List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Discovered another obstacle. So the following item needs to be added to the first list above: 
    Obstacles from QM2007 - Show-stoppers preventing migration (which affects QWin users too)

Consider adding your VOTE to Add ability to handle Buy/Sell of investments and Transfer effectively.

And remember to add your votes to any of the other obstacles listed above.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments and/or the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

And here is another obstacle identified by another user, found here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-4-x-released?topic-reply...

During the conversion of investments from QM2007, since QMac derives price based on other info in the transaction, this creates a discrepancy from data migrated over from QM2007 resulting in rounding errors and ultimately discrepancies in the balance of the account.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jtk.google
    jtk.google Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I've got two obstacles for me, mentioned in https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-best-to-manage-multiple-single-mutual-fund-a...
    1. As a workaround for a lousy FI download system (single mutual funds required, but I need to track the aggregated funds as a single Quicken account), I need to copy investment transactions between accounts, QMac 2018 doesn't support that.
    2. No support for separate accounts excluded from net worth.  (Needed to exclude those single mutual fund accounts, but also to exclude a few accounts from my children where I don't want to have a separate quicken file for them.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

I've got two obstacles for me, mentioned in https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-best-to-manage-multiple-single-mutual-fund-a...
    1. As a workaround for a lousy FI download system (single mutual funds required, but I need to track the aggregated funds as a single Quicken account), I need to copy investment transactions between accounts, QMac 2018 doesn't support that.
    2. No support for separate accounts excluded from net worth.  (Needed to exclude those single mutual fund accounts, but also to exclude a few accounts from my children where I don't want to have a separate quicken file for them.)

I don't have an answer for #1.

As to #2...Go to Reports > Net Worth.  You can customize the date range and the accounts to include/exclude.  

This way, you could exclude the single mutual fund accounts and your children's accounts and come up with an accurate net worth for you. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to 

First
    , click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 

Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions
     to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jtk.google
    jtk.google Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Thanks for pointing me to the consolidated requests, somehow search was failing me!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Also, a consolidate list of about 70% of all IDEA posts can be found here:
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On
    and on it's related list:
    EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

And if you want to see the complete list, use the info in this FAQ:
    How to Filter Conversations/Discussion Threads on this Forum (to see only what you want)
    and Sort By "Number of me-toos - highest first, you will be able to see the ideas in order of popularity.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It seems like another item has been found to add to this list -- as per this link, there appears to be no distinction between Taxable / Non Taxable Distributions in QMac (compared to QM2007 and QWin). So presumably this data will be lost during migration.

• Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

It seems like another item has been found to add to this list -- as per this link, there appears to be no distinction between Taxable / Non Taxable Distributions in QMac (compared to QM2007 and QWin). So presumably this data will be lost during migration.

WOW, no one at Quicken has an IRA or 401K. This is a personal finance software app, correct??
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I don't believe preceding discussion pertains to IRA or 401K. QM provides for 401K/IRA accounts. Dividends, interest, capital gains, etc. for IRA/401K are not reported as taxable or non-taxable because everything in them is taxable when the funds are withdrawn. The only way they show up on a tax report is when money is withdrawn from them whether because of RMD or the owners discretion.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Another SERIOUS OBSTACLE...if Transfers in QM2007 use Classes, they become orphaned Transfers when migrated to QMac...
    See QMac: Orphan Transfers

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Another minor data lose occurs during migration: the identification of VOID transactions. For some reason, the migration process with strip the word VOID from the Payee, making it impossible to know which transactions are VOIDed.  That said, the transaction still remains, simply without the prefix.

Meanwhile, a manual work-around is available to VOID transactions in QMac...see  And if you really want this feature (though this is one that should not need to be used often, such that the manual process is not overly onerous), you can add your VOTE for the Ability to Move or Void a Transaction.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• smayer97
      smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited February 2018

Discovered another obstacle. So the following item needs to be added to the first list above: 
      Obstacles from QM2007 - Show-stoppers preventing migration (which affects QWin users too)

Consider adding your VOTE to Add ability to handle Buy/Sell of investments and Transfer effectively.

And remember to add your votes to any of the other obstacles listed above.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments and/or the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

If you have issues with investing accounts not carrying over the securities data (only cash balances), consider this work-around on that thread. YMMV

• smayer97
      smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited August 2018
      If you have issues with investing accounts not carrying over the securities data (only cash balances), consider this work-around on that thread or even this work-around. YMMV

• smayer97
      smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited August 2018
      Another problem has been identified regarding Import of QM2007 Investment Transactions with four fields that are entered in the register - number of shares, $ amount of transaction, commission, and share price, where in QM2018, the total transaction cost is calculated from the number of shares, commission, and the (possibly incorrect) share price.

And your VOTE and Follow along at the link above... 

