Add Ability to Set Default Columns, Sort and Sizes to Registers (125 Legacy/Merged Votes) (Q Mac)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
It would be extremely helpful and a real time saver to have the ability to define global default settings for columns names, order and column widths with the following features:
  • provide ability to define columns selection, order and column widths for each type of account.
  • include with these settings ability to preserve Sort Order
(Consider using equivalent column names for different account types, e.g. if set to show credit and debit columns for credit cards, use equivalent payment and deposit columns for bank. This will minimize the number of separate default settings needed)
  • continue to provide ability to override settings on an individual account register basis
  • provide ability to apply/re-apply default settings to existing account
  • provide ability to apply settings to all (or maybe a variation to allow the user to select which accounts to apply settings, to select anywhere from 1 to all accounts)
  • provide a reset to Quicken Defaults
In case it is not clear, should be available for investment accounts too.

--------------------------------

Be sure to click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count in the blue yellow banner (below), so your vote will count (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
(If the triangle is black grey, your vote has already been counted.)

Your VOTES matter!

P.S. I have over 180 accounts, about 90 active, about 90 hidden, so this would be extremely helpful.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

88 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review April 2019 - CTP-7681

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Forgot to mention the following option:
    - continue to allow resizing of columns (or if they have to be fixed sizes, allow the column widths to resize as the the window for the account register is resized).

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any replies to this thread. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    As much as I do like the infinite account customization, this would simplify things and would be similar to the setup of QM2007.  The more accounts a person has, the more tedious the infinite settings become.  Perhaps a button could be added to make the changes universal through all accounts.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

As much as I do like the infinite account customization, this would simplify things and would be similar to the setup of QM2007.  The more accounts a person has, the more tedious the infinite settings become.  Perhaps a button could be added to make the changes universal through all accounts.  

The original idea was that if an account has not had it's settings changed, it should take on the default settings. 

But yes, an apply to all would be helpful too...especially in the situation when you want to restore all accounts...

Actually, maybe a variation would be to allow the user to select which accounts to apply settings, so you can select anywhere from 1 to all accounts to apply changes.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Another feature that should be included with these settings is preserving Sort Order.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I had posted a similar idea separately but this request is older so
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    [deleted - clean-up]

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

That's also my major grievance with the current UI - it's fine if you only have a few accounts, but once they get into the double-digits you aren't going to want to fiddle with each individual display. Especially for people upgrading from an older version, which is probably a large portion of their customer base.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    [deleted - clean-up]

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Forgot to mention the following option:
    - continue to allow resizing of columns (or if they have to be fixed sizes, allow the column widths to resize as the the window for the account register is resized).

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any replies to this thread. 

In case it is not clear, should be available for investment accounts too.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    [deleted - clean-up]

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

This would be a great idea - but I would further suggest that there be a separate button for investment accounts and cash/bank accounts
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2019
    In the MAC version, you should add the possibility to choose by which field and the sort order . Example the Payer Summary report is sortes only by the negative amount to positive amount. We should be able also to sort by payer.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2023
    Why just MAC??  Why not globally for all platforms?  Quicken is Quicken.  It should work the same regardless of the OS you are using.  And just my 2 cents - It's annoying when you use a 2-line register display and NOT be able to adjust the 2nd line columns.  What a waste of space!  How about it, Intuit - get with the program - fix the program.  Thanks and have a good day.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2023
    I thought I aways was able to do those things on a PC.  When I switched to MAC is when I ran into problems.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Report customization is key! Page Breaks, Font Size, Column width, Bold & color text options. Report customization should be a big priority with development team.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow adjust of column size on reports.

Would like to adjust the columns width on printed reports.  As it is now when I attempt to print report of transaction the account takes up half the page.  My account names are not that long. The current setup prevents me from having all the info on one page.  Work around is to export csv file and print from Numbers.  
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow adjust of column size on reports.

Would like to adjust the columns width on printed reports.  As it is now when I attempt to print report of transaction the account takes up half the page.  My account names are not that long. The current setup prevents me from having all the info on one page.  Work around is to export csv file and print from Numbers.  

Hey Karl,

I have moved you to the Idea thread for your feature request.

Make sure to add your vote!

-Thanks!
    ~~~***~~~
  • HansT
    HansT Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    For the love of Bob, Quicken, implement this!  It's just a no-brainer!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

For the love of Bob, Quicken, implement this!  It's just a no-brainer!

The concept is simple...I doubt the implementation is... Anyway, as much as I would like this too, there are much more important features they are focused on. So we will have to wait and see where this fits into their list of priorities; and it is a LONG list.

• GreyCrown
    GreyCrown Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Adding Columns Globally.

