Quicken for Mac Subscription 5.9.0, 5.9.1 & 5.9.2 Released

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Problem: for credit card eBills, allow the user needs to be able to VARIOUS schedule promotional balances ON THE SAME CARD that need not be paid until a specific future date, and should be deducted from the full statement balance amount due until the bill date upon which they expire (this is common for example as a financing option with the Amazon store card for purchases over a certain $ amount).  Additionally, a user should be able to also schedule "equal periodic payment" promotional financing (another feature of the Amazon store card), that can be specified as an 'extra' amount to pay in addition to the required minimum per the statement (with a schedule of when the 'extra' amount should 'expire').  I agree with other users as well, that credit card eBills must also [even more basically] allow the user to specify whether to use the minimum payment due or the full statement balance (this is more broadly applicable to many credit cards with introductory promo balances).  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019

Problem: for credit card eBills, allow the user needs to be able to VARIOUS schedule promotional balances ON THE SAME CARD that need not be paid until a specific future date, and should be deducted from the full statement balance amount due until the bill date upon which they expire (this is common for example as a financing option with the Amazon store card for purchases over a certain $ amount).  Additionally, a user should be able to also schedule "equal periodic payment" promotional financing (another feature of the Amazon store card), that can be specified as an 'extra' amount to pay in addition to the required minimum per the statement (with a schedule of when the 'extra' amount should 'expire').  I agree with other users as well, that credit card eBills must also [even more basically] allow the user to specify whether to use the minimum payment due or the full statement balance (this is more broadly applicable to many credit cards with introductory promo balances).  

Good idea...that would be much too complicated for Quicken to implement.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019

zaconline wrote in another thread: "Are you working with Synchrony Bank to add them to the list of supported banks? 

Until recently I had to manually import downloads from Synchrony Bank. Then, more recently I was able to download, but there is an issue with getting duplicate entries after I have manually renamed a transaction. The transaction gets a new Sync ID and often the Fl payee name is different. I can't talk to the bank about it because they say they do not support Quicken downloads. I have had the duplicate problem occasionally with B of A, but Synchrony has been a consistent problem recently.  This appears to happen only with external transactions/transfers and not with internal transfers between Synchrony accounts or with things like interest. I have screenshots of this, which I take each time before I manually delete the duplicate.

I did notice that last night the sync failed with the bank, but worked this morning and then I saw the duplicates for transactions from 2 different banks and all external transfers for this month. 

I am currently using Quicken for mac 2019 Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100)."

RickO - Sounds like a great idea however it downloads previous version 5.9.1 with the suggestion to update t0 5.9.2 ... which I mentioned fails.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2019

zaconline wrote in another thread: "Are you working with Synchrony Bank to add them to the list of supported banks? 

Until recently I had to manually import downloads from Synchrony Bank. Then, more recently I was able to download, but there is an issue with getting duplicate entries after I have manually renamed a transaction. The transaction gets a new Sync ID and often the Fl payee name is different. I can't talk to the bank about it because they say they do not support Quicken downloads. I have had the duplicate problem occasionally with B of A, but Synchrony has been a consistent problem recently.  This appears to happen only with external transactions/transfers and not with internal transfers between Synchrony accounts or with things like interest. I have screenshots of this, which I take each time before I manually delete the duplicate.

I did notice that last night the sync failed with the bank, but worked this morning and then I saw the duplicates for transactions from 2 different banks and all external transfers for this month. 

That should not be happening unless 5.9.2 is still on limited release. But I don't believe it is. I guess they got behind getting it updated on the site. You might want to give them a call tomorrow. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Will Q for Mac ever be as good and complete as Q for Windows.  I have used Q for 25 years and add Windows to my Mac only for Q investing.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

In general, I am and was very happy that Quicken for Mac separated forever from Intuit.  The new owners of the app work very hard to improve the app with constant updates.  The Subscription approach doesn't even bother me, even with auto renew!  But... I just unchecked auto renew from my Quicken profile and uninstalled the latest Quicken for Mac.  Why?  Because I checked under Export and the QMFT and other files that allowed to move data to other apps is GONE since the last couple of updates.  Quicken developers should trust that their good work keeps their customers even under the subscription shackle!  But to only have a Windows Transfer file and CSV is really too encumbering for me.  I somehow used a Time Machine backup and went back to the beginning of December, 2018, produced a QMFT file of all my data for 6 accounts since 2008 and moved them into SEE Finance. I have a year subscription with Quicken for Mac but am willing to let it go unless Quicken puts back the capacity to Export to other apps.  I don't like coercion.