• smayer97
      smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited April 2018

Another SERIOUS OBSTACLE...if Transfers in QM2007 use Classes, they become orphaned Transfers when migrated to QMac...

Apparently fixed in QM2018 v5.5.4 (Feb 27/2018)
      https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-5-4-and-other-5-5-x-rele...

and Release notes 2018 Release of Quicken

• smayer97
        smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
        edited April 2018

Apparently also fixed in QM2017 v4.6.9 (Mar 20/2018), as per release notes for Quicken 2017.

• smayer97
        smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
        edited August 2018
        See additional Migration Issues- Quicken for Mac from QWin:
        • Many Toronto stock exchange accounts were not correctly flagged as TSE.  Had to go into them and manually change the stock symbol to add 'TSE:' to the stock symbol and then Rebuild History.
        • Tax Schedule for capital gains is problematic.  It breaks the gain for one of my sales into about 15 lines because the investment was purchased over several reinvested dividends so I have to manually add each line up to get to the gain from the one sale transaction to report on my taxes.  The report should subtotal by sale in aggregate like the Windows version.

• smayer97
        smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
        edited August 2018
        Another hindrance to consider:
        The way that QM2007 and QM2018, etc handle the memo field in TRANSFER transactions is different. As a result, there is the potential for data from memo fields in QM2007 to be lost.

QM2018:
        The memo field is ALWAYS mirrored from one side to the other of any transfer, included those with split lines. This means that even when you edit a memo, the change is always reflected on the other side. When a transfer involves a split line, the memo field on the split line is the memo field that gets reflected on the other side (compared to QM2007, which does this differently; see below).

QM2007:
        The memo field is always copied from one side to the other when you first create a transaction BUT after the transaction is saved, any changes to the memo field on one side of a transfer is NOT reflected on the other side. This is true for both simple one line transfers and in transfer transactions with split lines. 

When you first create a transfer transaction with split lines, the memo field from the main transaction is copied to the other side of the transfer, instead of the memo field entered on the split line. 

As a result of the possibility of QM2007 allowing the memo fields to be different on each side of a transfer, some of those memo field data will be lost during import. 

• jacobs
        jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
        edited June 2018

The way that QM2007 and QM2018, etc handle the memo field in TRANSFER transactions is different. As a result, there is the potential for data from memo fields in QM2007 to be lost.

QM2018:
        The memo field is ALWAYS mirrored from one side to the other of any transfer, included those with split lines. This means that even when you edit a memo, the change is always reflected on the other side. When a transfer involves a split line, the memo field on the split line is the memo field that gets reflected on the other side (compared to QM2007, which does this differently; see below).

QM2007:
        The memo field is always copied from one side to the other when you first create a transaction BUT after the transaction is saved, any changes to the memo field on one side of a transfer is NOT reflected on the other side. This is true for both simple one line transfers and in transfer transactions with split lines. 

When you first create a transfer transaction with split lines, the memo field from the main transaction is copied to the other side of the transfer, instead of the memo field entered on the split line. 

As a result of the possibility of QM2007 allowing the memo fields to be different on each side of a transfer, some of those memo field data will be lost during import. 

Correctly noted. However, I’m not sure there is something that needs to get “fixed” here. If you are suggesting that modern Quicken should re-architect splits to work exactly like they did in Quicken 2007, in order to allow different memos on the two sides of the split, I think that is both unlikely and unnecessary. (I have not found it limiting to have one memo on transfers; the only real issue is the import of the Quicken 2007 data where the memos differ on each side of the split.)

I tried to think of another possible solution, and the only thing I thought of was having the import routine compare the memo on both sides and combine them if they are different. But the length of 2 different memos concatenated would likely exceed the length of the memo field in many cases, and it’s also likely that the combined memo might be undesirable in some cases. So I don’t think that would work.

So beyond noting this difference between the two versions, how do you see it as an obstacle to migrating, and how do you suggest it be changed?
        Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
      • Dave in SF
        Dave in SF Member ✭✭✭
        edited June 2018

QM2018:

QM2007:

I'm not sure he's suggesting a change, just noting a potential problem.  In QM2007, I sometimes used different comments on each "side" of transfer transactions, often just notes to myself to clarify the purpose of the transaction or something.  In QM2018, I can no longer do that.  It's not a big deal to me.  But if someone had critical (to them) information in those comment fields, they might want to know that some of it would be lost during transition to QM2018.
        I can't speak for the person who posted about this, but I personally don't think any change is required, and I don't think a change was being requested.
      • smayer97
        smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
        edited June 2018

QM2018:

QM2007:

Exactly.

What is the length of the memo field in QM2018? In QM2007 it is only 54 chars so potentially merging might be a good idea if QM2018 has longer fields; at least this way NO data would be lost in the migration, and the user could simply remove what they no longer want. But the alternative would be good too, to somehow identify what data did not migrate, and where.

