sync with 2 computers

Unknown
Unknown Member
Was running Quicken 2017 on my desktop. I wanted to switch to a laptop for all further quicken use. I loaded quicken 2017 on the laptop and backed up - transferred successfully.  I used the laptop for 2 days, and then forgot and synced online on the desktop. Quickly realized my error, and switched back to the desktop, which I've used since. My question is: what happens to those few transactions that I synced to the laptop before I accidentally switched back? Are they lost, or did the desktop pick them back up on the next sync. I'm holding off switching to the laptop till I find out. Thanks.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    "Are they lost, or did the desktop pick them back up on the next sync. "

The best way to find out is to start Quicken on both computers and compare the contents of the registers that would have gotten new transactions.

Chances are you got everything, but the only way to know for sure is to do the comparison.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

The best way to find out is to start Quicken on both computers and compare the contents of the registers that would have gotten new transactions.

Chances are you got everything, but the only way to know for sure is to do the comparison.

thanks for the reply, but I'm trying to avoid comparing 100's of transactions and hoping I don't miss any. I guess to phrase the question better I would ask if syncing with the bank marks transactions so that when you return to sync again those transactions have been marked and will not be downloaded again... Or, quicken compares it's data with the online version and downloads any transactions that aren't current represented in the register. If the first version is the case, than I will have to manually add those lost transactions to quicken myself. If the second scenario is true, than quicken will download the missing items again, since they aren't represented in the registry. Does that make more sense? I'm trying to avoid a several hour procedure if possible. Thanks.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

The bank doesn't care how many times your download a transaction.  So, NO the bank doesn't "mark" what transactions have downloaded.

BUT, why can't you just go back a month or so in each file and compare the balances?  If they agree, then you know that any changes are after that point.  If they don't agree, go back another month and repear.

There's no need to compare "100's of transactions" ... just the recent ones.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

To explain the process, there is a field in each downloaded transaction called, FITId (Financial Institution Transactions Id) which is supposed to be unique for each transaction.

Quicken remembers the FITId of every transaction downloaded into an account (each account has its own memory) so that if a transaction is downloaded a second time into the same account, it is ignored in the subsequent downloads.

So, if a transaction is downloaded and then deleted, doing a second download will not make it available again, it is purposefully ignored by design.

I'm not sure which of your scenarios that agrees with since I got lost reading them.  I might suggest that in the future, you use a carriage return every once in awhile to provide breaks and white space and improve readability.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

For notacpa, I didn't ask if the bank marked transactions, I was asking if QUICKEN, the program in question, actually marks each item. This was answered by splasher more exactly.

(White space included for splasher, who is sensitive to lack of white space)

I think splasher did answer my question, even after wading through 3 challenging paragraphs of very tightly spaced text., but not before handing out some helpful advice on text formatting. Good show...

Quite a few transactions occurred between when I synced the first time and accidentally synced on the desktop. I was trying to avoid doing it by hand as that seemed most likely to produce errors. Oh well.

I do appreciate you volunteering your time to answer, but hopefully any future questions will be handled by someone that actually works for quicken with a much higher potential to deliver a satisfied user, which considering the troll like comments is pretty far from what actually occurred.

If your goal is to help users overcome their software challenges using quicken and leave knowing that they have an avenue they can count on in the future , you may want to take a break, step back and reassess what you're here for. Just a thought..
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

You CLAIM that you asked is Q marks the transactions ... but you didn't actually write that: "I would ask if syncing with the bank marks transactions"  You NEVER stated "does Q mark the transactions".   We can only respond to what you write ... not what you're thinking.

So, my question was 100R% correct FOR WHAT YOU WROTE!

OR, are you trying to do a Trumpian re-write of history to suit your own needs?

And, you still need to compare your registers to find the differences.  No one is going to do that for you.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

If you have Quicken running on two separate and distinct computers, when you perform a One Step Update the transactions downloaded are independent of the computer.

So, if you download on the desktop, it will look at any "duplicate" transactions on the desktop and download only new transactions.

When you download on the laptop, it will also look for any "duplicate" transactions on the laptop (irregardless of what is on the desktop) and download transactions that are new to the laptop.