Stephen, I can assure you that we didn't take this feature out to block people from moving their files.  It would be stupid for a company to think they can keep customers by trapping them. The key issue for me is having a buggy feature in the product that I'm not going to spend time fixing.  Like I said previously,  if customers are OK with the way it works, as is, then I'm more than happy to add it back.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019

Possibly we didn't push 5.9 to the download site.  Let me make sure that is done today.
  • Stephen Borisoff
    Stephen Borisoff Member
    edited February 2019

In general, I am and was very happy that Quicken for Mac separated forever from Intuit.  The new owners of the app work very hard to improve the app with constant updates.  The Subscription approach doesn't even bother me, even with auto renew!  But... I just unchecked auto renew from my Quicken profile and uninstalled the latest Quicken for Mac.  Why?  Because I checked under Export and the QMFT and other files that allowed to move data to other apps is GONE since the last couple of updates.  Quicken developers should trust that their good work keeps their customers even under the subscription shackle!  But to only have a Windows Transfer file and CSV is really too encumbering for me.  I somehow used a Time Machine backup and went back to the beginning of December, 2018, produced a QMFT file of all my data for 6 accounts since 2008 and moved them into SEE Finance. I have a year subscription with Quicken for Mac but am willing to let it go unless Quicken puts back the capacity to Export to other apps.  I don't like coercion.

And I want to assure you that I in no way think that Quicken's developers and management are acting the same way that Intuit acted with regard to neglect to the Mac user.  I have notice constant updates of great quality.  There are also built in safeguards to protect your valuable data.  One feature I notice is that when one is setting up or modifying categories, many programs to not stop one from deleting categories that are in use by transactions.  If these categories were to be deleted, then all of the transactions tied to the categories would become uncategorized!  In Quicken for Mac, it is really impossible to make this mistake...  There are other safeguards equally stunning.  But sometimes user have years and years of transactions in multiple accounts.  If for some reason a user wants to share data or needs to move on to another financial app (though Quicken is extraordinarily powerful, so why switch), he will not be content to have all that data spilled out on to an Excel Spreadsheet...  The only other thing that bothers me is that the actions or transaction types cannot be modified in a batch process.  A user who imports years of transactions from another app, has to apply the appropriate action in a one-by-one manner.  I have accomplished this task long ago with great patience and it has never been an issue.  But whether Quicken consciously or intensionally removed the QMFT or not is not the issue.  Right now with one year to go on my subscription, the removal of the QMFT file capacity bothers me enough to move on to another app that has an export capacity.  There are few financial apps for Mac that can stand against Quicken for Mac.  I found one that does...  But there are other high quality apps, one of which has refused to fix its QIF export file for a decade and a half. It exports for a given date, debits and then credits and so the balance in the receiving app presents with negative numbers in its balance column.  It is a chore to switch the credits before the debits back to normal, but that developer is not interested in fixing the escape hatch from their app.

When Quicken puts back the export capability to my requirements, I will certainly be back.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2019

Stephen, you do understand that what you're saying is a deal-breaker for you is the removal of an export function which the product manager has told you is buggy and can result in inaccurate data being exported, right? I understand and support the desire to have a working, general-purpose way to export complete data from Quicken; although it's not in my top 5 feature wishlist at the moment. I guess I don't understand falling on the sword over a feature which we know was already broken. (And since a technically-minded user can accessed the data via any SQL browsing application should there be a need for an emergency escape hatch.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019

Stephen, I appreciate the discussion and your honesty.  You definitely have the right to move to the product that meets your needs.  I'm glad you found something that works for you.  I'm actually more interested in the other issue you brought up where we're not allowing you to change multiple transactions.  Are you talking about Investment Transactions and being able to change the Type or Cash transactions and not being able to change the Action field because the Action field is missing from the dialog?
  • Stephen Borisoff
    Stephen Borisoff Member
    edited February 2019

Jacobs, 
    My third party app developer doesn't think the export QMFT is broken.  It just can't do investments, he seems to be saying.  I think I have made my position clear and that Quicken and you have responded in turn in an intelligent manner that allows any other user to make up his or her mind on this issue.  I leave this to the powers that be at Quicken.