But at the very least, this post is about making users aware of this potential problem, as I have worded it...And I called it a hindrance, not an obstacle, as I have defined it near the top...

• jacobs
        edited June 2018

QM2018:

QM2007:

After testing, as I noted in a separate conversation, the length of the memo field in Quicken 2018 is either unlimited, or so large it exceeds and useful size for a memo. (I stopped testing after going over 2,000 characters, and length that would be almost impossible to read usefully because you have to click and scroll through it.) So it's much, much longer than Quicken 2007, and so it would be possible to concatenate the two memos of a Quicken 2007 transfer transaction into one in Quicken 2018, although the length become somewhat unwieldy to read.
      • smayer97
        smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
        edited July 2018

QM2018:

QM2007:

Thx for confirming here. Well up to 3 x 54 = 162 so that would be a reasonable potential solution for the benefit of not losing any data.

• smayer97
        smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
        edited July 2018

QM2018:

QM2007:

See QMac - Memo Field data from Transfer transactions lost during migration from QM2007 for more discussion on this topic.

• julian
        julian Member ✭✭
        edited July 2018
        I gave up and moved to Banktivity. They are not that polished but they are making progress. There nothing better than competition to get a market "leader" to move ahead although I doubt they will move fast enough. Quicken come from nowhere and killed the then market leader (ManageYourMoney by Tobias - that was stuck in the "DOS" (preWindows)).
      • glennmacc
        glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
        OK, like many of you, I've been using QM2007 for a long time and I've been hesitant to "upgrade" (let's say "modernize" for a variety of reasons. Just last Friday though, I decided it was time. My decision was based on both the lack of QM2007 compatibility with 10.15 Catalina coming out in the fall (and my desire to upgrade rather than stick with 10.14 forever), but even more importantly (I could have kept an old laptop on 10.14 or earlier), the change in download security protocols that will be implemented in August that will prevent QM2007 from downloading anything. It would be a huge effort to manually input all of my transactions, so I decide to make the leap.

Here are the results:

Overall, I'd say it has gone better than expected or feared. Almost all of my 65,000 transactions from 20 years of Quicken transitioned to the new QuickenMac. There were one or two weird glitches like an account that ended up with a small balance when it was closed years ago, and a reconciled account that was no longer reconciled (both were fairly easily fixed). Otherwise, many issues that I was afraid would be terrible have been fine, though there are certainly a few that I wish worked better. Here is a quick list:

Reports: My main concern was that the reporting engine was not going to be satisfactory. I have about 75 reports in QM2007 and I rely on them a lot. Well, the new QMac reports are not great, but I have managed to get some semblance of most of my reports saved using the custom report feature. There are no savable custom date ranges and you cannot specify a previous year. Most reports do not have subtotals (one of the standard reports has a version of subtotals, so I used that as the template for all of my custom reports and it worked OK). Generally, if you want to compare years or months you just have to change to date range of the report and look at the information sequentially (or save a screen shot of each if you want).

Another thing that is an irritant for me is the investment performance reporting. You have a choice of YTD, 1 year, 3 year, and 5 year performance, but again there is no ability to make custom date range nor any way to see performance over a fund's lifetime or since you purchased it. Same for stocks and other investment vehicles. And there is no way to see a specific group of investments, other than in a specific account, asset class, or "type" that you assign (and these are very limited).

Another issue in reports is that you cannot search for items the memo field for a report. I like to mark things like "vacation 2019" in a memo so I can search for everything from that vacation to see the total cost. There is no mechanism to do that really. A workaround would be to tag each item with a custom tag. Yes that would work (you can search for tags), it is a bit of a pain, but not impossible. I'll just need to change my workflow in the future I guess.

Another issue that I wish worked better is the "Account Summary" report. You cannot select certain accounts to show, date to show a summary, or any other customization. It is simply a snapshot of everything you have as of today., Therefore it is not much better than a Net Worth report, it just looks a bit better.

Finally, on budgets. The budget actually seemed pretty similar to QM2007, except that you cannot include investment income in the budget (budgets from QM2007 do not make the transition to the new QM). This clearly is a big issue, especially for anyone who is living off of their investments. No realistic budget can be produced without including investment income (dividends, capital gains, etc.). This is a big miss. I read in a forum somewhere that this was to be implemented in 5.9, but it does not seem to be in today's release, so who knows. The "fill row" button is gone, but is replaced by an even better contextual menu that pops up. This menu includes fill back, fill all, fill forward, etc. and works fine.

