"Save the Last Transaction"

GGLondon
GGLondon Member ✭✭
I've been using Quicken since it was first introduced, decades ago.  PLEASE fix this:  At least once a week I get a message to the effect of "Save the last transaction?"  But it gives me NO indication of what the program thinks that unsaved transaction actually was, and so I have to blindly Accept the SAVE, hoping that I really did just forget to save some valid entry.  But I might have unknowingly hit something with a thumb and by saving whatever I messed up, I'll have ruined a good entry.  I have complained about this for decades, but nobody cares about this very easy way to accidentally corrupt a whole file!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: 7/12/18: An update from our CEO, Eric Dunn.
21 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• George Mays
    George Mays Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I get that message also, usually two times as I’m shutting down the program.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I think it would be a good idea if Quicken were changed to make this message more meaningful and include information about the transaction in question.
    Something like:
    Save the last transaction?
    7/20/2018  Starbucks  $-5.50       [go to transaction]
    [Yes, save transaction]  [No, discard changes]

If a moderator would change this post from a "Question" to an "Idea" we'd be able to make some progress. Ideas are brought to the attention of the programmers.

After it has been changed to an idea ... everyone who would like to see this change implemented in a future release of Quicken please click the VOTE button on this webpage and/or add additional comments.
  • CSBB-FW
    CSBB-FW Member ✭✭
    This should definitely be implemented! When prompting user to save last transaction, it is imperative to tell the user which transaction will be saved. The user needs to know at least the account, date and amount in order to make an informed decision.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. This has bothered me for years. Vote it up, everyone!

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• DonPon
    DonPon Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023

Oftentimes, I work on other projects while Quicken is still running in the background. When I go to exit the program, it will say "Do you want to save the last transaction?" More often than not I forget what it was. There are no options to show you what the last transaction was, and you can't stop the program from closing unless you hit "YES save the program!" This is very frustrating! Any suggestions?

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @DonPon,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Also, are you receiving this prompt every time you close Quicken? If so, could you please close Quicken again, then reopen it and without making any new changes or entries, close the program again to see if you still receive the same prompt?

Please check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have received the "Do you want to save the last transaction" on occasion and it does make one nervous. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems when I click "Yes" but I am always holding my breath expecting the worse scenario. The only suggestion I have is to select "yes" and then re-open the program and see if your register balance raises a red flag. If you are uncomfortable with the register balance you can always restore the register from your last backup which can also have a downside If you have made numerous entries, you will then have to reenter all of them.

You could select "No" and not save your last transaction and then make an adjustment when you reconcile and the transaction doesn't agree with your bank statement transactions.  If you made a debit card entire(s) in Quicken you can check your account on your bank's website and see if the recent transactions recorded on the website agree with what you have entered in Quicken.

I always save my purchase receipts in an envelope in the event there is a transaction on my bank statement that I don't recognize when I reconcile and the transaction isn't in my Quicken register. By keeping a receipt, I also know that my debit/credit card wasn't used fraudulently. If you aren't keeping your receipts but throw them away after entering the transaction in Quicken, I would start keeping them. Then when you experience a "do you want to save the last transaction" notice, you can double-check your recent entries regardless of whether you do or don't save the last transaction. 

Hope you didn't nod off reading this long epistle.
  • DonPon
    DonPon Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken Windows Deluxe Version R33.24- This ONLY Happens as I described it in my initial query.
  • DonPon
    DonPon Member ✭✭
    @TheKeeper, that's pretty much what I do. But as you mentioned, I'm always left holding my breath hoping I chose the right one. There has to be a fix for that. A simple (see last transaction). If they can invent the push up bra, or send a man to the moon, surely they can add this simple option! :wink:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Our approach has been to always save a backup (press Ctrl + B) after we've made a change we want to commit.  A backup may be used to determine what changed.
  • DonPon
    DonPon Member ✭✭
    Maybe I'm not getting my point across correctly... sometimes I'm in the middle of a transaction and something comes up that takes my attention away from Quicken. I may or may not have wanted to save it, but I've logged a considerable amount of information i.e., itemized receipts, and forget about it. Then when I go to close the program, it didn't forget about me, although I don't remember what my last transaction was since the question asking me if I want to "save the last transaction" doesn't give me the option to see what that transaction was. This occurs usually when I'm multitasking. I understand all of the workarounds, but how about a simplified option to just review the last transaction they are referring to before I close it. This is my dilemma. Seems easy enough to solve on Quickens behalf.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    DonPon, I agree with you whole heartedly. I've had this happen a lot, and I too have turned blue holding my breath while I decide whether to save or not to save the last transaction. I've been luckier than most as I use Quicken ONLY to download transaction (even using Express Web connection process), and for reports and that's it. Absolutely nothing else do I use, and I've been lucky with only doing that as my Quicken is running beautifully.
    I would encourage you to post this as an idea so it can be voted on. @Sherlock, this could be one of the elements that cause a "Lost transactions" to be posted on the community site. Maybe some of those posts could be nullified with a fix for this.
  • DonPon
    DonPon Member ✭✭
    Thanks OldnGrmpy1! I thought I did that, but I guess not. lol. I'm new here. ;)
  • DonPon
    DonPon Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock Oftentimes, I work on other projects while Quicken is still running in the background. When I go to exit the program, it will say "Do you want to save the last transaction?" More often than not I forget what it was. There are no options to show you what the last transaction was, and you can't stop the program from closing unless you hit "YES save the program!" This is very frustrating! Any suggestions?
  • DonPon
    DonPon Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock Maybe I'm not getting my point across correctly... sometimes I'm in the middle of a transaction and something comes up that takes my attention away from Quicken. I may or may not have wanted to save it, but I've logged a considerable amount of information i.e., itemized receipts, and forget about it. Then when I go to close the program, it didn't forget about me, although I don't remember what my last transaction was since the question asking me if I want to "save the last transaction" doesn't give me the option to see what that transaction was. This occurs usually when I'm multitasking. I understand all of the workarounds, but how about a simplified option to just review the last transaction they are referring to before I close it. This is my dilemma. Seems easy enough to solve on Quickens behalf.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I'm not sure why you find necessary to repeat yourself.  You did ask for suggestions and I described how we handle the issue.  I do wish you luck in finding a more satisfying solution.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You are always free to submit an idea and people can vote on it.

