Account Registers - Colored Rows in Acct Registers (40 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
What would be really helpful is making the register display like Quicken 2007 in which each register had alternating shaded rows in different colors. The colored lines made it easier to read and to tell which register you were in. In the current Quicken Mac, all registers have the very faint gray alternating rows, which takes away the visual cue of what register you're in. 

I also liked that when you were finished updating the transaction you hit the return key and it goes to the next transaction line. And I liked the way Quicken 2007 handled the reconciliation process. It showed you which transactions matched and it was easier to understand for us non-accountant types.

Mod Edit:
Please only vote here for the option to have the 'option for colored rows of account registers'.

The second request has been split off for easier voting here: 
Stay in Edit Mode or to Hit Return/Enter To Open New Transaction
31 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. However, Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released. QMAC-26160

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    With regards to the reconciliation process, are you talking about the window that separates the credits from the debits or are you actually referring to the downloading and matching window? 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    The downloading and matching window. I find that much easier to use and understand (finding typos in my register vs the bank downloads is so much easier to find). Also, the way the account windows are separate and detached and not integrated into the main window.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

The downloading and matching window. I find that much easier to use and understand (finding typos in my register vs the bank downloads is so much easier to find). Also, the way the account windows are separate and detached and not integrated into the main window.

You can now VOTE for the feature to Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow, here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/restore-transactions-downloading-acceptance-and-...

First, click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Regarding data entry, one work-around is that instead of pressing the Return key press CMD-N. This will save the transaction and open a new empty one ready for entry. Not ideal but still saves a step.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for responding. Yes, that works but I find it much smoother using the workflow of 2007. I've been trying to use 2017 but I keep returning to 2007 because it just works.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Thanks for responding. Yes, that works but I find it much smoother using the workflow of 2007. I've been trying to use 2017 but I keep returning to 2007 because it just works.

I know what you mean...one of the many reasons I am still sticking with QM2007.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

At the very least, there should be an option to be able to stay in edit mode, to be able to enter multiple transactions in a row, then get out when done. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Since there are multiple IDEAs in one thread, it is difficult for others to vote on them, so they are being separated to make this easier.

This one will remain to vote for the 'option for colored rows of account registers'. The second IDEA has been split off for easier voting here: 
    Stay in Edit Mode or to Hit Return/Enter To Open New Transaction

As mentioned above, the third IDEA already exists at the link above.

You can add your VOTE to that. First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    I too prefer the way it was displayed in Quicken 2007.  I'll add that having a different colour for different types of account makes it easy to know where you are, immediately.  Green for cash, some other colour for credit card & line of credit, etc.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled IDEA Could Quicken ADD a HIGHLIGHT OPTION COLOR PICK CHOICE TO A SPECIAL TRANSAC....

IDEA-Could Quicken ADD a SPECIAL COLOR OPTION TO HIGHLIGHT A SPECIAL TRANSACTION WOULD BE VERY HELP TO ME. FLAGS ARE GOOD 4 NOW.
  • mburner9
    mburner9 Member
    edited August 2019
    Add color shading for registers and rows as with QWin and QM2007

(see also a related IDEA request: Color coded transactions in register)
  • Jason Lancaster
    Jason Lancaster Member
    edited November 2019
    I think it would be a great to be able to color the background of a transaction in the register. I often want to right-click and change the color to red or yellow or something (just like the blue color when you select the transaction) but that doesn't exist. Please add!

(see also a related IDEA request: Color shading for registers & rows).
  • JimElting
    JimElting Member
    I agree. Very helpful when you have to go back and verify transactions.
  • leonard kearney
    leonard kearney Member ✭✭✭
    suggest you add the ability to add a color to transactions at user digression . So if you wanted to track all transactions to your mother-in-law you could make those red (sorry Nanna), or assign yellow to potential fraud transactions, Green for major purchases, etc.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2019
    suggest you add the ability to add a color to transactions at user digression . So if you wanted to track all transactions to your mother-in-law you could make those red (sorry Nanna), or assign yellow to potential fraud transactions, Green for major purchases, etc.
    @leonard kearney You can accomplish this tracking/separation of transactions -- albeit without colors -- using Tags. If you make the Tags column visible, and tag transactions as you described above, it would be easy to click on the Tag heading to sort a register by the tags temporarily, or to build reports for transactions with a particular Tag. I know this isn't color-coding them, and I'm not arguing against your request -- I'm only letting you know that there's a different but existing feature which can help you achieve what you want.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • razzzy`
    razzzy` Member ✭✭
    > @Brian said:
    > What would be really helpful; and don't get me wrong here, the program is a nice start from the "Essentials'disaster BUT you really need to work on the input windows for the accountregisters. It should be the way Quicken 2007 displayed the accounts windowslike a regular checkbook register. The colored lines made it easier to read andwhen you were finished updating the transaction you hit the return key and itgoes to the next transaction line. Not so with 2017. It tries to hard to dazzleyou with eye-candy and less with functionality. Also, I liked the way Quicken2007 handled the reconciliation process. It showed you which transactionsmatched and it was easier to understand for us non-accountant types
    >
    >
    > Mod Edit:
    > Please only vote for the option to have the 'option for colored rows of account registers' at the top here.
    >
    > The second IDEA has been split off for easier voting here: 
    > Stay in Edit Mode or to Hit Return/Enter To Open New Transaction

