Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we're releasing Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x.  

There are 3 main areas we focused on in this release.  
  • Fixed stability issues throughout the product including fixing the issues brought up here in the forums:
    • We fixed the All Transactions view and added back the Net Worth balance in the upper right corner.
    • Improved the Investment Portfolio View by getting the Cash row to appear in the right place and starting to get the column widths to be saved although I found an issue in this last night so it doesn't always remember it.
    • Allowed a security type to be changed from a Bond to any other type and also added the symbol field to Bonds so customers can add CUSIP information or other data.
    • We also fixed a number of crashing bugs including one that would occur when importing a Web Connect file.
  • Made moderate improvements to Bills & Income and Reporting:
    • Every Bill under Bills has a menu that can be accessed by clicking on the button with the 3 dots.  In this release, we added the ability to Pay Bills and Edit Details from this menu.
    • For reports, we added the ability to define the columns to display in Transaction Reports and a new Total row that appears at the bottom of the report.
    • Also under reports, clicking on an amount in the Summary and Comparison reports now bring up a report that is based on the new transaction report.  This fixes some of the inconsistencies that would appear when using the old transaction report in the way transactions were grouped.  Previously transactions were grouped by positive or negative amounts (money in vs money out).  The new report uses the Expense and Income settings of the category.  We are temporarily losing the ability to drill down to the transaction in the register but we'll add this back in the next update.
  • Improve the product for Canadian customers joining our new Canadian membership plans:
    • The defaults for the product will be based more on Home Currency vs the US Dollar like previously.
    • Features that aren't available to Canadian customers are now hidden so they don't have to deal with the extra clutter.
    • Investments types now include TFSA, RRSP and RESP.  
    • Unfortunately, we didn't quite finish Canadian Category Tax Line items yet so we've hidden the tax report for now.  Our top priority is to get a new default category list in place for new customers.  Existing customers aren't affected since they will continue to see their old categories. 
    • Overall for this initial Canadian release, we focused on new customers.  Our next step is to work-through supporting existing Canadian customers and help them take advantage of new Canadian features including investment accounts and tax categories even if they've subscribed to a US membership plan.
As always, please report any issues you find in this release in this forums so we can spot them quickly and hopefully address the issues in upcoming releases.  We already know there's going to be a 5.4.1 released in the not too distant future to add Canadian categories so stay tuned.

12/7 - We stopped the release because we were seeing a number of people crashing when trying to download transactions.  We're going to fix this before we start the release again.

12/8 - We created a 5.4.1 release for customers who updated to 5.4.0 that fixes the crash and the asset sync issues.  Only customers who have 5.4.0 will get this update.  We wanted to get you guys unstuck quickly.  If everything looks good, we'll start releasing it to everyone else probably on Monday.  This also fixes the portfolio view issue that SnoopyFC mentioned.

12/11 - Released 5.4.2 to all customers.  We found a crashing bug in 5.4.1 in the portfolio view when moving the mouse when there is no data.  This typically occurred in the Realized gain view when there were no sales for the past year.

12/12 - Released 5.4.3 to all customers.  We fixed an issue where customers would be asked to change their password but the password field didn't work.

12/22 - Released 5.4.4 to all customers.  We fixed a number of the issues that were found in this forum including Accrued Interest not getting the right category, amounts not printing in the transaction report, corrected a sync issue with the new Canadian investment account types, fixed the Euro issue in loans and fixed a number of crashing issues.

Comments

• rangersix
    rangersix Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x and now I get this error all the time. This account does not to be updated it's just the value of my house and I input that manually.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x and now I get this error all the time. This account does not to be updated it's just the value of my house and I input that manually.

rangersix... check the account's settings and see if it has a section at the top "At Your Financial Institution" and appears to be set up for downloads. (I assume it did not before the update.) If so, click Troubleshooting and Deactivate Downloads. Hopefully that will stop it bugging you.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • rangersix
    rangersix Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

There is no Financial Institution with this account and there never was. Worked fine before. It's just the value of my house. I've always put the value in manually. 
  • RickO
    edited January 2019
    Marcus... some nice additions here. There are some cosmetic problems with the new ability to customize Transaction Report columns:

1) The placement of the column customization is not consistent with other parts of the program. Here it is within Customize settings. In other places (e.g.. Portfolio View), there is a Columns button image on the row of buttons at the top. Other places, you can also right click on the column headers to choose columns. Both of the latter options would be preferred.

2) The Notes column should properly be called Memo/Notes to agree with the registers.

3) When you add a column such as Memo/Notes, it gets added quite wide which pushes the Amount column off screen to the right. That might not be such a problem as long as the user notices and resizes columns. But... the column width settings don't stick; they again become very wide as soon as you leave the report and return to it.

4) What is the ATTM column? That's not a column in a transaction register. Is it a misnomer for something else?

One more suggestion: (and this applies throughout the program)... In other Mac programs there is sometimes a convention that shift-clicking or command-clicking on a disclosure triangle will collapse all (if you click on an open one), or expand all (if you click on a closed one). That would be very helpful throughout Quicken. This could also be accomplished with little Expand All and Collapse All buttons on the button row.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

1. Go to Preferences.
    2. Click on Mobile & Alerts.
    3. Click on the Accounts tab.
    4. Uncheck your Asset account to stop it from syncing with mobile.