Quicken Marcus,
    Actually, I am referring to the lack of batch replacement or insertion of actions or transaction types in the edit feature of the register for bank accounts.  One can select a whole bunch of transactions and right click edit (I believe), and change the Payee or the Category in a batch process in a regular Checking Account or Savings Account.  But there is no Action choice to insert appropriate Actions into a blank column which is what comes in when one is importing a QIF or such from another app like Banktivity 7.  If there were Actions in place after import, I know that one can go to lists of Actions and change the particular Action to a new one and all of the transactions in all the accounts will change accordingly.  But I am talking about when the Action column is empty which is the case right after importing from a third party app.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much
  • jacobs
    edited February 2019

@Stephen, with all due respect to you and your app developer, I will choose to take the word of the person who oversees development of Quicken Mac that there are indeed known bugs, even if your guy says there aren't.

@Marcus: I'm not sure if this is what Stephen was referring to, but one of the major hobbling issues with Quicken Mac is that you can't act on multiple transactions -- banking transactions -- whenever splits are involved.

Since most users have many transactions with splits, the ability to edit multiple transactions essentially doesn't exist -- a major shortcoming. It would be a huge win if you'd update editing transactions to include split transactions. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Regarding some potential bugs, see this thread:
    QM2019 Export to QMTF is broken

That notwithstanding, conceptually there is still value in the QMTF export, albeit limited, given that it does not support investment records. The value is for those that do invest time in "modern" QMac after moving from QM2007 only to find out a little late that the latest version still does not meet their needs but yet have invested a lot of time doing data entry, and wanting to try to preserve some or all of that data to move back. Again, just in concept.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

As for the above issue regarding batch processing of split transactions, this is a longstanding issue and a stumbling block for migrating from QM2007, as noted on the 
    List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac.

For anyone interested, you can add your VOTE to Improve Batch Editing to include changing Split transactionsFirst, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    edited February 2019

I’d say that the number of users who (a) still use Quicken 2007, (b) try Quicken 2019, (c) don’t run in parallel for a little while, (d) want to migrate back to 2007 after using 2019 for long enough that they can’t easily recreate entries in 2007, and (e) don’t have any investments — is *extremely* small. Yes, absent any other issues, why not fix it up and put it back? But we have to view this in context, and the other issues the developers could be working on are so much more important for so many more people that I think Marcus has the priorities correct.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

I tend to agree that the value is limited

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2019

From the release notes:
    • IMPROVED - Added the ability to include retirement accounts in the tax report to track taxable withdrawals.
    Am curious as to the rationale behind this modification.

For background, I am retired and taking monthly distributions from a retirement account.
    I have federal and state taxes withheld from the distributions.
    Each month, the FI executes Sells to generate cash for the distribution.
    The FI then reports 3 transactions in the retirement account;
    1)  Federal tax withheld.
    2). State tax withheld.
    3)  Net distribution - which is transferred to my checking account.

Including this account in the tax report would lead to numerous errors as to tax reporting;
    1)  Capital gains/losses from the sell transactions have no tax implications but are included.
    2). Net distribution is reported but it is the Gross Distribution that needed in the tax report.
    3)  Other activity in the retirement account such as dividend income is also included in the tax report.
    It is the Gross Distribution that is a taxable event - all other activity within the account has no immediate tax implications.

My practice in recording these distributions is to record a split transaction in my checking account;
    Split #1)  Gross distribution as a transfer from the retirement account.
    Split #2). Federal tax withheld (a debit)
    Split #3)  State withheld (a debit)
    Each split is categorized - with the appropriate tax line item assigned to the category.
    Net of this transaction is the Net Distribution as reported by the FI.
    I ignore (delete) the tax withholdings and net distribution transactions as reported in the retirement account.

Bottom line - the ability to include retirement accounts in the tax report only leads to errors in my situation.
    Am I missing something?
    @Marcus... Please take a look at this thread that is also asking for separate taxable and nontaxable versions of the investment income categories:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/category-report-dividends-st-cap-gain-lt-cap-gai...
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    BUG in TXF file export.

