From Eric Dunn, CEO of Quicken: Letter to the Quicken Community about the Membership Plan (November

123457»

Comments

• John44
    John44 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Geneo56 said:

Well the move to establish new UserID was not flawless. I spent 4 hours trying to get the accounts to log on and update and by internet posts there were thousands of others with the same issue than after a couple days working..I had to do it all over again. NOW having said that....The original agreement between the software maker and the user on my 2017 Premier clearly states it will be supported through 2020 . The best I can tell this is binding with the new owner of the software. I expect them to honor it and if not it will be class action time. Just because a company is sold or spun off does not nullify the user agreement.

Support is only good to help you do what you don't know how to do.  If there is a programming problem there isn't much they can do.  One person told me that it won't be fixed unless more people have the problem.  Another person told me I might like MINT better.  The support group really needs more training.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    I can honestly say that I have never been more sorry to have upgraded a product.

I've been a Quicken user for many years and this is the worst I've ever seen.  EVERY time I try to log in I'm forced to create a new password.  Now it won't even let me open my old file without adding my bank.  First, I am not going to create a new password every time.  Second, I don't WANT TO add my bank account.  Will someone please advise me how to gt my money back.  I'm sure as HECK not going to subscribe and keep paying for this kind of "service"!
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Dave said:

I can honestly say that I have never been more sorry to have upgraded a product.

I've been a Quicken user for many years and this is the worst I've ever seen.  EVERY time I try to log in I'm forced to create a new password.  Now it won't even let me open my old file without adding my bank.  First, I am not going to create a new password every time.  Second, I don't WANT TO add my bank account.  Will someone please advise me how to gt my money back.  I'm sure as HECK not going to subscribe and keep paying for this kind of "service"!

https://www.quicken.com/support/Terms...
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Dave said:

Dan - Thank you. That was quick!
  • dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The pricing is too high.  You should have one quicken and it be $40 per year with option for monthly billing for those on budget. Bam Done. Now I have to figure out what I want to do.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    mshiggins said:

Eric, thank you for the update and continuing to listen to and act on customer feedback.

I am concerned about the new 1 Quicken ID per subscription model. I currently manage my own data file and several data files for others, each data file with its own QID. I am not pirating or sharing the software with others - Quicken is installed only on my computer.

I do not want to manage the other people's files under my QID as they are separate tax entities and should remain completely separate.

With the new subscription model I will have to purchase several subscriptions to keep all the data properly separated. From a cost standpoint, I can't justify continuing to use Quicken to manage finances for myself and the others I am responsible for.

This suggestion has been posted asking for a change to the 1 QID per subscription model:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

I hope you will monitor this suggestion as it collects votes and comments.

@ProGolfer if you are paying for access to the application, why should Quicken care how many people you are managing? If you are a single user not violating the terms of use by giving out the serial number, Quicken should not care. This would be equivalent to me having to buy a copy of Photoshop for every customer's photo I edited using that product.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Pricing is way too high. $4 per month is a 100% replacement cost per year. For Photoshop I pay $10 a month for what was a $600 product, That is a 20% replacement cost over 5 years. That is more in line with commercial software maintenance costs. I'll use Quicken until 2020, unless I write a new program to replace it. I mainly use it for the expense graphing. Excel or Access and some data driven java scripting (D3.js) can replace Quicken. Maybe I can make some change on this, there is not many replacement products unfortunately. Good luck new company.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Pricing is way too high. $4 per month is a 100% replacement cost per year. For Photoshop I pay $10 a month for what was a $600 product, That is a 20% replacement cost over 5 years. That is more in line with commercial software maintenance costs. I'll use Quicken until 2020, unless I write a new program to replace it. I mainly use it for the expense graphing. Excel or Access and some data driven java scripting (D3.js) can replace Quicken. Maybe I can make some change on this, there is not many replacement products unfortunately. Good luck new company.

My cost for deluxe was $2.81 per month (Amazon $76 for 27 months)....plus 20GB Dropbox (priceless!) And priority help desk access. I did not turn on auto-renew...when 2020 gets here, I'll reassess how they have done :-)
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    dfatq said:

The pricing is too high.  You should have one quicken and it be $40 per year with option for monthly billing for those on budget. Bam Done. Now I have to figure out what I want to do.

See my post below...mine was $76 for 27 months....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Funny reading some of the comments here about how this is a good value.  I'm one of those people that upgrades generally every other year.  I buy Quicken Premier for Windows.  The last couple purchases I made were:

Quicken 2017 $59.22
    Quicken 2015 $55.77
    Quicken 2012 $47.80

So my annual cost at worst over my last 3 upgrades was $30/yr.

So far it looks like the best price I could get with Quicken 2018 right now is from Staples for $99.99 for two years.  So that's $50/yr.

Whatever, I guess, I'm not gonna quibble over $20/year.   I'll probably upgrade to Quicken 2020.

I still don't see anything in Quicken 2018 that would compel me to upgrade.

I have no interest in using Quicken's Bill Pay.  I had at one time long ago used it but it was a rip off at 9.99 /  month and switched to using my bank.  Given all the issues Quicken has had with just about everything I wouldn't trust them to manage my bill payments.

I'm a little annoyed that they are now including Bill Pay in the subscription and bragging about what a great deal that is.  I guess that's why the software is more expensive for a feature I'll never use.

