Quicken for Mac Subscription 5.10.0 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
In 5.10, we've added a number of new features.  Probably the biggest feature is the ability to create a crosstab or matrix report.  This is a summary report where the rows are things like category or payee but the columns can be tags, payees or accounts.  This is great for reporting on spending for each investment property or individuals in your family or from each credit card. This allows you to take full advantage of being able to tag transactions.  This has been a big request from a lot of our Quicken 2007 customers who have switched to the subscription product.  

5.10 also adds a thin sidebar so you can maximize the amount of information you can see in your register.  We've added a new arrow button at the top of the sidebar to shrink and grow the sidebar but you can also simply drag the right edge controlling the width.  

For Canadian customers, we've also added a new print check style for Canadian pre-printed cheques.  

Finally, there was a lot of discussion in the 5.9 release forum post about exporting to the QMTF format.  We took it out of the 5.9 release because it's not something we want to spend a lot of time on and people were complaining that it didn't do investments and there were other issues.  The consensus was that most preferred having the feature even with issues so we've added it back in 5.10.

There are also lots of stability improvements.  Let us know if you run into any issues in this forum post.  We'll be closely monitoring this post for the next week or so.

Below are the official release notes.

Version 5.10.0 (January) 
5.10 has a number of new features and stability fixes.

New Features
  • NEW 5.10 has a powerful new report capability where you can now create a crosstab or matrix report. Use New Report to create a Summary Report. Now in addition to Time you can choose Tags, Payees or Accounts for the columns. This report can be used, for example, for tracking expenses at multiple properties or across different accounts and can also be printed and exported.
  • NEW We've added a new thin sidebar that will give you more space to work with. Drag and shrink the width of the sidebar or click on the arrow at the top to display the thin sidebar. Click on the dollar sign to switch to different accounts. Drag the sidebar bar wider or click on the arrow again to expand to the original width.
  • NEW Added support for Canadian pre-printed cheques. Quicken now supports the Canadian cheque layout in the print check dialog.
Quality Improvements
  • FIXED Added back the Export to Quicken Mac Transfer File (QMTF) format.
  • FIXED Fixed an issue where loan payments were off by 1 cent. Also fixed an issue in the What if calculator if there was extra principal applied.
  • FIXED Fixed an issue with matching downloaded transactions where a warning message would incorrectly appear regarding different values even when the values were the same.
  • FIXED Changed the way the transaction matching warning works. Previously you could hide it. Now it will always appear.
  • FIXED Continued improving Single Mutual Fund account and transaction quality. Fixed an issue when trying to undo a match.
5.10.1 Fixes
  • FIXED Fixed a crash that affected a handful of customers who had a missing account name. If you see an account named "Unnamed Account", please give it a name by going to Account Settings.
  • FIXED Fixed an issue where adding a new account didn't update the thin sidebar account list.

UPDATES
1/30 - Shipped to all customers.
1/31 - We fixed a crash that would happen in some people's files where they had unnamed accounts.  Shipped 5.10.1 to resolve this issue.

Comments

• Alin
    Alin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    why have you guys changed the registry fonts? the new font (what is that Arial?) looks absolutely terrible.

please please change it back OR tell us how to change it. Use the system default font which is what i'm guessing is what the previous version was doing
  • Quicken_ChrisC
    Quicken_ChrisC Employee ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Alin said:
    why have you guys changed the registry fonts? the new font (what is that Arial?) looks absolutely terrible.

please please change it back OR tell us how to change it. Use the system default font which is what i'm guessing is what the previous version was doing
    The register in v5.10 uses the system font (San Francisco). Previously, it was using Helvetica Neue for legacy reasons: when we had to support multiple older versions of macOS, they all had different system fonts, but we wanted a consistent look everywhere so we avoided using the system font and hard-coded a custom font instead.
  • Alin
    Alin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Alin said:

The register in v5.10 uses the system font (San Francisco). Previously, it was using Helvetica Neue for legacy reasons: when we had to support multiple older versions of macOS, they all had different system fonts, but we wanted a consistent look everywhere so we avoided using the system font and hard-coded a custom font instead.

hah...that's good to know, thank you for the answer.