One has two options to export tax related data to be imported into tax prep software:

Option #1).  Generate Tax Schedule Report and then select Export TXF from the face of the report (upper-right).

Option #2).  From the menu bar - File > Export Tax File

For my case, Option #1 seems to work as designed - I get the expected results after importing the TXF file into TTax.

Using Option #2, I find that data from tax deferred accounts is being included; erg;, dividend income, etc., received in IRA accounts is included as taxable income.
    There are no customization options, other that Tax Year, when choosing this route.

This bug has been around for some time - going back perhaps as early as QMac 2015 or 2016. I recall bug reports posted in Beta. It is still with us in the latest release.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• odysseus
    odysseus Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    I'm going to chime in here after noticing that the QMTF export function has been removed. I've argued with Marcus for a very long time about improving the export capabilities of Quicken. I've always believed him when he has said that the goal isn't to lock customers in to Quicken, but I've replied that the de facto result is nevertheless that customers are locked in -- and this is all the more true now. This is unacceptable. *Any* software product, especially one as widely used as financial management software, needs to implement a reasonable (i.e. lossless) way to exchange data with other programs. Therefore I think that proper export (no, csv export to a spreadsheet doesn't cut it) needs to be implemented *as a top-ten priority* -- one that includes investment transactions.

In the meantime, I humbly request that QTMF export be restored with all of its bugs. It's better than nothing.
  • John Keating
    John Keating Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

I'm actually one of those users though. I suspect that as the dev team has added features/changes to QM, they broke QMTF somewhere along the line. The right approach would have been for them to regression test the exporting module as new features were added since it's a pretty critical lifeline to those who commit to the app, who want to double-check reporting against other versions (as I do with QM2007), or who need capabilities beyond what the app can do.

Note that I'm not talking about its known inability to export investments (which I didn't use), but about the bugs I encountered when just trying to export an unmodified, non-investment account I'd just brought over from QM2007.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    odysseus said:

I'm going to chime in here after noticing that the QMTF export function has been removed. I've argued with Marcus for a very long time about improving the export capabilities of Quicken. I've always believed him when he has said that the goal isn't to lock customers in to Quicken, but I've replied that the de facto result is nevertheless that customers are locked in -- and this is all the more true now. This is unacceptable. *Any* software product, especially one as widely used as financial management software, needs to implement a reasonable (i.e. lossless) way to exchange data with other programs. Therefore I think that proper export (no, csv export to a spreadsheet doesn't cut it) needs to be implemented *as a top-ten priority* -- one that includes investment transactions.

In the meantime, I humbly request that QTMF export be restored with all of its bugs. It's better than nothing.

Optics are important...

• Marshall A
    Marshall A Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    When are you FINALLY going to update desktop Mac so it can sync schedule transactions up to Quicken for Web? This is a must ASAP
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

When are you FINALLY going to update desktop Mac so it can sync schedule transactions up to Quicken for Web? This is a must ASAP

You can add your VOTE for Sync Bill Reminders/Scheduled Transactions to Quicken on the Web.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS for Quicken Mobile by following the simple steps found here on the List of Requests for Quicken on the Web Features.

Your VOTES matter!

• Marshall A
    Marshall A Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Ive already DONE that.  I was a beta tester for Quicken Web and they said this feature would be out in October!!
  • jacobs
    edited February 2019

Marshall, if you were told that it was planned to be out in October and yet it's still not out yet, what does that tell you? To me, that says they ran into a problem(s) in development, internal testing or beta testing. 
  • Marshall A
    Marshall A Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Then its really simple. Instead of saying “It will be released on xx/xx/xxxx” Say “We understand this is needed and we are working on it. No ETA at this time”

OR..... dont release Quicken Web until this feature is in place. Scheduled transactions are a CORE feature of desktop, not a bells and whistles type thing. Its like putting out a car and saying “We plan on unlocking the oil cap starting on xx/xx/xxxx so you can add oil when needed. .... oh sorry, we ran into a problem. Wither stop driving or keep driving it without oil until it fully breaks down and is useless”
  • jacobs
    edited February 2019

Marshall, first, please understand that I agree with you that this is a needed feature.

That said, also understand that there are probably upwards of 50 features (I've never tried to count, but I'd guess it's in that area) that one user or another on this forum has said basically the same thing about: this is so basic... so core... what's the point of having the software if it can't do this one thing?! And these features are across almost every area of the program: budgets, reports, importing, multi-currency, investment-tracking, loans, etc.

