Additional option for frequency of occurrence on bill reminders (75 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

How many reminders do you have?  Surely the list isn't that long.
    Don't know about Dan but I have over 150 (not a typo).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Last night I discovered Manage Reminders, which isn't so obvious from the Home page that shows bills, but is more so from the Bills tab which I seldom had used (since I had it on the Home page).  Manage Reminders does make it easier to find them, because they can be sorted by Payee.

How many reminders do I have?  85, at present... but I had to count them manually

And the Manage Reminders doesn't allow sorting by account... it doesn't even show the account(s).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

And I see the main area of Bills tab allows filtering by account, but that is not available on the Home page.   And I see Manage Reminders is available under "Options" on the home page reminder list.  So things are not as bad as I feared, but there is a distinct feeling of inconsistency here, in all these different interfaces.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Glenn, try one of the other views in Manage Bill and Income Reminders window. At least one of the views lists the account and/or allows filtering by account.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Ok...so this thread has drifted off into a problem solving discussion not related to the original post. It really should have been taken to a new thread.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I get paid daily as I run a website with subscriptions and they are deposited from VISA in a daily basis. I can' plan the future if I can't input those daily incomes.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I agree that reminder frequencies need more options.  I have a bill that has been a quarterly payment. They just informed us that it will now be every 4 months.  No way to accurately adjust frequency.  Need an option like a calendar recurrence... every XX months/weeks/days.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Susie, are you using Quicken for Windows or Mac. In the Windows version you can certainly set up a "repeat every four months" option, but I don't know about the MAC version.

If you can't see how to set it up I can post some screenshots later to explain.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

You can in QMac too. Not obvious but you select the Monthly recurrence and there you can specify how many months. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Here is a screenshot from Quicken for Windows.  It shows every two months, but getting every four months is just a matter of changing the selection.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Thank you!  I should have known that. I saw monthly so didn't even click it to see additional options. It's all good now.
  • Crashmeister
    Crashmeister Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Please add 45 and 60 day options to the number of days to display drop down menu for scheduled transactions.

It is very annoying to have to select 90 instead of 45 or 60 (30 is too short) when displaying scheduled transactions at the top of an account. The result with 90 is far too many and the result with 30 is too few.

Please make like Goldilocks and give us the options that are 'just right'.

Thanks.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    While waiting for this request, have you tried the option to show next in series? For me, that is "just right".
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I would ask for the time to be user definable to precisely the # of days, as is possible in QM2007.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Crashmeister
    Crashmeister Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    RickO said:

While waiting for this request, have you tried the option to show next in series? For me, that is "just right".

Does not work for me. I like to see to the end of the following month once the current month gets to the 15th.
  • Crashmeister
    Crashmeister Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

I would ask for the time to be user definable to precisely the # of days, as is possible in QM2007.

That would also work. I'd take either one.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

I just noticed a need for yet another reminder frequency, Last Workday of the month.

I have a need for a reminder that can be set to the last day of the month, excluding weekends or holidays.
    So, if for example, this reminder is due on April 30th, 2017, which falls on a weekend, the reminder needs to be executed on the preceding workday, Friday, April 28th, 2017.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Good addition.  That means that a user would also need to be able to modify the "holiday" list due to religious or country of use.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

> "...need to be able to modify the "holiday" list due to religious or country of use."

Why?
    It's my understanding that Quicken is designed primarily (solely?) for the US market (and Canadian market in the Canadian version).
    Therefore there's no need to cater to foreign calendars ... unless Quicken Inc. begins to work on a new worldwide product designed for an international audience, with international calendars, Unicode character set support, support for currencies requiring routine transaction in excess of 100 million currency units, etc., etc.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Yes but not all the holidays are the same for Canada and US and currently there is no setting to differentiate the two in the Mac version...of course the Windows version has separate versions for each country.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

The US is a country of many religions and they have different days that they observe as holidays and need to be worked around for personal reasons.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

No offense, but forget religious holidays. It's the banking and federal holidays you need to be concerned about for making your payments on time in the US banking environment.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Not if your religion prevents you from conducting business on certain days, for the stricter ones, updating your Quicken is conducting business, so you would need to schedule to do things around those restrictions.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    At least for me, what I would be most useful is the "last workday of the month."
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Workday == non-holiday weekday.  Seems the most useful missing option to me, perhaps even "2nd to last worday", etc.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    How is Q supposed to know what your workdays are?  My banking holidays (before I retired) were much more plentiful than my wife, who's in medicine, receives.  She gets Jan 1, July 4, Thanksgiving and Christmas off.  Anything else is vacation.

AND, if your non-workday schedules are quite different, how should they be recorded in Q?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    It could do best it can, i.e. local national holidays.  In G.B. I think they are called "bank holidays."  However, good point. My Mac calendar already has holidays marked, and I just noticed that the Quicken calendar does not.  I had assumed that Quicken would localize itself along with language and configuration of the computer but seems I was wrong. hmm...
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

It could do best it can, i.e. local national holidays.  In G.B. I think they are called "bank holidays."  However, good point. My Mac calendar already has holidays marked, and I just noticed that the Quicken calendar does not.  I had assumed that Quicken would localize itself along with language and configuration of the computer but seems I was wrong. hmm...

I don't live in the UK, my wife's holidays should have indicated that.   I'm a retired Systems VP for Wells Fargo ... i.e. a "banker"

I'll also point out that I know many people who work 4, 10 hour days, a week.  Or even work just 3 days a week. 

SO, all in all, your suggestion would result in a nightmare of coding ... or in user maintenance of their calendar.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

At least for me, what I would be most useful is the "last workday of the month."

Actually, if you see my post at the very top here

this is VERY feasible...Though not shown explicitly, you can select Last Day (of month) and select Weekday. BusyCal figured it out, therefore, Quicken should be able to also...
    Of course, taking local holidays into account would be more complicated, but the basics are easy...
    For the odd times it does not fit local holidays, it just would require an occasional adjustment...no need to over-engineer this feature.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Yes, taking local holidays into account would be more complicated, but the basics are easy...For the odd times it does not fit local holidays, it just would require an occasional adjustment...no need to over-engineer this feature.

So I suggest just sticking with the generic ID of different key days of month etc....I recommend what is suggested in this IDEA: New frequency set-up for Scheduled Reminders.

Click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.