This will solve the problem.  Sorry you ran into this.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

I understand that it did not in the past. Does that mean that you checked the settings (now) and it does not show a financial institution? I'm asking in case it somehow changed in the update without your knowledge. Also, is the account type "Asset". If so, it should not even allow you to try to set up downloads.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

Ah, I was thinking transaction sync. Mobile sync...that makes sense.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I am using 2018 for MAC. The budgeting does not work. Even editing will not list all the income or expenses. It is totally worthless. I have used Quicken for over twenty years. This is by far the most frustrating issue I have ever come across. 
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    In Portfolio view for each investment account, the drop down is automatically opened every time, even if I'd closed it.  I'd prefer to keep them closed and only open when I wish.  See below: 
    Please fix this....
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    RickO said:

Marcus... some nice additions here. There are some cosmetic problems with the new ability to customize Transaction Report columns:

1) The placement of the column customization is not consistent with other parts of the program. Here it is within Customize settings. In other places (e.g.. Portfolio View), there is a Columns button image on the row of buttons at the top. Other places, you can also right click on the column headers to choose columns. Both of the latter options would be preferred.

2) The Notes column should properly be called Memo/Notes to agree with the registers.

3) When you add a column such as Memo/Notes, it gets added quite wide which pushes the Amount column off screen to the right. That might not be such a problem as long as the user notices and resizes columns. But... the column width settings don't stick; they again become very wide as soon as you leave the report and return to it.

4) What is the ATTM column? That's not a column in a transaction register. Is it a misnomer for something else?

One more suggestion: (and this applies throughout the program)... In other Mac programs there is sometimes a convention that shift-clicking or command-clicking on a disclosure triangle will collapse all (if you click on an open one), or expand all (if you click on a closed one). That would be very helpful throughout Quicken. This could also be accomplished with little Expand All and Collapse All buttons on the button row.

Great comments.  We agree.

In terms of Option + Clicking on a disclosure triangle, that comes for free from MacOS if you use an outline view which is what we use.  Except it only works on children of the parent vs all the parents like  I  think you're suggesting.  For example, in the transaction report (or Finder)  if you Option + Click a disclosure triangle,  all of the children will get expanded or collapsed depending on the state of the disclosure triangle.  Maybe there's another key command that you're talking about but like I said MacOS does this and not the apps themselves so from our perspective, we are working like all the other MacOS apps.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The mortgage payment info (payment breakdown and payment schedule) stuff is not updating.  I've mentioned this several times since the feature was added, but this has still not been addressed.  See the pic below: 
    Please fix this as well....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    I am currently running version 3.5.2 and have yet to be able to update or import my 2017 file both for Mac.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

In Portfolio view for each investment account, the drop down is automatically opened every time, even if I'd closed it.  I'd prefer to keep them closed and only open when I wish.  See below: 
    Please fix this....

Ugh.  I'm able to reproduce it too.  Thanks for reporting it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

No account in mobile like my home asset. I just put it in Quicken to calculate my net worth. It’s not set up to download.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    D H Grif said:

I am using 2018 for MAC. The budgeting does not work. Even editing will not list all the income or expenses. It is totally worthless. I have used Quicken for over twenty years. This is by far the most frustrating issue I have ever come across. 

Can you be more specific?  Are you trying to display Investment income?  Yes, Investment income is not currently supported.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

I am currently running version 3.5.2 and have yet to be able to update or import my 2017 file both for Mac.

We stopped the release because we're seeing a crash that some people are running into during download and we want to fix that before releasing again.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

But if you're seeing the sync error then it's set up to sync to the cloud so follow the steps above to turn it off.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

The mortgage payment info (payment breakdown and payment schedule) stuff is not updating.  I've mentioned this several times since the feature was added, but this has still not been addressed.  See the pic below: 

Are you saying this isn't updating on this particular screen or in the schedule transaction or both?  And can you tell me specifically what isn't updating?  Is it the Principal and Interest or something else?  Thanks
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

Please fix this....

Glad to hear I'm not alone, but sorry that this appeared.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

Please fix this....

By the way, I think this only reproduces if you're in Group By Security.  Change to a different grouping like by Type or Asset Class if you want it to remain collapsed until we fix it.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

The payment breakdown banner and associated principal, etc.; payment schedule; and progress screens are not updating to reflect payments made or transactions added to the register.  It's not the principal or interest per se, it's simple the individual transactions.  Notice that the payment breakdown is for June 1, 2017.  It's not reflecting any payments I've made since.  Notice the most recent payment was made on 11/27.  I think it's tied to the fact that I'm not using a bill reminder tied to the loan setup.  That goes back to the fact that we can't track transfers in budgets (yet).  I'd be happy to provide more screenshots or info privately.    
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

Please fix this....

Thanks for that tip.  That makes it manageable for now until it's fixed.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Interesting times with the release of the Canadian version...Thx.

