Upgraded 2007 Mac to 2017 Mac, and data file won't open on Sierra

Yesterday, successfully used Quicken 2007 on Mac #1 running Sierra.  Overnight, migrated all data to Mac #2 running Sierra, and Quicken 2007 wouldn't open.  So, purchased Quicken 2017 Mac and loaded it on Mac #2 (V 4.2.1).  Followed Quicken's published steps to convert my data file from 2007 to 2017.  When I attempt to open the converted file in 2017, there's no data.  Also, the 2007 data file was 8.6MB, and the 2017 data file is 2.4MB.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    I forgot to kindly ask for help.  :)
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    This sounds too obvious, but the usual cause of this is converting the wrong file. I would confirm which file you are trying to convert. This may be difficult because you said 2007 doesn't run under Sierra. It should, unless you had a very old version of 2007 running on a Snow Leopard or earlier based Mac.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm in the same bind as Valerie, but I'm upgrading from QuickBooks for Mc 2013.  If/when I upgrade, will I be able to open my previous data file?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Cannot get my Data from Quicken essentials 2007 to the new Mac 2017 ?? What is going on and how can we talk to someone ????? Poor Serive for Sure!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Possibly worthless, but an update . . . :) 

John, my original post said that 2007 DID run under Sierra on Mac #1.  But not on Mac #2 (also Sierra), which was confounding.  When I posted, 2007 didn't run on Mac #2 (Sierra), and although 2017 ran, it wouldn't populate the file data.

Bottom line, I think the Sierra/2007/2017 mix is very buggy.  Because after playing around with it, the file opens using BOTH 2007 and 2017, on Mac #2, under Sierra!

I will say, rather than using the data file that was brought over when I migrated my system from Mac #1 to Mac #2, today I copied the data file from Mac #1 onto a thumb drive, and loaded it onto Mac #2.  Don't know if that made the difference because it was the same file.

All I can say is, keep trying, and maybe it'll decide to work, like it did for me.

An aside: what a shock, going from 2007 to 2017!  I don't find the 2017 layout to be as easy to use, or as intuitive.  I hope to get used to it over time. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Valerie said:

John, my original post said that 2007 DID run under Sierra on Mac #1.  But not on Mac #2 (also Sierra), which was confounding.  When I posted, 2007 didn't run on Mac #2 (Sierra), and although 2017 ran, it wouldn't populate the file data.

Bottom line, I think the Sierra/2007/2017 mix is very buggy.  Because after playing around with it, the file opens using BOTH 2007 and 2017, on Mac #2, under Sierra!

I will say, rather than using the data file that was brought over when I migrated my system from Mac #1 to Mac #2, today I copied the data file from Mac #1 onto a thumb drive, and loaded it onto Mac #2.  Don't know if that made the difference because it was the same file.

All I can say is, keep trying, and maybe it'll decide to work, like it did for me.

An aside: what a shock, going from 2007 to 2017!  I don't find the 2017 layout to be as easy to use, or as intuitive.  I hope to get used to it over time. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad it worked out.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Patricia Hoyt
    Patricia Hoyt Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I am having problems too but only after I updated the second "Sierra" update today (10/25/16).  I get the error "unable to load file".  I was able to use my file after I uploaded Sierra but not after today when Sierra starting moving all my files to iCloud.  What gives?  Is someone from Intuit following this post(s)?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

I am having problems too but only after I updated the second "Sierra" update today (10/25/16).  I get the error "unable to load file".  I was able to use my file after I uploaded Sierra but not after today when Sierra starting moving all my files to iCloud.  What gives?  Is someone from Intuit following this post(s)?

Patricia,

1) Quicken is no longer part of Intuit, so it's certain no one from Intuit is following along! ;)

2) But Quicken doesn't generally respond to comments in this forum. If you want help or response from Quicken, you should contact Quicken Support (via online chat, which is available 24x7, or via phone, available 12 hour/day weekdays only but may give better help on an issue like this).

3) For the future, I always recommend waiting at least a few days or a week after a new macOS release comes out before installing it, specifically to see if there are widespread problems reported or if any key software you use breaks.

