Additional Users on same account- REQUEST

Options
jerylori
jerylori Member
edited April 19 in Product Enhancements

It is important that Quicken offers a way for more than one person to sign into an account with their own username and password. For anyone who has an assistant who is helping oversee Quicken, for example, if they are checking to make sure downloads are in the correct categories, a separate sign-in should be established.

It would also increase security if access dates for each sign-in are available.

A primary user/administrator should be able to set up as many individuals as they need to access their account, and they should each have their own username and password.

This should not be a difficult enhancement to incorporate into the system.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @jerylori,

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@jerylori I understand and appreciate the desire to have an assistant or caregiver or accountant be able to access a Quicken data file. But I wanted to go a little deeper about your expectations for such a feature…

Your Quicken data file is resident on your local computer. Is your assistant coming to your home or office to do work on your Quicken, on your computer? In that case, they don't need to log into Quicken, because your Quicken stays logged in. If you have a password on your data file, are you asking to have a second password for the same file? I'm not sure what this would accomplish, as you could just choose a unique password which both you and your assistant could use. Or are you wanting to send them the data file and have them work on it on their own computer? Or are you wanting them to work on the data online, via the web interface? Each of these poses different issues, so I want to make sure we understand your expectation for what you're requesting.

It would also increase security if access dates for each sign-in are available.

It's fair to make the request for such a feature, but I'll just share my opinion that this seems less likely to be implemented. The reason is that there are a lot of security measures which a true multi-user accounting program has which Quicken does not. That would include a feature like recording the entry and last edit date (and possibly user) of every transaction. It would include posting — permanently locking — transactions after review, so they can't be accidentally or intentionally edited or deleted, requiring a correcting entry to make a change, so there is a complete trail of what happened and when (and possibly, by whom). Without features like that, I don't know what value there would be to simply logging who accessed the file, because it wouldn't reveal anything about what, if anything, was entered, edited, or deleted in the file. Quicken doesn't aspire to have those sorts of robust security controls, because they add complexity for many of the users Quicken is aiming to serve.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @jacobs Quicken is a personal finance program that at its heart is designed for either one person or at the most for multiple users that are all trusted equally, at least when you are talking about the same data file. For multiple data files they can be separated provided they people aren't using Sync to Mobile/Web.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/