System
System Member admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

One Step Update Freezes

Comments

• Matt Knudsen
    Matt Knudsen Member ✭✭
    Options

Mine is crashing repeatedly. Only a handful of accounts update (Green) while most say "Waiting…". Program is completely unresponsive.

Tried a single account and didn't work.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Matt Knudsen,

To clarify, is the program crashing (closing by itself) or is it freezing (moving extremely slowly or you end up having to force close it from the Task Manager)? When did you first notice this issue? Does this happen only when running One Step Update? If there are other things that trigger this behavior, what are they? Do you sync with the Quicken Cloud? Is your Quicken file directly on your local hard drive, or is it on a shared/network drive? Do you sync your file with any cloud services like OneDrive, iCloud, Dropbox, etc.?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Teresa Ruiz
    Teresa Ruiz Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same issue since this past weekend. One step update just keeps spinning. Nothing gets updated. I have to use task manager to stop the program so I can enter data manually. Not ideal.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Teresa Ruiz,

Thanks for joining this thread.

Could you please answer all the questions that were provided by @Quicken Kristina?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Teresa Ruiz
    Teresa Ruiz Member ✭✭
    Options

Program is it freezing (moving extremely slowly or you end up having to force close it from the Task Manager) This issue began on Monday. This happens when running One Step Update or if I try to update one account. Quicken file is directly on my local hard drive. Backups are saved to an external drive.

• Matt Knudsen
    Matt Knudsen Member ✭✭
    edited April 18
    Options

Hi @Quicken Kristina , it does not crash on it's own, but freezes. I've left it "updating" overnight multiple times and in the morning it's still "not responding" or progressed. Can't click anything in the program. This has been happening for about a 1-2 weeks; around or shortly after R55.26.

The Quicken file is stored on my local drive, and is not sync'd with a cloud storage provider.

I did a few more tests since Monday and it's consistent, but mixed results.

Successful: investing.quicken.com update

Successful: accounts that do NOT have the key by them

Freeze: Express Web Connect accounts

Freeze: Update to cloud (screenshot below)

Everything checked worked, everything unchecked freezes consistently.

• Matt Knudsen
    Matt Knudsen Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, after validating the file a 2nd time and syncing accounts one by one, One Step Update has started to work again again. Very annoying, but resolved for now.

• Quicken Kristina
    edited April 19
    Options

Thank you for your reply @Matt Knudsen,

I'm glad to hear it's resolved for now.

Please feel free to reach out if you need further assistance!

@Teresa Ruiz,

Typically, freezing is caused either by a program issue or a file issue. Since file issues are the more common culprit, I recommend that you start troubleshooting by validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• cpetrovsky
    cpetrovsky Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have same issue - been freezing then crashes. No error popup after crash which used to happen. I have a video of screen where the window just dissapears and thats it. Then you need to restart QW. If updating ONE account at a time, it seems to work, but I have 15+ accounts so doing one a time wont work. This has been happening for weeks sine last update. And yes, I validated, super validated, and super-duper-extra-duper Validated.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Sat Apr 20 10:02:03 2024]
    Maximum security reference: 41, number of securities: 41.
    Analyzing securities.
    All security references are within the normal range.

Super validation has completed.

Carl

• Howard Hillinger
    Howard Hillinger Member ✭✭
    Options

I have had the same problem since 4/15/24. Tried validating and super validating. Still hangs up no response, even if I only update a single account. Only Fidelity is working.

• rbennett00
    rbennett00 Member
    Options

Same issue here for over a week. Have done validate and super validate, then tried updating one account at a time, then tried resetting the connected accounts - Wells Fargo seems to work now, as does Bill / Investing price updates, but still having the issues with Bank of America (crash to desktop), American Express (hangs on update), and Fidelity (hangs on update)

• AllCourt
    AllCourt Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here for about a week. Have done validate and super validate. Tried updating one account at a time. UBS Financial Services and Alight Solutions update without issue as do investing price updates. Bank of America in particular hangs on update, as well as Chase and Barclays. Quicken Cloud sync errors out with a "Quicken encountered a server-side error while syncing your data" message.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you all for your replies,

Since Validate/Super Validate didn't correct the issue, please test to see if it works properly with cloud sync turned off. To turn off cloud sync, go to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web, then turn Sync off.

If the issue persists after you've turned Sync off, then please try restoring a backup from before the issue started and test to see if the issue persists in the newly restored backup.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• cpetrovsky
    cpetrovsky Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Kristina, everyone has done this a thousand of times. Many of us have been using this for 30 years. Every version. Yes we did a million validates and the very first thing was to stop cloud sync up. Old backups work, which means that the latest upgrade caused this. Something new would be much more beneficial then the same 3 suggestions.

• AllCourt
    AllCourt Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok, so I JUST did what Kristina suggested (stop cloud sync), which I wasn't aware of as a troubleshooting option before. I was skeptical as Quicken seemed to hang on the same institutions, but after a brief time, it completed One Step Update for the first time in a week.

HOWEVER, I have four accounts now showing the red flag for new transactions. I have only started to go through these transactions for one account so far. And there are multiple "New" transactions dated as far back as 2013 and 2014, as well as several dated 2023, with some transactions from this past week mixed in.

So now, I need to go back and verify that these old "New" transactions are not mistakes before committing them to the register. At least one appears to be invalid so far.

I have to say, this whole ordeal has been more frustrating than other Quicken issues I've encountered in the past, and is seriously undermining my confidence in the data I download.

I REALLY hope, as others have mentioned, that this apparent issue with the last release can be resolved on Quicken's end so we can go back to using the functionality that was already present.

• AllCourt
    AllCourt Member ✭✭
    Options

…and of the four accounts with "New" downloaded transactions, two of them appear to just have ACTUAL new transactions while a second one has even more "New" transactions from 2023. The only thing I know to do is go through them one by one, see if they already exist somewhere in the register, verify they are present in the financial institution's ledger, and then accept or delete based on what I find. Tedious and time-consuming, but I don't know any other way to handle these odd transactions.

• AllCourt
    AllCourt Member ✭✭
    Options

Just an update: I resolved the odd transactions - they all appeared to be valid, best I could tell. So bizarre. Then I did a Cloud Sync by itself. That took awhile but completed without issue. Then I did a One Step Update (now with Cloud Sync turned back on), and it completed successfully. So fingers crossed, all seems to be working properly again.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the follow up @AllCourt,

I'm glad to hear it seems to be working now.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

If you are still experiencing this issue and the troubleshooting earlier in this discussion did not resolve the issue, then please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Howard Hillinger
    Howard Hillinger Member ✭✭
    edited April 23
    Options

I turned off Synch on Mobile & Web (cloud sync) and was able to get the accounts to update.

Tried turning on Synch again and the problem came back, so I turned off Synch again.

So now I can update my desktop Quicken but not the mobile/web version

Is there any way to get both to work?