Quicken for Mac Subscription 5.9.0, 5.9.1 & 5.9.2 Released

124»

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

@jacobs makes some good points (namely that everyone's deal-breaker and most-needed feature tends to be different), but I would argue the lossless data import and export is not a mere "feature," but *basic functionality* essential in just about any program, especially one with as important a market presence as Quicken. For example, in the word processing field, just about every word processing alternative to Word can import .docx files relatively successfully (or .rtf), and Word can export losslessly to rtf which is well understood (and the data is much more complex than for financial management programs). Viewing lossless export as a "feature" is deceptive because it really isn't something *any* user would have to use often -- but it becomes crucial for those rare cases when one does.

I understand Marcus' point about there being limited resources such that devoting time to import/export would take time away from adding features. However (and I may be ignorant), I find it hard to believe that improving .qif export to include investment transactions would be *that hard* or take *that long* (not that I'm against the development of a new data interchange format ...) If one argues that there's already .qxf, that's labeled "Quicken Windows Transfer File," and I understand that it's a proprietary format.

By the way, compatibility with .qif isn't merely an export issue. My French bank currently only exports to .qif. What am I supposed to do? Importing into Quicken 2007, then exporting and importing to Quicken 2019 would be a huge hassle (and wouldn't it require the creation of a new account?).

Understood. Just pointing out that this is a viable work-around until/if this gets addressed otherwise, however clumsy and cumbersome it may be.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for eliminating the effect of Remove Shares transactions on the Portfolio - Realized Gain view and the Tax Report.  However, Remove Shares still incorrectly influences the IRR and ROI performance measures for an account - by appearing to treat these transactions as complete losses (i.e. a sale for $0).  The impact can cause the IRR and ROI measures to go negative in a growth situation.  In order to have valid IRR and ROI measures for an account, I currently have to simulate a Remove Shares transaction by instead using paired Sell and Payment transactions to first remove the shares (at the correct price) and then adjust the cash in the account.  Only by doing this can I eliminate the negative effect of Remove Shares on the IRR and ROI performance measures.  It would be great if you could fix this, and I could return to using Remove Shares as intended.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

BTW, there are plenty of suggestions posted in this forum. You can browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

or if you prefer this layout:
    EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

These lists only capture and categorize about 70% of all the IDEAs in this section. Read this FAQ to learn how to see them all:
    How to Filter Conversations/Discussion Threads on this Forum (to see only what you want)

Re: #2, you can go to the next cheque # by pressing the +/- keys while in the Cheque # field. 

You may want to add your VOTE to Remember and apply start/end dates (for #1)Customizable Reminder Selection (for #6)First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Reconciliation Process, the 
    List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features and the 
    List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance)
    . Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

For any ideas that you have raised for which you do not find an entry, create one in the IDEA category so that others can also add their VOTE.

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

anita Contact Joel... He is a fellow SU in this forum and used to train and teach. He is mostly retired and located in the US but he may be able to direct you. Can't hurt to try.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-consulting-tutoring-and-training-service...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.