My point is simply that what's priority/critical/can't-live-without for one user is a feature that other users find less important or completely unimportant -- and visa versa. Their approach to software development is to release things as they can, but not to hold them back until the feature set is 100% complete. For instance, the loans functionality which was released two years ago still doesn't handle all types of loans and interest; had they not released the loans feature until this was complete, we still wouldn't have loans. the budget functionality was released three years ago, but still doesn't handle some important things many users want it to; had they waited to implement every feature on the wishlist for budgets, we still wouldn't have budgets in Quicken Mac. 

If a feature is inadequate but somewhat useful, then use it; if it's truly completely unusable for you, then just don't use it (while reporting to Quicken what it would take for it to be usable for you). But understand that not everyone uses scheduled transactions. Not everyone uses Quicken Web for a complete record of their accounts. You're advocating for no release until it's optimal, but for some users, what they've released so far is better than nothing.

Again, please don't misunderstand me. I'm all for them adding this missing functionality. And, I'd love it if they would be more communicative about what's in the pipeline (and more transparent with their user base in general). I'm just trying to say that from a broader perspective, from a perspective outside just what's important to me personally, I do understand why they release things in phases, in incomplete states, without all the desired functionality, etc. -- because something is often better than nothing, and because the user feedback they get on the early incarnation of a feature helps them iterate and turn it into a more successful feature somewhere down the line.
  • odysseus
    edited January 2019
    @jacobs makes some good points (namely that everyone's deal-breaker and most-needed feature tends to be different), but I would argue the lossless data import and export is not a mere "feature," but *basic functionality* essential in just about any program, especially one with as important a market presence as Quicken. For example, in the word processing field, just about every word processing alternative to Word can import .docx files relatively successfully (or .rtf), and Word can export losslessly to rtf which is well understood (and the data is much more complex than for financial management programs). Viewing lossless export as a "feature" is deceptive because it really isn't something *any* user would have to use often -- but it becomes crucial for those rare cases when one does.

I understand Marcus' point about there being limited resources such that devoting time to import/export would take time away from adding features. However (and I may be ignorant), I find it hard to believe that improving .qif export to include investment transactions would be *that hard* or take *that long* (not that I'm against the development of a new data interchange format ...) If one argues that there's already .qxf, that's labeled "Quicken Windows Transfer File," and I understand that it's a proprietary format.

By the way, compatibility with .qif isn't merely an export issue. My French bank currently only exports to .qif. What am I supposed to do? Importing into Quicken 2007, then exporting and importing to Quicken 2019 would be a huge hassle (and wouldn't it require the creation of a new account?).
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

@jacobs makes some good points (namely that everyone's deal-breaker and most-needed feature tends to be different), but I would argue the lossless data import and export is not a mere "feature," but *basic functionality* essential in just about any program, especially one with as important a market presence as Quicken. For example, in the word processing field, just about every word processing alternative to Word can import .docx files relatively successfully (or .rtf), and Word can export losslessly to rtf which is well understood (and the data is much more complex than for financial management programs). Viewing lossless export as a "feature" is deceptive because it really isn't something *any* user would have to use often -- but it becomes crucial for those rare cases when one does.

I understand Marcus' point about there being limited resources such that devoting time to import/export would take time away from adding features. However (and I may be ignorant), I find it hard to believe that improving .qif export to include investment transactions would be *that hard* or take *that long* (not that I'm against the development of a new data interchange format ...) If one argues that there's already .qxf, that's labeled "Quicken Windows Transfer File," and I understand that it's a proprietary format.

By the way, compatibility with .qif isn't merely an export issue. My French bank currently only exports to .qif. What am I supposed to do? Importing into Quicken 2007, then exporting and importing to Quicken 2019 would be a huge hassle (and wouldn't it require the creation of a new account?).

Even if importing using QIF into QM2007 then importing that into QM2019 does create a new account, you can simply select all the transactions and click and drag all from one account register to another. So it may be a viable work around, as long as QM2007 can run on your Mac.

• odysseus
    edited January 2019
    odysseus said:

Yes, that would work, but I wouldn't want to do it on a repeated basis which would be necessary in my case.
This discussion has been closed.