Despite all of these criticisms, I'd like to reiterate that the program is better than I expected (as of 5.11.2). Some things that worked better than I had feared:

Since Smart Payees does not exist in the new Quicken, I had feared that every entry from credit cards would return to their original format, but they all came through as they were changed via Smart Payee, then new items followed their format. There is a checkbox allowing "improved naming" or something like that from credit card statements and it seems to work.

Again, the transition process went smoothly for me, which I had worried would be terrible. The new graphics are good (graphs, etc.) and the program is responsive and reasonably quick. There are generally ways to get almost any information you want by searching, filtering, etc. The "customize" button seems to be located in a variety of places on different screens, but that button is your key to filtering most options. Unfortunately, not every report can be customized. And again, saving specific formats or custom dates, or comparison reports is often not possible or not easy.

This is my view after spending most of the weekend with QMac 2019 (not officially called 2019). I'll report any other important findings as I learn the program better.
      • jacobs
        @glennmacc First, congratulations on (mostly) successfully making the leap! And thanks for your comprehensive report.

You mentioned a lot of things, and I'll come back to revisit when I have more time, but one I wanted to address quickly was finding things in the Memo/Notes fields. I also use this extensively, and wanted to mention a few tricks that you might find adequate workarounds. I, too, wish it was possible to create a report based on a Memo/Notes text string -- but the developers apparently thought there was a better way for most people wanting to do this.

The key is using the Search box at the upper right of the transaction screen. It will search by default in all visible columns. (You can click the tiny arrow that appears next to the magnifying glass once you click in the Search box and select a single column to search, such as Memo/Notes.) So what I often do is click on the Banking group heading in the left sidebar (or All Transactions), to get a transaction register that includes all my checking and credit card accounts, and then use the Search box to search for memo text, like "vacation 2019". Remember you must make the Memo/Notes field visible in the Banking or All Transactions register view for this to work; fortunately, after you do it once, Quicken retains this register configuration. Most of the time, that's good enough for me to find what I'm looking for, and very quickly.

There's one major shortcoming: it only Searches in active accounts. So if you have closed credit card accounts which you have made Hidden in Quicken, Search won't look in them. So sometimes I need to go Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts to make some old credit card accounts non-hidden to do a Search, and then re-hide them. That's annoying. For me, it's workable, but it's definitely annoying -- and it could be infeasible for a user who has dozens of hidden accounts. Fortunately, there is an Idea thread on this issue, and it is now marked as "Planned" -- it's quite rare for the developers to say definitively which new features are forthcoming -- so this will get easier in some future release. :)

One other thing I wanted to mention about Reports. The named ones in the Reports menu, which appear under "New Report" are actually "old reports" -- they exists largely unchanged from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials. You can't customize them as much as you might want, and there are some circumstances in which the Category Summary report will omit some transactions. For the past two years, the developers have been working on building an all-new reports engine that will allow the levels of customization reports have clamored for. As they've been building in new features, the new stuff is all hidden behind the simple-looking New Report menu item. It's really a different world. There are lots of improvements in the reports, and if you can create a report you need using New Report, I strongly encourage you to do that instead of using those old named reports. Expect to see the "New Report" expand to become the standard way of generating reports in the future, and we think they're going to get rid of the old reports once there is a replacement for all of them. (Some, like Accounts Summary or Tax Schedule can only be done via the old reports engine.)
      • smayer97
        smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
        @glennmacc thanks for sharing. Still too many shortcomings as mentioned, and some others. Still some obstacles too, with data loss in migrating, e.g. memos. 

• jacobs
        @smayer97 What data loss of memos are you referring to? Loss of attachments is a big thing for a small number of people, but I haven't seen issues with Memo//Notes.

I'd be interested, if/when you have the time, for a concise list of the absolute showstopper limitations preventing you from moving to the modern Quicken. Of course there are many aesthetic, esoteric, ease-of-use, and other non-mission-critical shortcomings in Quicken 2019 versus Quicken 2007, and you created the great compendium of such topics in the first post in this thread. But with all that has changed in the nearly three years since then, and stripping away the 'would be nice if Quicken 2019 had' features, what are the things you -- not all users, but you specifically -- simply cannot accomplish in Quicken 2019 that makes it impossible to move off Quicken 2007? I'm just curious, as we all try to assess end game strategies for Quicken 2007.
      • glennmacc
        glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
        Jacobs: Thanks for that insights. That really does help. I used the All Transactions/Search to find some orphan transfers (when you transition to QMac, I'd recommend doing a global search for "orphan" as many of these orphaned transfers were hidden away and I would not have known about them without the search. They were the reason I had a balance in one of my old accounts. I found one, then searched and discovered about 10-12 more), but I did not think to use it as you suggested. Thanks. And thanks for the heads up on the Reports engine. I'll keep my list of reports from QM2007 and hope the new engine allows some of them to be recreated (I have a budget for each year from 2000 that are no longer viable, so that is 20 reports that I will not recreate).