Add ability to add service charge or interest during reconcile to Quicken for Mac (54 Legacy Votes)

Robert B
Robert B Member ✭✭✭
Please add to the reconcile screen the ability to enter service charge or interest like in QM2007.  It would be quicker than completing new transactions in the register.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.2 Discussion.

Be sure to click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count in the blue banner below (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
(If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted).

Your VOTES matter!

Tagged:
7 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review 20 Aug 23 - CTP-7551

Comments

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes.  Those two items (service charge and interest earned) would be very helpful to have again!  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just finished reconciling bank and HSA statements.  Certainly would be great to have these pieces back as a reminder for interest or bank charges.....
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to add your VOTE to other features related to the Reconciliation Process, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/list-of-requests-for-reconciliation-process

Click the link above then scroll down the page, as it contains a list of related features.  Click on the link to EACH IDEA separatelyThen you click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Agreed.  It's ridiculous to have to remember to add interest payment before starting a reconciliation.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I have been using Quicken for windows and QuickBooks for windows at work and have never had any issues. Both work great. Have switched to a Mac and purchased Quicken for Mac 2016 last Fall. It is terrible!!!! Why are the functions not the same? The Reconcile function makes no sense and is very confusing. And the inability to enter interest earned and bank fees when reconciling makes for an additional cumbersome step for the consumer to make an entry in the register before reconciling. I say fire the Quicken development team for Mac and hire the development team for windows to  come up with a new Mac version to match the functionality of the Windows version. Just my 2 cents..I am now searching for different software to use with my Mac and doubt I would ever purchase another version of Quicken for Mac unless I know that it has been updated and up to par.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I have been using Quicken for windows and QuickBooks for windows at work and have never had any issues. Both work great. Have switched to a Mac and purchased Quicken for Mac 2016 last Fall. It is terrible!!!! Why are the functions not the same? The Reconcile function makes no sense and is very confusing. And the inability to enter interest earned and bank fees when reconciling makes for an additional cumbersome step for the consumer to make an entry in the register before reconciling. I say fire the Quicken development team for Mac and hire the development team for windows to  come up with a new Mac version to match the functionality of the Windows version. Just my 2 cents..I am now searching for different software to use with my Mac and doubt I would ever purchase another version of Quicken for Mac unless I know that it has been updated and up to par.

Obviously...you HAVEN'T been following along.

Because Quicken 2015/2016/2017 is a complete re-write of the Mac program.

And because it is just that, improvements to get it to the same level as the feature rich and constantly developed Windows version has been slow.

This is not the same as taking the Windows code and just slapping it into a Mac version.

It's a painstakingly slow process, but has been making steady progress since the early stages of Quicken Mac 2015 (which was horrendous).  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Personally I have never understood this "feature", and all it does for me in Quicken windows is get in the way (I have to enter zeros in the two fields to go on).

Every fee should be a transaction.  So they should have already been downloaded and entered into the register at the time you do a reconcile.

About the only use case I can see for it is if you are manually entering all the transactions, but in that case again it should just be another transaction entered before reconciling.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to Add ability to add service charge or interest during start-up.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Reconciliation Process. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Personally I have never understood this "feature", and all it does for me in Quicken windows is get in the way (I have to enter zeros in the two fields to go on).

Every fee should be a transaction.  So they should have already been downloaded and entered into the register at the time you do a reconcile.

About the only use case I can see for it is if you are manually entering all the transactions, but in that case again it should just be another transaction entered before reconciling.

Well in QM2007 it works great. You do not have to enter 0 because it defaults to that. So it never gets in the way. But it is very handy when adding account charges to bank accounts or interest charges to for credit cards. 

They should take their cues from QM2007 which worst painlessly; it is there if you need it and stays out of the way if you don't.

As it stands, if forces you to have to enter it before, or accept a download without a match. With this feature, you have complete flexibility, so if you do manual entry and you do not enter it before reconciling, or if you download and you want to match it, you are not forced to exit reconciliation. 

It is such a simple feature to add, and it is practical. I make use of it frequently because I often have account charges but not always, so I do not have to stop my recon flow just because I see a charge after I start.

• William Day
    William Day Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reconciliation Enhancement.

When reconciling an account, rather than manually entering a transaction that reflects the 'interest earned' on an account, why not include an 'interest earned' box in the area where the closing balance is presented & automatically create and 'mark' as reconciled the automatically generated interest transaction?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ability to add service charge or interest during reconcile to Quicken for Mac.

One reason to consider is that the date that the interest is earned (typically at the end of the month) may not be (and if one is doing it against the paper statement, almost never is the same day of the reconciliation. (They could add another date box on the panel perhaps.)

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Reconciliation Enhancement.
  • vzts4q
    vzts4q Member ✭✭
    I have been using Quicken since the DOS  days. Just got my first MAC and when I went to reconcile a savings account I thought where the heck are the fields for fees or interest. Hopefully they bring this feature back.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It's certainly handy to have right in the reconcile window, but it's also not difficult to click Command-N and enter the transaction(s) you need once a month. Again, I agree that the old way was nicer; I'm only saying that it adds just a couple seconds to use it the way it currently works, so in the long list of feature requests for the developers to add, I understand that this probably isn't a high priority.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Caprice
    Caprice Member
    There is no reason to eliminate the startup page with the service charges and interest. This makes more steps and harder to reconcile.
  • Caprice
    Caprice Member
    Hey Jacob, it should be a higher priority.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Vote on Ideas

Ideas are brought to the attention of the programmers for consideration.

If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please don't forget to vote on it. Locate the big blue yellow box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count.

Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.
    The little triangle changes from grey to black black to grey when you have registered your vote.

Every vote counts!

• Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.