I can't put my finger on it, something doesn't look right. i use the Tiny option for registry rows since i'm using a 27inch monitor with quicken in fullscreen and (visually) the font size seems just a tiny bit bigger than before. probably a function of San Francisco at whatever point size your guys are using for Tiny

this goes to show you once again how some quicken users (in this case me) get so used to things been in a certain way that the smallest change makes them cry foul instead of spending time to understand the change
  • Quicken_ChrisC
    Quicken_ChrisC Employee ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Alin said:
    Alin said:

hah...that's good to know, thank you for the answer.

I can't put my finger on it, something doesn't look right. i use the Tiny option for registry rows since i'm using a 27inch monitor with quicken in fullscreen and (visually) the font size seems just a tiny bit bigger than before. probably a function of San Francisco at whatever point size your guys are using for Tiny

this goes to show you once again how some quicken users (in this case me) get so used to things been in a certain way that the smallest change makes them cry foul instead of spending time to understand the change

Yeah, San Francisco definitely has different metrics from Helvetica Neue. I've been looking at it for a while during development, so I'm used to it now. :) But I agree that there are potentially some tweaks we can make, perhaps adding some font size options. (Right now, the View > Register Rows menu item only affects the vertical margins of the register rows.)
  • Shirley Winkler
    Shirley Winkler Member ✭✭✭
    I previously used Quicken for a PC and it had the option to look use a custom date to look at projected balances in the Bills & Income tab.  The Mac version does not have that - don't you all agree that this should be added?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2019
    RCinNJ said:
    This is off topic, but I don't know where to post it. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FORUM? Is this someone's idea of a better layout? Also, I had to create a new password to get in and my history (shown as points) is gone. Also, there is no "Follow" button. Is someone going to post an announcement of the changes to how the forum works or is this some weird glitch?

To learn about the new community, go here: https://community.quicken.com/categories/quickencommunity_new_to_the_community.
  • Quicken Marcus
    I previously used Quicken for a PC and it had the option to look use a custom date to look at projected balances in the Bills & Income tab.  The Mac version does not have that - don't you all agree that this should be added?
    Can you tell me why a specific date is critical for your use case?  I'm just wondering why picking a range that includes the date doesn't provide the same functionality?  For example, if I'm looking for the cash flow on 2/7 picking the next 14 days would show me the cash flow on 2/7.  Just want to make sure I understand the use case.  One of the complaints we get from new users is that the products are overly complicated and they can't figure out how to use them so we're trying to avoid adding features to the Mac simply because Quicken Windows has it.
  • I've repeatedly tried to update to the newest version and upon "installing and relaunching" I get an update error (error while extracting the archive).  I am then asked to try again later with the only option to cancel update.  Subsequently I get another pop-up that says the new version will be available next time I run Quicken.  Well, that is not the case.  Suggestions?
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    Since updating to 5.10.1, my checking account no longer shows scheduled transactions. I have the account set to show all scheduled transactions for the next 90 days. The schedule transactions show up in the bill and income tab. It worked fine on 5.9.2.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Since updating to 5.10.1, my checking account no longer shows scheduled transactions. I have the account set to show all scheduled transactions for the next 90 days. The schedule transactions show up in the bill and income tab. It worked fine on 5.9.2.