4) If Apple breaks something in a macOS update, Quicken (or other software developers) won't always have a fix prepared, tested and released within a day or two; it sometimes takes awhile to isolate the problem, to determine whether it's an Apple bug or a Quicken bug, and to get an update coded, test and released.

5) Quicken does NOT support having your data file in the cloud. (EDIT: Well, I should say that *in the past* it was not supported; now that this is standard macOS behavior, it may be supported, but I haven't seen anything from Quicken about this one way or the other yet.) The default location for the data file is a folder that will never be moved to the cloud. But if you've moved your data file to your desktop or Documents folder, as many people do, then you need to make sure NOT to enable the Sierra feature to move those folders to iCloud. (EDIT: the iCloud Drive feature was OFF by default when Sierra first came out, but I've read that it is turned on by default in the .1 release that came out this week.)

I am not using Sierra yet, so take the following suggestion as an educated guess rather than a proven result: find your Quicken data file in the folder now stored on iCloud. Either turn off the iCloud Drive feature, or create a new folder inside your Home folder on your Mac and move your Quicken data file there so it is back to being stored locally on your Mac. Hopefully nothing got corrupted in your data file in the move to iCloud, and you will now be able to use it again. Double-click the data file, or drag it over the Quicken icon in your Dock to lunch Quicken. If that doesn't work, you can post back here to describe exactly what is happening and what message you are getting.

P.S. In the future, if you have a problem or question you'd like to post about, it's a good idea to start a NEW post (at the top of the page) rather than adding your question onto an existing topic (this one was about moving form Quicken 2007 to 2017). It will be seen by more Quicken experts, and you'll be more likely to get helpful responses that way.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Patricia Hoyt
    Patricia Hoyt Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

I'm very sorry that I didn't post correctly.  I'm new at this (obviously).  Thank you for your detailed and kind response.

As you correctly stated, I did not intentionally move my documents to iCloud.  I had to call Apple and have them help me move everything back to my computer.  I fear that my data file is corrupt.

You said to move the data file into the Quicken icon...I tried that and now my data file is stuck in the Applications folder!  Any time I try and move it, it only moves an alias copy.  So now it looks like I have an additional problem!  Yikes!!!!!!

Here is my problem: after updating to 10.12.1 and after getting my documents and files back onto my computer (out of iCloud), I double clicked on my quicken file and the error message I got was "unable to open file".

Now that my data file is in the Applications folder, how do I get this back to the Contents folder?  This is a mess I'm in.

I do back up my computer periodically.  Should I try and restore the quicken file(s) with my back up?

Thank you for helping me.  I tried to do the online chat with Quicken but kept getting disconnected.
  • Patricia Hoyt
    Patricia Hoyt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

Thought I would give you an update....after over an hour with Quicken online chat, I was able to finally resolve the issue.  I had to use my back up hard drive (luckily I had recently done this) and move the data file (the one from the contents folder) onto the desktop.  Once I moved the data file, I was able to open the correct Quicken file!  We tried so many different things and finally this worked.

Thank you for allowing me to "vent" my frustrations here.  I was a bit panicked when I couldn't get years of data to open.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Glad you got it working!
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Elizabeth Hoke
    Elizabeth Hoke Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Could I ask about your earlier post; #5 mentioned people keeping their data files on the desktop or in Documents. Where is the correct place to keep your Quicken file with separate accounts? I've always had it in Documents. I am running QM 2007 and haven't upgraded to Sierra because I don't dare! Thanks.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Here is a recent Quicken article that mentions this: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-mac-slow-or-freezes-when-updating-transactions-mac-os-1012-s...

Bottom line is that you can save the data file anywhere where iCloud is not syncing the file/folder to the cloud. 

