Add Lifetime/Retirement Planner to Quicken Mac (69 Legacy Votes)

13»

Comments

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    edited January 24
    Mike said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Thanks for your New Year message, Eric. Even better would be an announcement tha....

Thanks for your New Year message, Eric. What I would appreciate even more is an announcement that Quicken Mac is finally going to get the Lifetime Planner.

Craig, Quicken almost never discusses what new features are coming or when. This is a two-year old thread, so I wouldn't expect anyone from Quicken management to pop in here with a reply to that question.

About all we have to go on is a pledge from Quicken CEO Eric Dunn two years ago that their goal was to get the Mac product up to the level of the Windows product. Now, that almost certainly doesn't mean every single detail, widget or menu option; the assumption has been that it means some approximate form of near-parity. Whether the Lifetime Planner is part of the plan for the Mac, and if so, when, is unknown, and to my knowledge there have been no clues yea or nay about it. (If you want to stretch looking for a clue, this 2-year old idea thread hasn't been marked "Not Planned", so they haven't taken it off the table!)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John DickJohn Dick Member
    edited January 24

I don’t know how many people have not even tried the Lifetime Planner. Mind boggling. It’s what got me through most large life and financial hurtles. I “knew” I could do it thanks to Quicken.

Reporting is many times easier in the windows versions also. Mac “hard codes” most. Not flexible.

I don’t understand why recent updates haven’t fixed this difference.

I’ve never used Regina. But I am familiar with remote viewing and usage. I find them slow. But then so is windows under Parallels. I give up.

Understand the dilemma... I’ve run development shops for many years. At some point, particularly for a very old application you need to bite the bullet and redevelop or encapsulate and migrate the services over time. It’s painful but support/flexibility to do what you want with it won’t get any better. Otherwise I bet you find a new, competing product eating your lunch... unfortunately for many companies when it is too late. Eat your own lunch. Just saying. I’ve been through this scenario dozens if not hundreds of time. Just saying.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    edited January 24

I don’t know how many people have not even tried the Lifetime Planner. Mind boggling. It’s what got me through most large life and financial hurtles. I “knew” I could do it thanks to Quicken.

Reporting is many times easier in the windows versions also. Mac “hard codes” most. Not flexible.

I don’t understand why recent updates haven’t fixed this difference.

I’ve never used Regina. But I am familiar with remote viewing and usage. I find them slow. But then so is windows under Parallels. I give up.

John, I agree. I have to imagine there is some plan for rewriting the Quicken Windows app at some point, because continuing to graft patches onto patches onto patches of code that has been created in different development environments over three decades probably has some finite limit. But any misstep in that process could send users scurrying away to competing products, so they need a really well-thought out approach to any such project.

As we've seen with the Quicken Mac redevelopment from the ground up, there are many landmines. First, the developers decided not to try to build an exact replica of the old Quicken Mac (nor Quicken Windows), but to build a product that offered similar features, re-thought, to see if they could be done better, and leaner. That approach resulted in some things that are indeed better about the modern Quicken Mac than the old -- but I think they underestimated how many features, large and small, from the old product that users would clamor for; I think they had hoped to eliminate some of the things that had been grafter on over many years of development, only to find that users wanted those features back.

Now, the Mac project was a mess from the start, so it cannot be looked at as a good, clean-sheet rebuild. It was first conceived to be a pretty different product, and was infused with a bit of DNA from Mint, which Intuit bought and then promptly installed the Mint CEO as head of the Quicken division. The first effort of the Mac re-write didn't even make it out of beta. The second effort was the severely under-powered Quicken Essentials. When sales of Essentials floundered because it didn't meet the needs of many users, and the former Mint CEO departed, new Intuit management eventually decided it was time to build on the start of Essentials and turn it into a full-fledged Quicken Deluxe for Mac. Unfortunately, they assigned only a few people to the development team, so the progress was slow; when the new Quicken came out as Quicken 2015, it was really a minimum viable product -- an upgrade for long-suffering Essentials users, but a step backward for Quicken 2007 users. Over the past five years, the developers have slowly worked to build out the feature set of Quicken Mac, and after separating from Intuit, the development team was enlarged to help speed up development -- but they still have a very long list of feature requests to implement.

Bottom line: hopefully Quicken learned a lot from the Mac re-write project, and has incorporated those lessons into their long-term plan for what to do with Quicken Windows. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • hwoolfhwoolf Member
    When will Quicken for Mac have a lifelong planner?  I recently converted from the Windows version to the MAC version of Quicken but really miss the lifetime planning feature.  When will that get added to the features on the MAC version?
  • hwoolfhwoolf Member
     adding the same feature that is now in the Windows version will enable the MAC product to fulfill a significant gap in the MAC product by providing a financial planning capability and open the applicable sales to a broader market as well as solve a limitation in your installed base.