Account Limits (Q Mac)

I note that the maximum number of accounts is 512 "of each Account Type (spending, credit, investment, etc.);" https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file/

As context, my account was created in 2007 in Windows, and converted to Mac around 2016. During this time, numerous accounts have been added, modified, and deleted. So, a few questions:

Is it possible to determine the current quantity of accounts used?

Are definitions available for "Account Type?" The FAQ notes "spending, credit, investment, etc.) which does not seem to align with the current types (Banking, Investing, Property & Dabt as primary types, with several subtypes such as Checking Savings, Cash, Credit Card under the Banking group). In this context, at which level does the 512 apply- that is, the primary types (Banking, Inveting, etc.) or the lower level (Checking, Savings, Cash, etc.)?

If an account was deleted in the Windows file before converting to the Mac version,

Thanks,

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Joe W. Brown, CPA I believe that the link you referenced deals with Quicken Windows, not Quicken Mac. While some Quicken support web pages are good about distinguishing between Mac and Windows versions, unfortunately many are not. I don't think Quicken Mac has these types of limits because it is using a much more modern SQL database. One telltale sign that the page you referenced is about Quicken Windows is that it talks about "Paychecks"; Quicken Mac does not have any separate transaction type for paychecks (lower case 'p'). Another possible telltale sign is the reference the the number of graphs you can have; Quicken Mac has graphs on certain pages, but there is not (yet) any feature for users to create and save graphs as they do reports.

I have flagged this post for one of the moderators to look into, but I'm pretty sure the number of accounts is not limited to 512 per type in Quicken Mac.

(As an aside, while I know some people have opened and closed many accounts over 20 or more years of using Quicken, does anyone really have a history of 500+ bank accounts or 500+ investment accounts? If you started using Quicken 17 years ago in 2007, you would have had to open 30 accounts of one type each and every year to be near 512 today. It's hard for me to fathom opening 30 new bank accounts or 30 new investment accounts every year for 17 years. 😊)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod
    edited October 18

Hello @Joe W. Brown, CPA,

The article you linked does refer to both Quicken for Windows and Quicken for Mac, however Quicken for Mac does seem to allow more accounts than the number listed.

Currently, there is no way for you to know how many accounts you've ever had in your file, unless you never deleted any accounts. Considering how high the limit is, the odds of running into that upper limit are low.

That said, if you would like to have an ability to see how many accounts have been in a Quicken file, I'd recommend creating an Idea post to request that functionality. For instructions on creating an Idea post, please click View Post below:

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15

I think that even Quicken windows that 512 limit might not be true for the newest version. But I was going to point out that I seriously doubt this has anything to do with any kind of limitation of the database per se. When you see a number that fits perfectly into binary, the usual reason is because they’re trying to fit into a certain amount of bits. so it means that they have chosen a certain size for storing a particular kind of data. In any database, you’re going to make decisions about how big you you want to use in relationship much space that it will take. So this would be more of a design decision. We how many accounts are practical to how much space to use in the database. With that in mind where they were a lot less concerned about disk space when they started the rewrite of Quicken Mac very likely they wouldn’t have put such a restriction in to save space.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/