You can designate what folders get synced. By default the Documents folder gets synced. So either you exclude the Documents folder or you move your data file somewhere else.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

Before upgrading to Sierra, I moved my Q Mac 2007 data files from the Documents folder to a different folder on the desktop. (Did the same w/ Microsoft Office files in Documents folder.) After upgrading I moved everything back into the Documents folder. Thus they were protected from some effect of the upgrade to Sierra. I previously experimented w/o doing this on a different HD and Q Mac would not open ANY of the files. Files were "readable" only if I moved them out of the Documents folder prior to updating to Sierra and Q Mac 2007 worked fine. I move these files back to the Documents folder after the update. Note:When I placed a working file from a backup onto the updated drive  w/o usable QM 2007 files, THAT file opened up fine. That told me Sierra would work with QM 2007.
  • John Prewitt
    John Prewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Valerie said:

There is a bug with Mac OS when dragging or copying Q2007 data files between between Mac computers.  You must move these file via a USB drive.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find:

and many others.

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

I am still running Q Mac 2007 under Sierra and eventually will convert to 2017.  My question is: Should I do it yet?    It looks like people are having a lot of trouble and many of the comments are months old.   Would it be better to wait until things are more stable?
    Thank you!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

and many others.

Also.  Can I run the 2 versions in parallel for a while to be sure it works?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

and many others.

I am still running Q Mac 2007 under Sierra and eventually will convert to 2017.  My question is: Should I do it yet?    It looks like people are having a lot of trouble and many of the comments are months old.   Would it be better to wait until things are more stable?
    Thank you!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

and many others.

As long as you have QM2007 LC then you can run both side by side on different data files. As for whether you should upgrade, only you can answer. 

I suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2017 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, investment lot management, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released in v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Currently, the main advantages of QM2017 over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that QM2017 is being supported until April 30, 2020 whereas it has been announced that security fixes have ceased for QM2007 since QM2017 is released...see http://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016 yet online access will continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

You may want to review the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for MacAdd your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-mac-release-notes
    Also read some of the Fixes and Improvements that are being released soon here:
    http://www.quicken.com/upcoming-product-fixes-and-improvements
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

If you find that QM2017 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to continue to run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.12 Sierra (so far).

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

and many others.

Just discovered that the link above to the "List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin..."was broken. It is now fixed.

• John Prewitt
    John Prewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    For the pass 2-3 years Mac OS does not move large Q 2007 files between computers correctly.  You must move them via a USB drive or use Dropbox.  I don't use iCloud either.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

For the pass 2-3 years Mac OS does not move large Q 2007 files between computers correctly.  You must move them via a USB drive or use Dropbox.  I don't use iCloud either.

As for the OP, the file size is only 8.6MB so should not be the source of the problem regardless.

What size file are you moving that runs into a problem? What version of Mac OS? 

• John Prewitt
    John Prewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Most files above 10Mb gives me problems.  I always run the latest version of Mac OS.  I am at Sierra now.  This problem will be mute once I update pass High Sierra, since future versions of Mac OS will no longer support 32 bit applications such as Quicken 2007.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

That is very odd. 

BTW, High Sierra will continue to support 32-bit applications. What is changing is that Apple will no longer allow distributing 32-bit apps via the app store, first original versions, then also updates. So this is an iterative move in preparation for when Mac OS will stop supporting 32-bit apps but not on initial release of High Sierra.

• John Prewitt
    John Prewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

I did say "pass High Sierra" 32-bit applications will not be supported.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

OK, thx. I wasn't 100% sure that is what you meant, so thought I would clarify. ;-)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

Copying the file via a USB drive, instead of a network connection, fixed my problem trying to switch from a Mac to the Mac OS inside of a VMWare Virtual Machine (High Sierra)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

What version Quicken are you trying to run in a VM with High Sierra? 

• John Prewitt
    John Prewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

The problem is not which version of Quicken one is trying to run in a VM.  The problem is moving a Quicken 2007 data package via the network. The OS cannot move large Quicken data file correctly. If you inspect the package contents of the Quicken 2007 file you will find that the size of files are not the same. For years the only way to move such a data package is via a USB drive.  I know, because I have already notified Apple but since Quicken 2007 is a 32 bit application don't expect Apple to fix their problem.  Just move the Quicken 2007 data package with a USB drive.
This discussion has been closed.