Ignore my previous comment. I found my problem. I was clicking on the wrong column .
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yeah, San Francisco definitely has different metrics from Helvetica Neue. I've been looking at it for a while during development, so I'm used to it now. :)
    @Quicken Chris , I agree with the previous comment that this font is worse. Helvetica is one of the most readable fonts, especially for columns of numbers. I understand wanting to standardize fonts and embed a font rather than depend on the system -- but why not use one of the Helvetica family for its superior readability? The Helvetica New font is also more compressed than San Francisco; I now get fewer characters per field when compared to before, so I need to widen many of my columns and make my Quicken window wider just to see the same information. Helvetica Neue is generally regarded by type enthusiasts as one of the best (albeit more boring) fonts in the world, and there's a reason it is so widely used. San Francisco was Apple's rework of Helvetica, partly for screen eligibility at every small sizes, but also just to be uniquely Apple. I'd strongly encourage you to revert to Helvetica Neue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Alin
    Alin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    jacobs said:
    Yeah, San Francisco definitely has different metrics from Helvetica Neue. I've been looking at it for a while during development, so I'm used to it now. :)
    @Quicken Chris , I agree with the previous comment that this font is worse. Helvetica is one of the most readable fonts, especially for columns of numbers. I understand wanting to standardize fonts and embed a font rather than depend on the system -- but why not use one of the Helvetica family for its superior readability? The Helvetica New font is also more compressed than San Francisco; I now get fewer characters per field when compared to before, so I need to widen many of my columns and make my Quicken window wider just to see the same information. Helvetica Neue is generally regarded by type enthusiasts as one of the best (albeit more boring) fonts in the world, and there's a reason it is so widely used. San Francisco was Apple's rework of Helvetica, partly for screen eligibility at every small sizes, but also just to be uniquely Apple. I'd strongly encourage you to revert to Helvetica Neue.

agree @jacobs, the numbers are looking a bit funny.

honestly, the best option would be to add the ability for users to configure the fonts and sizes
  • Brendan
    Brendan Member ✭✭✭
    I use Quicken all the time and for many, many years so I am in favor of supporting the product and organization, but I continue wonder the 'value' I am getting from my two year subscription.

Just food for thought:

What is the difference between fixes and quality improvements?   All of the Quality Improvements start with the word fixed.

In terms of New Features- hiding a side bar just seems like a quality improvement to me. It doesn't allow me to do anything new with the core of your product.  A new report function also seems like a quality improvement.  The ability to print checks in the Canadian format.  Again, seems more like quality improvement rather than new feature, but I'll give you this one.  

So far not impressed with the subscription process.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that there are potentially some tweaks we can make, perhaps adding some font size options. 
    @Quicken ChrisC you do realize the demographics of users of Quicken products, right, that being of a predominantly aging population? The word "perhaps" does not seem fitting here. 

Here is the thread asking for such a feature for a very long time. 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7351929/add-ability-to-change-font-settings-size-font-color-etc-in-quicken-for-mac

It has 166 votes prior to moving to this forum. It is near the top 10 most requested feature for years (out of hundreds of requests). Notwithstanding the other high demand features, should it maybe treated as more than just a "perhaps" idea? Just a thought. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• FredAMertz
    FredAMertz Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    By your own admission, voting up a feature holds no weight with Quicken.  They do what they want when they want.

So, voting a feature up is a waste of time.  Might make you and those voting up feel better, and Quicken might even look at it...but it has zero to do with what Quicken feels it's users want.

For example, the added nuisance reminder sidebar for expired subscriptions.  Quicken basically told it's users "too bad".  Thats just the way it is.

Same for other upvoted issues.  Users are silently told "we'll get to it when we feel like it, if we feel like it".  
  • Quicken Marcus