Currently i have many accounts within different categories. Such as 5 in Cash, 5 in Credit, 2 in Investing, and 6 in Property and Debt. Typically the columns would be the same in any one category such as credit or cash. I would like to see if possible a way to apply a setting to one account in any of the categories and then have it apply to the other accounts in that same category. The reason I ask this is sometimes I find I have to tweak how i view the data, and when i like it for a specific account and want to make it universal across the board within any one category I will then have to go to each of the remaining accounts to make that change.
  • peterpqa
    peterpqa Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023

1. Currently, when you right-click (or two-finger tap on the trackpad) anywhere in the register column heading bar, you get a pop-up list of columns to show/hide. How about this: when the mouse pointer changes to the width-slider, and you right-click, you would get a pop-up box to specify that column's width - best unit of measure would probably be pixels, because screen sizes and resolutions vary.

2. Also in that pop-up column-width box, have options to "copy all columns and widths" and "paste copied columns and widths." Then, you could copy columns and widths, go to another account's register, right-click on a header-bar width-slider, and paste the copied columns and widths. If you copied a different register's columns and widths, the old copied ones would be overwritten in the paste buffer.

3. The super-deluxe version of this idea would be for the pop-up column-width box to have the option to "use columns and widths from: [Account 1's Name] [Account 2's Name] [etc.]"

But the precision-width feature in #1 is the most important. This would eliminate the maddeningly tedious process of dragging column widths pixel-by-pixel in multiple registers. (I've got 19.)

[Merged Post]

• Scott Flory
    Scott Flory Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023

I would second the need to share column widths/selections across registers.  Seems like I should have the option to have a default for each "group" of registers.

I would suggest adding a options to the column popup menu to

• "save as default" 
    • "save as default for Banking" (or whatever the main grouping is for this account)
    • "save as default for Savings" (or whatever the sub-grouping is for this account)
    • "reset to default for Banking"
    • "reset to default for Savings"

OR, another approach:

• "save as template" - which then asks for a name
    • "load template" - which then provides a list to choose from
    • the templates would store column choice and widths

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2023

@Scott Flory

There is a longstanding Idea thread on the wish to be able to set default register configurations 

here

. It's status has been changed to "Under Consideration," which reflects that the product manager has acknowledged the request and that they may add this functionality in a future update. (You can still add your vote there, as higher vote totals can help influence which of many feature requests the developers tackle sooner.)

[Merged Post]

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Actually, voting was fixed on this site on April 15. BUT it seems like this old bug is isolated to this one idea thread only (at least I have not found any others that are not working).

[Merged Post]

• Jessica B.
    Jessica B. Member
    edited August 2023

Yes please fix this.  It is making me crazy to get all the columns to appear the way I want them to. Dragging doesn't do it.

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    edited August 2023

@Jessica B.

Can you clarify what you mean by "dragging doesn't do it"? If you're saying that it's annoying to have to tweak the columns on each register, yup, we all agree with that! ;)  If you're saying you're not being able to drag the columns to the width you want, please describe what you're doing and seeing. 

As I noted in my post above, there is an Idea thread for being able to set up default column settings:

click here to go to that thread

, and scroll down slightly until you see the blue box where you can vote by clicking on the little triangle under the number.

This idea thread is a different request to be able to specify column widths in precise numerical units, like pixels. If that's what you want to see, click to vote on this thread above.

[Merged Post]

• Ed Assenheimer
    Ed Assenheimer Member ✭✭
    Just to add my two cents on this. I like having all the registers to be the same columns with same widths. That way, moving from one to another the eye (brain) does not need to do any adjusting. A small bit of effort to make, but, over time small efforts fatigue. Therefore, the initial enhancement would be a user's default template. The next level would be, as many noted, account type templates. One level more would be user named templates and the user can assign a template to each account.
  • jcstigliani
    jcstigliani Member
    I totally agree! I finally updated from Quicken 2007 and it's been a time-consuming and tedious process to standardize the columns on all my accounts. 
  • jacobs
    @jcstigliani Well, the good news is that once you do get your various registers set up the way you want them, you don't typically need to do a lot of tweaking of them; that is, this is (mostly) a start-up inconvenience. And that's probably why this has been further down on the developers' list of priorities. There are still a things users cannot do with Quicken Mac that they need to focus on; over time, they'll be able to go back and refine some of the existing functionality to make it nicer/easier to work with.
  • HansT
    HansT Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    I have been begging for a method of conforming column sizes/positions between various Account Windows/Views. I have 8 bank accounts and 8 credit card accounts, and I want the column sizes/positions to be identical for each group. Right now, this is next to impossible to achieve - obviously, it's not hard to get the columns in the same relative positions, but getting them to all be exactly the same sizes is pretty much impossible. Having a template function where I could get one account to look just right and then save that layout as a template that I could then apply to any other account would solve my problem. Please, please, add this feature. Thank you.