Need more than one way to roll up my data

Sabrina G
Sabrina G Quicken Mac Subscription Member ✭✭

We have two ways to report on data - categories and tags. They're both great, but I'd like a third way. For instance, I have my categories by type of expense; Insurance, Health, Housing & Utilities, etc. And I have tags for family members. What I would like is a way to categorize each lowest level expense as Fixed, Variable, Controllable. This would really help me with understanding where I can and can't adjust my budget. I tried to put two of the same tags on a transaction, but all that did was create a new tag that had both, which doesn't help me. Really, what would make the most sense to me. is an alternate Category structure. But some third method would work as well. Maybe a tag on the category instead of the transaction or something like that.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd need to structure your category list to use those High-level categories

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9

(EDIT: Deleted post. This thread was originally posted as a discussion under "Windows" and my post was applicable to that. My post was deleted because I do not know if it would be applicable to QMac, as well.)

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Aos, I think you need to go back and take another look at tags. You can assign multiple independent tags to a transaction.

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

You'd need to structure your category list to use those High-level categories

To amplify this approach a bit more, the idea would be to create three new categories: Fixed, Variable, Controllable. Then you'd make all your existing categories subcategories of one of those three main categories. I'm not a big fan of categorizing this way, but it might work for you. One possible benefit of this approach is that the separation into the three categories would carry over to the organization of your budget, if you use Quicken's budget feature. (Tags aren't used in the budget.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

For what it is worth, I think this is another request for "category groups", which there should already be an Idea out there to vote on.

Found these two:

These mention budgets, but category groups are also used in reports (In Quicken Windows).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sabrina G

I already thought of doing that, but it would ruin the subtotals I've already got. For instance, I want to keep Food all in one group, but groceries are necessities while dining out is something I can control. I have a pretty complex and detailed category structure. :-) I used to be a bookkeeper in my former career, so categorizing and analyzing my data is meaningful and important to me.

• Sabrina G

Thanks for finding those! I did do a search, but clearly didn't know the right thing to search on!