Could not have said it better myself! The White in the register is BRIGHT!
  • ASG55
    ASG55 Member ✭✭
    ANYTHING to separate the lines. Color shading would be great; even a thin gray line between would help. I'm going blind trying to view my transactions.
  • jacobs
    The strange thing is that there is gray shading for alternate rows in the registers -- but it's a very light shading, and there's no way for users to control it. 

I know the product manager has said that the display of registers, including the alternate row shading, is done by calling on functionality built into the macOS core graphics framework. So the real question about making the shading darker or allowing users to select different shading colors, is whether the macOS core code allows for this. If so, it should be easy to add. If not, adding this functionality would require a major project to re-write the screen output in Quicken.
  • bjacobs
    bjacobs Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I love Quicken's autocategorize feature. It works so well - it assigns most transactions. But when it doesn't, it would be great if it added a yellow highlight to "Uncategorized" to make it noticed right away, rather than finding it in end-of-year reports or by having to filter by "uncategorized" all the time - generally finding nothing.
  • SvenBridstrup
    SvenBridstrup Member ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to be able to right click a register entry and highlight the entire line in a user-selectable color. That little red flag ain't cutting it.
  • ricgpdx
    ricgpdx Member ✭✭
    In Quicken 2007, the register colors for checking, savings and credit card account registers were all different. I just entered a series of checking transactions into my credit card register by mistake. It would be great if could choose (or you could assign) different register color themes for the different kinds of registers.

BTW, I was dreading losing the clean and simple Quicken 2007 Mac, but am extremely happy with 2019. Well done!
  • SueLynn
    SueLynn Member ✭✭
    Why does the register appear to be faded on my Mac (MontereyOS 12.1). For the last two subscriptions it has been this way. I prefer a line between my entries and now there is a VERY SLIGHT color difference between entries on the register. If there is a way I can fix, it let me know. If you need to fix your software please make an effort to delineated the lines to make it easier to see between the register entries. I have been using Quicken since my Apple IIe. I think I have should have an opinion in how it looks :smile: Thanks for the assistance.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @SueLynn

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this difficulty. In Quicken for Mac the customization options are limited. Therefore, I am turning your post into an idea so that other users can vote for this feature. If the idea post has enough posts, it will be sent to our development team for consideration of implementation in future releases. 

Hope this provides some help. 

-Quicken Paloma

• SueLynn
    SueLynn Member ✭✭
    Thank you for you reply. It is nice to know someone is listening. :).
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SueLynn

Thank you for your response. As it turns out, there was already another similar idea post. Therefore I have merged the two threads together. Let us know of any other questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Shadowalker
    Shadowalker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023

:) I've been using Quicken in one version or another for more than a decade. Currently on a Mac, not sure which version. I LOVE it. But it's boring. I'm someone who prefers to use color to organize, such as different color codes for files, etc. I would like to be able to utilize difference row shadings for different categories so when I pull up the program I see credit cards in one color, and grocery stores in another..... In other words, I'd like to be able to assign a color to each, line item, category, and subcategory. And, while you're at it, how about background colors for entire accounts. Or be able to import a background picture as a faded wallpaper so as to not be intrusive. It would make balancing my checkbook so much more appealing.

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    edited September 2023

There is an existing Idea post requesting alternating colored rows in registers, with different colors. Please

go to this thread

and add your vote

[Merged Post]

• Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Planned as it has been accepted by our Product and Development team for future implementation. However, Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released.

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.