I posted the following questions here (before these notes), but you have more or less answered the first 2 from that list in your notes. I am posted the rest of them here:
    • 2. So essentially the CA version is just the US version with US specific features turned off, based on the Home Currency? Or is there more to it?
    • 3. Does the CA "version" of QM2018 include the ability to download from US FI/Banks?
    • 4. The US version of QM2018 includes ability to download from CDN FI/Banks. Will this continue to be true?
    • 5. The footnotes indicate that Quicken Mobile only works in Canada. Is this a unique version for Canada? Does it not link to US accts?
    • 6. I also see that Quicken Mobile is listed to only work with QM2017 and later but the US site lists it as working will all versions of QMac...is there a different versions of QMobile to work with QM2015 and QM2016?
    • 7. Is Premium support not available for QM2018 CA like it is for the US? After all, they are effectively the same product (the CA version having reduced functionality)?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

Oh interesting.  I see that.  I think that clears it up for me.  I'll let you know if I have more questions.  Thanks.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    RickO said:

Marcus... I see what you're saying about children vs parent with the option clicking the disclosure triangle. It works as you say. The problem is, since the top level items have no parent, the built in macOS feature can't be used to expand or collapse all the top level items.

When you have a large number of top level items in a portfolio view or report, it can take a really long time to expand or contract them all one by one. It would be really handy to have a button on the action/filter bar that would expand/collapse all top level items with one touch. Please consider adding that.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

Please fix this....

A good case for the global expand/collapse button I discuss above!
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

I posted the following questions here (before these notes), but you have more or less answered the first 2 from that list in your notes. I am posted the rest of them here:

• 2. So essentially the CA version is just the US version with US specific features turned off, based on the Home Currency? Or is there more to it?
    • 3. Does the CA "version" of QM2018 include the ability to download from US FI/Banks?
    • 4. The US version of QM2018 includes ability to download from CDN FI/Banks. Will this continue to be true?
    • 5. The footnotes indicate that Quicken Mobile only works in Canada. Is this a unique version for Canada? Does it not link to US accts?
    • 6. I also see that Quicken Mobile is listed to only work with QM2017 and later but the US site lists it as working will all versions of QMac...is there a different versions of QMobile to work with QM2015 and QM2016?
    • 7. Is Premium support not available for QM2018 CA like it is for the US? After all, they are effectively the same product (the CA version having reduced functionality)?
    Great questions.  Thanks for asking them.  Here's a rundown.
    1) We now have a Canadian Membership for Mac customers which is something new for 2018 and lots of things key off of this but specifically, Bill Pay and Bill Presentment will be hidden.  The same product/software is used but we turn things on or off based on the membership.  
    2) We are NOT changing the account access based on the membership so both US and Canadian accounts will be available to both US and Canadian customers.  
    3) There is only 1 mobile app that syncs with all versions of Quicken desktop.  The 2017 disclaimer I'm guessing is because Quicken Windows for Canada only started supporting mobile in 2017. If you are a Canadian Mac customer using Quicken Mac 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018 you can use the Quicken Mobile app and its the same one for US users.
    4) When you buy a membership it's not really tied to a product so if you purchase the Canadian Home and Business membership, then you should get Priority Access to customer support. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Thanks for the quick replies. Clears up a lot. Just some minor follows for clarification:

1) So feature set is keyed off the Membership? How does it do this, by "phoning home" or is there a user specific setting? (see implications in 4) below).

2) when you say "accounts", you mean FI/Bank accounts, not QMac account register, right? If so, this means both US and CA "versions" use the same FIDIR.txt file? I ask for clarity because the footnotes for the QMac-CA site says there are only "60+ Canadian participating financial institutions" and just wanted to be sure the US FI/Banks are not excluded.

4) So this means no Priority access for QMac-CA, since there is no Premier or H&B memberships on the Canadian site if looking at Mac part of the site? The only way to get those last 2 memberships would be to go over to the US site? But then, if you do that, does that mean the CA specific features that are coming, e.g. tax links, tax reports, etc would not be accessible?

TIA. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• brucel
    brucel Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Well that explains why my 5.3.2 won't update ;)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Having a discussion over here (in the SU Lounge) about the handling of monthly scheduled transactions that occur on the 29th, 20th or 31st of the month...

QM2018 handles this by pushing any of those dates to ALWAYS be the LAST DAY OF THE month...Not elegant.

QM2007 on the other hand gives a warning that not all months end with that date and gives the option to skip those months or to make then all the Last Day of the Month. Better but also not most elegant.

QWin on the other hand simply automatically assumes you mean the last day of the month and goes to the Last Day of the Monthly ONLY on months where that date does not exists, e.g. if the schedule is monthly on the 31st, on months that have less days, QWin makes it the last day (30th, 29th, 28th) for THAT month ONLY, then resumes on the 31st...(likewise for 30th and 29th).

Conclusion, it would be nice if QM2018 handled it the same way as QWin...or a combination of QWin and QM2007 (warning you and giving the option of what it will do).

This discussion has been closed.