R57.16 Update 27.1.57.16 - no longer prompts for backup?

mjonis
mjonis Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Just was forced to update my Quicken this morning to the above build.

I finished updating, opened Quicken, did a bunch of stuff and closed Quicken. I had the setting to prompt me every time I exit quicken to do a backup. This time—no prompting for a backup.

Is this an intended change?

I haven't changed any settings other than the forced update. The Preferences→ Backup shows:

Automatic local backups (checked) - backup after running quicken 5 times

Manual backup reminder (checked) - Remind me after running Quicken 0 times (but the values show 1-99).

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

It was reported elsewhere in this forum that 57.16 has apparently reset the backup counter to 0.

Try re-establishing it via EDIT, Preferences, Backup.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The Preferences→ Backup shows:
    Automatic local backups (checked) - backup after running quicken 5 times
    Manual backup reminder (checked) - Remind me after running Quicken 0 times (but the values show 1-99).

Murphy strikes again. ☹️

Do change the Manual backup reminder number to 1 or higher.
    And ensure that the checkbox in front of Manual backup reminder does have a checkmark.

Automatic backups, at your discretion, should also be enabled, set to [1] times and 10 backup copies.

• retird
    retird Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

@mjonis is it normal that you are forced to update or are you normally prompted to update if you choose?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• mjonis

Thank you! So looks like the update changed this setting (and perhaps others). Grrrr

• mjonis

IMO, it depends. Some updates that prompt you, you can cancel, but then it won't download/update via OSU for pretty much any EWC+ account (that's usually when I get prompted is during OSU, it'll show like maybe 5-8 of my 30+ online accounts that are able to be updated, and tell me there's a Quicken Update.) If I don't apply the update, it only updates the 5-8 accounts shown, instead of all of them.

For the others, I've started Quicken and immediately am prompted to update.

• Jim Bailey
    Jim Bailey Member ✭✭✭

I'm not getting any prompts to do a manual backup. The correct box is checked, and just to see if it might help, I unchecked then re-checked the manual backup reminder box under backup preferences. I also changed the number of times to run before being prompted from 2 times to 1. I'm still not getting any prompt for a manual backup.

• eclark
    eclark Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I have Quicken Classic Deluxe R57.26 and just discovered that I'm no longer getting reminders for manual backup. Have tried changing the number from 3 to 1 and back to 3 again. NO REMINDER!! Needs to be fixed.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please note that the Backup Settings are named "Backup after running Quicken [xx] times".
    That means, you need to shut down Quicken and restart it for the internal counter to be decremented by one. After making changes, the counter resets.

IMHO, the setting should be [1] so that you get a backup every time you shut down Quicken.

BTW, which command do you use to shut down Quicken? I'm not sure about it, but commands other than clicking the red "X" may not trigger backup and sync on shutdown.

Also double-check to make sure that Quicken is allowed to update and save its configuration files. Please check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If it is, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21

As follow-up to other related questions/issues posted in this thread:

• PREFERENCES CHANGES DURING VERSION UPDATES: This is a known occasional issue with Quicken for at least the last couple of years. Backup preferences (both Automatic and Manual), in my experience, are the most likely to be affected but it does sometimes affect other preferences, as well. To avoid changed Preferences "surprises" it is recommended after every version update to do a quick review of the Preferences settings and to correct any undesired changes that have been made.
    • FORCED VERSION UPDATES: There is an easy way to stop version updates from being made without our approval. Change the Windows UAC Setting to "Always Notify". Once set up, when Quicken tries to automatically update the version there will be a popup notification of it and asking if we want to allow the update to proceed or to cancel the update. I almost always cancel the update without any issues being encountered.
    • VERSION UPDATE METHOD: I generally recommend not letting Quicken update the installed version and instead manually download and install the Manual Patch Update file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product/ . IMO, downloading/installing the Manual Patch Update file is a more reliable and trouble-free method for updating the Quicken version than is letting Quicken do the updating from within the program. Also, if a version update is done via the Quicken program and Quicken program issues are encountered afterward, downloading and installing the Manual Patch Update file can often resolve those issues. NOTE: The latest Manual Patch Update file generally becomes available for download a few days after the Quicken program starts to notify us of a new version being available. Just hover the cursor over the link for the Manual Patch Update and the version that is available for download will be visible in the URL that is shown.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• Jim Bailey
    Jim Bailey Member ✭✭✭

I have checked the settings for my manual backup a number of times and I have it set to prompt me to do a manual backup everytime I exit the program. However, I am not getting any prompts to do a manual backup. It appears that a number of other folks are having the same problem.