Ignore my previous comment. I found my problem. I was clicking on the wrong column .
    James, thanks for letting us know it is working for you.
  • Quicken Marcus
    I've repeatedly tried to update to the newest version and upon "installing and relaunching" I get an update error (error while extracting the archive).  I am then asked to try again later with the only option to cancel update.  Subsequently I get another pop-up that says the new version will be available next time I run Quicken.  Well, that is not the case.  Suggestions?
    Delete your app and download it again from https://www.quicken.com/download
  • Quicken Marcus
    barbaraok said:
    So you send out upgrades, now I can't get the budget feature to work.  For 12 months, it is ok, for 1 month all of a sudden some expenses are included as Income and I can't figure a way to get it fixed.   The whole 1 month budget view is HORRENDOUS.   Did you work overtime to figure out how to make something that is a totally dysfunctional?  Then add to that the fact that I couldn't log in and it wasn't just the password, it didn't like the username that I had been using!   To say I'm angry is to minimize my frustration.   And I have received an email from a friend asking if I could recommend Quicken to her!
    Can you provide more details about what specifically isn't working for you so we can reproduce the issue and fix?  I can see Personal Income: Paycheck and Personal income: Interest Earned appear in my 1-month budget.  Also, since we haven't changed or updated the 1-month budget view in years, can you provide an explanation of what makes it horrendous and dysfunctional to you and what if anything is working differently in 5.10 than it did in 5.9?
  • jacobs
    By your own admission, voting up a feature holds no weight with Quicken.  They do what they want when they want. So, voting a feature up is a waste of time.
    I disagree. An idea with a lot of votes isn’t guaranteed to be implemented. There are a lot of factors which go into what they work on, including the complexity, which developers are needed to work on certain aspects of the program and what they are tasked with, and which things are deemed higher priorities.

The product manager has actively encouraged user voting and comments, and has said it helps them prioritize and understand issues. We’ve send them do things influenced by user votes.

I know there are still lots of things we users want them to do. I have my list of wishes, as do you, and they can’t do them all, at least not quickly. But that doesn’t mean they don’t listen, don’t care, and don’t look at user input.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Brendan said:
    I use Quicken all the time and for many, many years so I am in favor of supporting the product and organization, but I continue wonder the 'value' I am getting from my two year subscription.

Just food for thought:

What is the difference between fixes and quality improvements?   All of the Quality Improvements start with the word fixed.

In terms of New Features- hiding a side bar just seems like a quality improvement to me. It doesn't allow me to do anything new with the core of your product.  A new report function also seems like a quality improvement.  The ability to print checks in the Canadian format.  Again, seems more like quality improvement rather than new feature, but I'll give you this one.  

As you've surmised, quality improvements and fixes are the same thing and means the change we made makes the feature work the way it was intended.  We consider a new feature as something that we add that didn't exist before.  But you make a fair argument that from your perspective there may be little difference.  With that said, the subscription isn't just about new features. It's about maintaining the product and keeping it up-to-date with MacOS updates and other technology changes.  For example, many banks are changing the way they want Quicken to connect to them so we have to rewrite and completely change the way transactions are downloaded.  This is a going to take a year to complete.  This work is part of your subscription.  Also, getting updated quotes, transactions, bill updates, improved help, etc on an ongoing basis has to be accounted for based on Sarbanes-Oxley rules which has also forced a lot of companies into the subscription model.  Don't get me wrong, the subscription model is a better business model for software companies but a lot of this started with the change in accounting rules and the Internet allowing for continuous and indefinite updates. 
  • Brendan
    Brendan Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Brendan said:

Just food for thought:

As you've surmised, quality improvements and fixes are the same thing and means the change we made makes the feature work the way it was intended.  We consider a new feature as something that we add that didn't exist before.  But you make a fair argument that from your perspective there may be little difference.  With that said, the subscription isn't just about new features. It's about maintaining the product and keeping it up-to-date with MacOS updates and other technology changes.  For example, many banks are changing the way they want Quicken to connect to them so we have to rewrite and completely change the way transactions are downloaded.  This is a going to take a year to complete.  This work is part of your subscription.  Also, getting updated quotes, transactions, bill updates, improved help, etc on an ongoing basis has to be accounted for based on Sarbanes-Oxley rules which has also forced a lot of companies into the subscription model.  Don't get me wrong, the subscription model is a better business model for software companies but a lot of this started with the change in accounting rules and the Internet allowing for continuous and indefinite updates. 

Thank you Marcus.  I appreciate the feedback.  SOX and in general information security has certainly driven the up the cost of IT- so I guess we're all feeling it.   