Personally I consider this a non-issue. What's the worst thing that's going to happen to you if you say yes?
    You're going to get a transaction in your register that you don't want.  I would assume that the next time you reconcile that was transaction is going to pop out at you and you just deleted big deal.

Along the same lines if you say no then maybe you lose one transaction and sooner or later you figure it out by reconciling or whatever that you forgot it.  It isn't like your answering yes or no to selecting and deleting 500 transactions or something.

I also don't keep programs like Quicken running when I'm not using them.  
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I wish for to happen when this message pops up is for Quicken to display the register in question behind the message popup and highlight the unsaved transaction.
    Now wouldn't that be nice?
    What say you, programmers?
  • DonPon
    DonPon Member ✭✭
    My point EXACTLY!!! :smile:
  • DonPon
    DonPon Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Well I guess for your needs it is a non-issue. So does that mean I won't be getting your vote? :#
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    DonPon said:
    @Chris_QPW Well I guess for your needs it is a non-issue. So does that mean I won't be getting your vote? :#
    Actually no, I would in fact vote for it.   There are tons of things in Quicken that I don't need, but that doesn't make them "bad ideas".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

I have transformed this post into an idea thread so you should be able to now add your vote to support. You can do so by going back to the start of the thread and clicking upvote button.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Roland@
    Roland@ Member ✭✭✭
    Looks like this is a duplicate of https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7764150/save-the-last-transaction.  Would be good to merge the two to combine the upvotes.  Definitely an annoying issue.  It happens to me more often than not when I'm 'reorganizing' transactions/accounts.  After putting in a good amount of work, and seemingly liking the state of things, I get this alert, and now wonder what I've lost.  Not all accounts are easily reconcilable after the fact.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another way this problem could be solved would be to offer a Cancel option as part of the "Do you want to save the last transaction" dialog. Cancel would return you to the unsaved transaction, which you could review and delete or save as appropriate.

This is the flow in other parts of Quicken, such as when you try to close a report that has not been saved.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • This issue has, like with the OP, been a thorn in my side "Forever". I leave Quicken open much of the day, and to have "Save the last transaction?" appear on Close with no indication of what transaction is was is just nutty.

Why oh why has this never been fixed or otherwise improved upon? Don't Quicken programmers actually *use* Quicken?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is mainly a community of Quicken users. The Moderators, whose screen names begin with Quicken, are Quicken employees.

Idea posts like this are the forum's way to request changes and improvements. Ideas are reviewed from time to time and considered for implementation. Ideas with more votes tend to get more attention.

This idea is still in the "New" category, meaning it has not been reviewed yet.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Would you use it if you had to work with it all day too?
  • William Aston
    William Aston Member ✭✭
    This happens to me fairly frequently (multiple times a week) too! I'll press enter after entering my transaction, and it doesn't do anything. I press enter 2-3x more, still nothing, so I figure Quicken needs to be restarted, so I go to shut it down, and it asks me whether I want to save the previous transaction (I always click "Save"), but it DOESN'T save that last transaction, and I have to re-enter it after restarting Quicken.
  • James104
    James104 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Somewhere less than 25% of the time Quicken asks twice if I want to "save the last transaction" when I go to X-out.  I used to say yes thinking I'd forgotten to save something, but twice is illogical.  If you forget to save a transaction and try to start a new one Quicken asks if you want to save the last one, yes it's saved, no and it isn't, so there should be no way to have TWO unsaved transactions.

From now on I'm always going to say NO! 

[Removed - Off Topic]