• eclark
    eclark Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

To UKR above, thanks for your response. I have been on Quicken since 1996. I have depended on the reminder for backup for years and have never had a problem until now. I do not have Controlled Access enabled. I always install the latest updates of Quicken and Windows. I always use the upper right x to exit Quicken. ALL OF A SUDDEN, the backup is not working. It isn't in my control. No matter what number I put in the manual exit field for reminders, 1 or 3 or whatever, it DOES NOT REMIND ME. Quicken needs to fix this. Please.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited July 27

@eclark - Which version of Quicken are you running? R57.16 does have this manual backup issue. And I'm assuming the R57.21 also has this problem. R57.26 is supposed to resolve that issue.

If you are still running R57.16, I suggest you download and install the Manual Patch Update for R57.26 from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product/ . Do not use Quicken to update the version. IMO and experience, manually downloading and installing the Patches is more reliable and trouble-free update version process than is letting Quicken do the version updates.

If you are running R57.26 and still having this issue: If you used Quicken to update to this version, you might want to try downloading and installing the Manual Patch Update file. It will "redo" the version update and this can sometimes resolve issues caused by an incomplete or incorrect version update done previously.

Another option you might want to consider: Set your Backup preference to automatically back up your data file after every Quicken session. I almost never do manual backups and instead allow Quicken to automatically backup for me. You can even set how many backup files you want to retain before Quicken starts to delete old backups. It works really, really well.

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

@Boatnmaniac

Thanks for jumping in. I've posted in some of the other threads on this issue.

I'm on R57.26 (Win 11 Pro) and still have this issue. I only noticed this about 2 weeks ago. Can't say when I did the update to .26 but didn't notice this behavior prior. I normally update Quicken through the native update function. I followed your suggestion on downloading and manually updating from the link you provided. Still does the same thing. No reminder. I've changed the interval several times and launched/closed Quicken. The auto backup works fine (I have quite a few of them now only minutes apart), but still no reminder to manually backup. Without repeating too much of my other posts, I save the auto backups to my local drive, but the manual backups go to my NAS. This way the auto backup goes quickly on my SSD drive (and recovery if I mess up something or have a different issue) and the manual backup goes to my slower NAS. Based on my preferences, the auto backup occurs daily (or maybe the next day) and the manual backup happens every few days.

• studpup
    studpup Quicken Windows Subscription Windows Beta Beta
    edited July 28

Oh, wow I didn't even notice I wasn't getting backups until I saw this post by accident.

Win 11/R57.26, my Automatic Backup counters got set to 5/5 and I got one backup in the past week which was the second one for the month.

I did participate in the last beta (which was all about backups) but on a spare computer not this one. But same Quicken account.

I changed it back to 1/99, and exited quicken and it started doing backups again. Windows "Previous Versions" in explorer has lots and lots of versions to choose from. Guess I wouldnt have been out of luck if something went badly.

wags Glad to be here!

• Boatnmaniac

Well, it was worth a shot. If @studpup's solution does not work for you, you might want to determine whether to "tolerate" the current situation with R57.26 until a fix comes out in some future version or to down-rev to a prior version that does not have this issue.

Down-revving is simple. Go to

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has/ and scroll down the page until you see the links for prior versions. Select the one that you know did not have this problem. If you do not know which one, then perhaps select one of the pre-R57.XX versions. Click on the link to download the file for the version you want and then run it. It will install over your current installation.

IMPORTANT: If you do down-rev, make sure you change your UAC Settings to "Always Notify" as mentioned in my 7/21 post above. This way, you can stop Quicken from automatically updating the version. If you do not do this then Quicken will automatically update you to R57.26, again, in the very near future.

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

Yeah, was definitely worth trying. In the grand scheme of things, this is no where near the top of the list of "things irritating me today". :) Now that I'm aware, I'll take steps to ensure my backups continue as I need them.

Again, thanks for your help!!

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod
    edited July 29

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-10586)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Belter
    Belter Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I have the same issue. I have received email from Quicken bragging about acquiring all the competition. I received one telling me that they are raising their prices. Nothing about fixing the software.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 7

Quicken "…acquiring all the competition"? That is news to me. Never saw any email regarding that. In fact, I'm not aware of Quicken acquiring any of the competition related to Quicken Classic. They did acquire Status Money in Nov 2023 but that was rolled into Simplifi, not into Classic. Simplifi is a totally separate product from Classic.

"Nothing about fixing the software.": There is a lot of information in the versions release notes about what Quicken has been doing to not only fix software issues but also to improve it. If you don't know about these things, I suggest you read the versions release notes.

If you are saying that you are having an issue with Quicken not prompting you to backup your data file (which is the subject of this thread): Which version of Quicken are you running?

This discussion has been closed.