On a side note, I submitted a question to the Bank Accounts, Downloading, and Categorizing section within the Mac forum today regarding attachments.  It's not an issue, but a best practices question which I could use some guidance from Quicken staff before I go down the path I am too far.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Anybody notice that the link in 5.10.1 takes you to nowhere?  It lands me on a Quicken "page not found" page.  Please address this missed link issue.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • jacobs
    edited February 2019
    Snoopy FC said:
    Anybody notice that the link in 5.10.1 takes you to nowhere?  It lands me on a Quicken "page not found" page.  Please address this missed link issue.  

@Snoopy FC just to clarify, you are referring to the Help menu link to Quicken Community, right? I agree, this is broken. I can also confirm this problem exists with Quicken 2017 and Quicken 2016.

I don't know if this is something that needs to be patched in the program code, or if it is something than can be fixed with a URL redirect on the new site. I submitted a bug report about it on the beta testing site, in case it's an application problem; I'm calling it to the attention of @Quicken Kathryn here in case it's a website problem.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    jacobs said:
    Snoopy FC said:

@Snoopy FC just to clarify, you are referring to the Help menu link to Quicken Community, right? I agree, this is broken. I can also confirm this problem exists with Quicken 2017 and Quicken 2016.

I don't know if this is something that needs to be patched in the program code, or if it is something than can be fixed with a URL redirect on the new site. I submitted a bug report about it on the beta testing site, in case it's an application problem; I'm calling it to the attention of @Quicken Kathryn here in case it's a website problem.

Yes.  I'm referring to the link inside the Quicken desktop program.
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    When I click "Post Comment", my comment disappears. Sorry if this is leading to multiple postings! However, I don't think the post I am talking about is posting. I was able to start this post, save it, and then add to it. Maybe there is something in what I was trying to post in my original message that is causing it not to be saved?

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like before I click "Post Comment" (and then disappears).

• Billw585
    Billw585 Member
    I am having trouble (I believe after the last update) with my investment data being saved.  After entering my Distribution Amount and number of shares, the transaction window shows the information correctly and calculates my Price per share.  However, after clicking "Save", the Distribution information has been saved; however, the Number of shares information defaults to "O" which affects my portfolio value totals.  I never had difficulty with this before.  I tried it on my older Quicken software (2007) and it works perfectly.  Is it possible that this is a glitch in the last Quicken update?  My Quicken version is for a Mac: Version 5.10.1 (Build 510.25438.100) and I am running a macOS 10.13.6.

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    I no longer see a way to respond to posts below the original. I am responding to Jacobs post and link:

"Here is the thread asking for such a feature for a very long time." 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7351929/add-ability-to-change-font-settings-size-font-color-etc-in-quicken-for-mac 

I may be alone in finding the new forum format confusing and limited (others appear not to find it so). In any case, I followed jacobs' link and no longer see a way to vote, or any record of the votes this feature request has received. If this ability to vote has indeed been lost, I believe any discussion of whether the number of votes for a feature request will increase the likelihood of its been implemented is moot.
  • BeauSoleilGT
    BeauSoleilGT Member ✭✭
    Alin said:

After updating to Quicken Mac v5.10 and then a day later to v5.10.1, my registers' font size got MUCH smaller. Formerly the Font size matched the size of the Accounts List on the left side but now the Register's font is much smaller... so small it's all but illegible when greyed out. I called Premium support yesterday and the nice rep knew nothing about the change nor how to make my register font larger as I gather you can in the PC version. I assumed the change was due to requests from older Quicken for Mac users like me (i.e. 2007 and older) who miss the two row register which allowed more space in each field than the single row register, especially on narrow laptop screens. Now Quicken ChrisC's comment suggests that was not the intent. We need a register Font Size user preference... please! And longer term, a user preference to use a two row register as it was done for nearly 30 years.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IDEA threads to vote on were not carried over the same way from the old forum. At this time they have to all be re-categorized into the way this site manages them (all 1000+ of them, for Mac and Windows). Until then, they cannot be voted on.

Also, all the old vote counts have apparently not transferred over BUT we are told that the counts have been preserved offline. 

Not sure what good they will be if they are not reincorporated back into this site. Not sure what solution is being worked on, if any.

It may be a while but stay tuned...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.