The same reasoning goes for restoring a backup file.  Downloading transactions again will enter "new" transactions from the date of the last download from that backup...not from the last time you used Quicken.

Feel free to download on both your desktop and laptop.  

I have Quicken 2017 in one partition on my laptop and Quicken 2016 in another partition.  I can download to both as the download process sees both versions as independent copies of Quicken.  If I download every day with Quicken 2017, but only download once a week into Quicken 2016, all the transactions still come into Quicken 2016 for the past week. 

Of, of course, you could always backup one data file (the newest) and restore it on the other machine with the older data. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

Thank you dental pain for the wonderful answer to my question. Now I know how to proceed, and I really appreciate the help. Thanks so much, Scot
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

Notacpa, you need to find another hobby more suited to your temperament. Attacking users on a HELP FORUM seems counter productive, to say the least. Please take a page out of dental pain's playbook before you retire from service...
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

Scot, your comments are out of line. No one picked on you.

You should note that this is a user to user based support forum - the majority of answers are provided for free by your fellow Quicken users. You will get far fewer responses if you are rude and snarky to the folks answering your questions.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    splasher said:

mshiggins, I realize that volunteers work this space. This is an important subject to me or I would't have taken time to post. I contrast the answer given by user dental pain to the answers given by notacpa and splasher, both suggesting I manually check transactions, which as I suspected and confirmed by dental pain's response, turned out to be completely unnecessary. Splasher gave me advice about white space and notacpa accused me of a Trump rewrite of history...ON A HELP FORUM! Snarky?
    Since I'm not accustomed to this kind of response on a help forum I thought I'd speak out. My bad...  Hopefully, if I need help in the future, this type of encounter will be a bad memory, as other responses I've read lead me to believe this is a one off.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Dental Pain (love the User Name), are you running both instances on the same platform (Mac or Windows) or different? I'm "testing" Mac 2017 moving from Windows 2016 but before I do, I want to be sure I can keep both updated with the same transactions.

Appreciate your insight.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    chris said:

Dental Pain (love the User Name), are you running both instances on the same platform (Mac or Windows) or different? I'm "testing" Mac 2017 moving from Windows 2016 but before I do, I want to be sure I can keep both updated with the same transactions.

Appreciate your insight.

I think your biggest issue will be if your financial institutions support both the Win and Mac versions of Quicken for downloading of transaction.

Just remember that if you don't like the results in the Mac version, there is a 60 day refund policy for Mac 2017 and earlier:
    Quicken Return Policy 

I suggest getting it as a download so that there is nothing (as in CD) that you have to send back.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    chris said:

Appreciate your insight.

Thanks! So far, I haven't had any issues with downloading transactions on the Mac side (should have clarified I already bought it (download). My biggest issue, which I posted on another thread, is that the Calendar feature on the Mac edition isn't great.

First of all, it shows all transactions, including past transactions that are already in the register. No way to get rid of those on the calendar view.

Second, in concert with that, is that 'past due' scheduled transactions don't seem to be factored into the forecasted balance on the calendar. This includes scheduled transactions for that day if they haven't been entered. It is almost as if Quicken 'assumes' that past transactions that were scheduled but not entered aren't going to happen at all.

Neither of these things were an issue in Windows 2016 version, and I've gotten so used to it that I fear I'll end up thinking I have more money in my account than I do.

I scratch my head trying to understand why things like this are different from windows to mac. I get that the UI/UX is different, but not this sort of thing. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    chris said:

Appreciate your insight.

BTW, the scheduled transaction and past due issue does not exist in QM2007. So this suggests an issue that should be brought to Quicken's attention.

I highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers. This will help make the transition easier for you to have the features you are used to in QWin end up in the latest version.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    chris said:

Appreciate your insight.

Does QM2007 even have a calendar with forecasted balances? I was of the impression it didn't. But that was several versions back. I'll have a look at the link.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    chris said:

Appreciate your insight.

sorry...you are correct that the forecasted balance does exist on the calendar for QM2007. I was thinking about the Forecast graph. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.