Same with the included 5gb of Dropbox.  Who is asking for this stuff?  More gimmicks as far as I'm concerned.

Fix the damn bugs already.  Why is this so hard for them to do?

The value to me is that Quicken is a 1 click update and bill pay, plus all my investments update at the same time. Over the years I have developed multiple investment accounts, and my spending and investing dashboards are all in one place. Over 22 years of one bank buying another (I think that's 5 banks), I have the majority of my spending history in one register. I can't even remember the last time I mailed a bill payment. 

I buy Premier every 3 years and I'm good. It seemed a little disingenuous to do that with no real additions to functionality, a few tweaks here and there, the intro of new bugs on each release, and an increasingly limited choice of banks willing to do live updates for free. But, for that $$ cost I have a granular spend history by category I will use to help plan my retirement. I'm probably spoiled by the ease of use and wealth of data.  I've put up with most of the bugs and annoyances because none of them have been deal breakers.  I'm willing to consider continuing under a subscription basis assuming fewer bugs, improved reporting, and possibly more useful features, but only at a nominal increase.  Going from $75 - $90 every three years to $150 ($100 for a 2 year sub is a much better deal than Amazon's 27 month deal) is probably more like an extra $20 / yr. That's not the end of the world for me to retain all that data and preserve an off line bill pay experience.

That said, I've looked for alternatives when Intuit owned Quicken and there really wasn't anything available. Most were primitive and not fully featured. Things have changed. Quicken finally has competition from software on a personal platform for the first time since MSFT killed off Money.  They've had a lot of competition from cloud platforms and banks make things pretty easy these days.  Taking a picture of a check with your phone is an easier, faster deposit than driving to a bank, but I rarely have to make deposits, so those are just gingerbread for me.  I'm keeping my eyes open to alternatives, but nobody is going to import a Quicken file.  I have no reason to believe the new owners are not sincere in their intentions, but it's all about execution.  It may be a bit of a dead end, since millenials are not an emerging market for Quicken based on their connectivity habits.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

I get far more than the price in value from Quicken and I support move to subscription model/rolling improvements. What I don't understand is why it's cheaper for a new Quicken purchaser to get it cheaper in retail store for two year subscription than it is for a long time user to get into subscription model? Am I missing something or is this is a bit of a slap in the face to long time users? MYM->Money->Quicken.

The Best Buy offer ($100 for 24 months) is a better deal on Premier (vs $129 at Amazon) unless you need the extra cloud storage they bundle in.  The $129 price is essentially $10/mo to tack 3 months on to the end of your sub.  Didn't look at other packages like Deluxe.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Many Users who purchased Quicken from Intuit / Quicken, no longer have access to those programs. Will the past purchases, be moved to their new Quicken ID? Quicken 2015, Quicken 2016 and Quicken 2017?

When you sign into Intuit / Quicken with the old Intuit ID, it takes you back to Quicken.com to Sign in and when you sign in the purchases associated with your old Intuit User ID, have not been moved over to the new Quicken ID.

This includes Reward Copies as well.

Not to mention Canadian Customers.

I started quicken in 1996 and upgraded every two or three years. I finally got used to getting my updates from down loads and I was prepared to accept you new subscription until I read you egotistical arrogant letter. I will definitely check out your competition. This is nothing more and nothing less than an attempt to double your income for doing nothing of value while lowering your costs.  You sound like a drug company. 
  • Quicken Kathryn
    edited November 2017
    Hi All,
    Thank you all for your feedback and discussion--many points have been raised here, both for and against the membership model, and all of this feedback has been passed to Eric and our leadership team.

Because the comments here have extensively covered the points, to prevent the thread from becoming repetitive, I'm closing the post--thank you all for your input!

Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Rick Brenner
    Rick Brenner Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Subscription only is a rip off. They are going to lose this customer.

Subscription only is a rip off. They are going to lose this customer. I thought they would improve customer service after separating from Intuit. Instead they are a rip off organization WORSE than Intuit, and that's saying a lot. Good bye Quicken. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I just wanted to register my complaint concerning the new Quicken business model.....

I've used Quicken for most of my adult life--at least 20 years.  And it looks like Quicken 2017 Deluxe will be my last purchase.  I do NOT support the Quicken annual subscription model, so will be looking for alternative software for the day that my Quicken 2017 no longer works.  I think this is a terrible corporate decision.  Good luck
  • Tom Byrnes
    Tom Byrnes Member
    edited February 2019
    The fundamental problem with this entire situation is that you have fundamentally changed what was a 3 year subscription for the online services into a 1 year subscription for the software: AT THE SAME PRICE.
    Your support has also gone to [removed].
    Typical Private Equity firm. "Extract Value" by charging more for less, and reducing support and quality.
    That only gives you enough inertia until all your loyal customers (I've been a user since 1992) leave, then there is no more value. Perhaps you can find a fool to sell the business to in the meantime. Symantec and CA have a long history of overpaying for declining assets. Maybe that is your strategy.
    Alternatively, you could actually successfully transition to a SaaS model by providing equivalent pricing (3 year term subscription at what the price was for the 2017 versions) and marketing add-on apps and services, like brokerage, wealth management, etc. You have a unique position in terms of being able (with appropriate opt-in) to profile your users and micro-target products and services that they will actually value.
    That would give you a growing business that could interest real investors, and maybe even become a fintech unicorn.

This discussion has been closed.