versions" of Quicken you want to be patched to the latest one.

Between Quicken 2012 and 2013 about the only major thing they touched was they "refined" the budget system, at least that is what I believe was the right version. That in Quicken 2012 the completely redid the budget system, and of course there were things that people didn't like in it, and it was improved in Quicken 2013.

But in a nutshell, I wouldn't really rate almost any year version of Quicken that much better than another once you get past the change over in the GUI from the old "lists" to registers. The "claim to fame" for Quicken 2013 is that it is the last version of Quicken that is totally offline.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just to be clear, if you are running an old version of Quicken like 2013, people on this forum may be able to answer your questions, but you cannot get any support from Quicken Inc. Official phone and chat support is included with the current subscription software.

QWin Premier subscription
  • eqpu
    eqpu Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also note that you will never be able to install and use QWin 2015 anymore because it requires registration with Intuit and that Intuit server is long gone because Intuit sold Quicken in 2016. So, there is no benefit for you to hang onto that 2015 installation file.

Thanks for letting me know that Quicken 2015 will never install now.

I never tried installing anything after Quicken 2013 so was unaware about this.

I now just hope that I can continue using Quicken 2012 Premier (or Quicken 2013 Home and Business in case I want to use Home and Business features in future) for a long time (even with old spare machine if required with older version of Windows. Hope never have to do that)

• eqpu
    eqpu Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm surprised that you encountered issues with QWin 2013 because most everyone who posts about it in Community speaks highly of it. Regardless, yes, you can continue to use QWin 2012 Premier manually for as long as your system supports it.

This below response might be the reason for me not installing and using as I might have experienced the same.

I don't remember a single "year version" of Quicken that didn't have problems when it first came out. It was the "big bang" releases. Intuit would release in October or November with lots of bugs and then spend the next several months fixing those bugs, until they thought it was stable enough, and then start working on the next year's big bang.

In general, most of the releases were pretty good by the time their release cycle in the next April ended.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

The issue with not being able to install and use QWin 2015 is that it needs to be registered with Intuit and that Intuit server no longer exists so the registration/activation cannot be completed. It also installs a Quicken.ini file that is not compatible with current Quicken initialization requirements.

Your QWin 2012 should be usable to you for a long time because it is already installed and it has no need to interface with Intuit nor Quicken Inc.

This is why you will frequently see posts in this community recommending to not upgrade beyond QWin 2013 if you are OK with using Quicken manually and do not want or need online services (which is where most of the product improvements have been made).