Regarding two-line display (9 Legacy Votes)

davidlambert
davidlambert Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
It would be nice if it were possible to adjust the width of fields on the bottom row when in two-line display mode. Currently, I can adjust the top-row field widths only. If I switch to one-line display, I can adjust the field width of all fields except 'Action Button.' In the attached images I can change widths of Date, Reference, Payee, Charge, Clr, Payment, Amount and Balance fields on top row but not Category, Tag or Memo or Action Button fields on bottom row. All fields except Action Button field can be adjusted when in one-line view. I don't like using one-line view but would like it if the 'Tag' field could be made narrower and the 'Memo' field could be made wider.

5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Have you considered turning off display of the tag field?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• davidlambert
    edited March 2018
    Not really because I use the 'Tag' field. My tags are all not more than two words.
  • Rick9
    Rick9 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I agree - this has been a problem for many years.  I just upgraded to Quicken 2019 (from Quicken 2016), and it still doesn't allow the adjustment of the lower line column widths on a Two-line display.  I'm forced to use a One-line display, which makes it difficult to see all of the fields I want to see.

Very frustrating.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Frankly I wonder how much control the developers have over this, and if possible, how much trouble it is to change.  The thing to understand is there is that the two line mode isn't in fact supported by standard GUI components, so the whole register is a set of custom controls, that might have limited functionality in areas like this.
  • davidlambert
    edited November 2018
    I fail to see why, if they can be adjusted in one-line display, they can't be adjusted in two-line display
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I fail to see why, if they can be adjusted in one-line display, they can't be adjusted in two-line display

Hover your mouse over the column lines over in the first row.  See how your mouse changes the cursor to the one for changing the size?  Now hover over any of these lines in the second row.  None of them give you that cursor.  So at least in the mode it is in it is to row that is controlling the size.  The creators of the GUI control decide what modes are possible.  There may or may not be a mode for controlling the bottom row size.

In fact I would venture to say there isn't such a mode, because if it was simply a matter of turn on such a mode, they would have done it years ago.  It isn't like this is the first time anyone has requested this.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    In Two-line display, the Category, Tag and Memo fields each get 1/3 the width of the Payee field.  So, making the Payee field narrower or wider, adjusts the other 3 fields accordingly.  I fail to see the importance of precisely adjusting the width of these fields in Two-line display.  If the Payee field is wide enough you should be able to see the contents of the Category, Tag and Memo fields without a problem.

Since you can get what you want in One-line display, I would suggest that you just switch between the two as needed. I generally do this myself.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

BTW I should mention a few things.

One I'm a programmer and even though GUI's are not my expertise, I'm certainly familiar with them and the standard tools.  And it is a big deal to write custom controls, it isn't the kind of thing that the average GUI developer does.

Also the "new" Quicken Mac doesn't have a two mode at all.  And the reason given by the project manager was exactly that it would require them taking time to create custom controls.

I have also in the past tried to help out on test accessibility in Quicken.  Lets just say that Quicken is getting less and less accessible as time goes on.  And the register show this is spades.   Even with a special mode turned on in Quicken the register is almost "hidden" from standard accessibility tools because whoever created these custom tools wasn't concerned about putting in this kind of functionality.

The main point is if the functionality isn't there, some one will have to put in a lot of work to add it, if it is even possible.  It is entirely possible that Intuit/Quicken Inc purchased a tool kit from an outside party, and they don't have the code to change internal functions like this.
  • Rick9
    Rick9 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Regrettably, for one of my accounts, the Payee field only covers the Category, Tag, and "part" of the Memo field.  When I adjust the Payee field width, the width of the fields underneath don't change at all.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Regrettably, for one of my accounts, the Payee field only covers the Category, Tag, and "part" of the Memo field.  When I adjust the Payee field width, the width of the fields underneath don't change at all.

This is in only one account?

There have been reports that with certain Windows scaling the columns don't line up, but I would think that would be for all the accounts of that type (investment or non investment)

Can you post a screenshot?

That sounds like a bug that maybe they can get fixed.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

@Rick The Category, Tag and Memo fields occupy the full width of the Payee field, so something must be changing when you resize.  Are you saying the width of the Memo field is narrower than the Category and Tag fields?

As I mentioned earlier, those three fields each have a width equal to 1/3 of the Payee field and grow or shrink as you do the resizing.

You say that part only part of the memo field is visible, is this because the transactions have unusually long descriptions and the column is too narrow?

You may want to try doing a Reset to default columns to see if that corrects your issue.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Rick9
    Rick9 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Attached is a screenshot of one of my checking accounts that shows the Payee field covering 'only' the Category and 'most' of the Tag field, but not any of the Memo field.  When I adjust the payee column width, the columns below don't change at all.  However, for some other accounts, adjusting the Payee column width does indeed adjust the three below it proportionally.

I did do a 'Reset to default columns' as suggested above, and that did fix the issue.

Thanks!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Attached is a screenshot of one of my checking accounts that shows the Payee field covering 'only' the Category and 'most' of the Tag field, but not any of the Memo field.  When I adjust the payee column width, the columns below don't change at all.  However, for some other accounts, adjusting the Payee column width does indeed adjust the three below it proportionally.

I did do a 'Reset to default columns' as suggested above, and that did fix the issue.

Thanks!

This is definitely a "Windows scaling" problem (which can be a "mixed problem" with View -> Large Fonts, which is also trying to scale things in the window.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still a good idea, I would say.
    Matter of fact, I would even go as far as suggesting adding additional lines (3rd, 4th, or more) for seldom used fields like Downloaded Payee, Downloaded Memo, Downloaded Posting Date, Downloaded Reference, Downloaded ID (aka FITID), etc. instead of shoehorning them into a 2-line register.
  • davidlambert
    edited July 2020
    > @Rich_M said:
    > In Two-line display, the Category, Tag and Memo fields each get 1/3 the width of the Payee field.  So, making the Payee field narrower or wider, adjusts the other 3 fields accordingly.  I fail to see the importance of precisely adjusting the width of these fields in Two-line display.  If the Payee field is wide enough you should be able to see the contents of the Category, Tag and Memo fields without a problem. Since you can get what you want in One-line display, I would suggest that you just switch between the two as needed. I generally do this myself.

My reason for having wider 'Category' or 'Memo' fields is that these fields typically contain more than can be displayed in the cell. For example, the 'Category' field may contain the main category and go as far as three or four sub-categories but only the first or first and second, depending on the category labels, may be displayed.
  • davidlambert

The problem is that in either 1 or 2-line display, some of those fields are not long enough to display the entire text contained within.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

In the case of 1 line mode you free to increase the size of any of the columns. The only real limit is how much can fit on your display, and other than scrolling which does there isn't anything Quicken can do about your display limitations. And note that you can change the font size.

2 Line mode is a different story because of the fact that some of the second line fields are contained in the same space as the first line field. The only way to resize these fields is to resize the "primary" one in the first line.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/